Emotiva XDA-2
Feb 14, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #16 of 39
Thanks for posting your initial impressions! I will probably order one of these soon too. I'm planning on using it as a dac and having it replace the preamp portion of my integrated amp, which is probably a different use than most people here would be interested in. I'll still post my impressions too when I eventually get it though!

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #17 of 39
Quote:
Thanks for posting your initial impressions! I will probably order one of these soon too. I'm planning on using it as a dac and having it replace the preamp portion of my integrated amp, which is probably a different use than most people here would be interested in. I'll still post my impressions too when I eventually get it though!

order it now!

Emotiva has a "factory refurbished" sale going on.....I got mine for $225. The sale ends tomm....

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #18 of 39
Either it's already over, or well hidden on their website.

By the way, that

XSP-1

Differential Reference™ Preamp

on their website looks pretty cool, but only an 1/8" headphone jack. 

Is Emotiva known for having any certain house sound at all?

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #19 of 39
Quote:
order it now!

Emotiva has a "factory refurbished" sale going on.....I got mine for $225. The sale ends tomm....

Do you have a link for the sale? I can't seem to find it on the site... I actually just put an order for a new one in a couple minutes ago. Looks like I'll be calling to cancel if I can pick up a refurb.

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #20 of 39
Quote:

Do you have a link for the sale? I can't seem to find it on the site... I actually just put an order for a new one in a couple minutes ago. Looks like I'll be calling to cancel if I can pick up a refurb.

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=announcements&action=display&thread=28951

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #21 of 39
Thanks a lot!

They had more XDA-2's left and I just changed my order! I really appreciate the heads up about that sale!

Feb 21, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #24 of 39
Quote:

kinda nice saving $175 bucks isnt it?

I had to pay shipping too...but it is certainly nice! I'm very grateful! Sometimes saving a little money requires some patience though. I finally got my partial refund today, and will get my XDA-2 tomorrow. They mistakenly sent me a new unit, but caught the mistake before it was delivered, so I had to wait a couple extra days. I plan on posting some impressions after I have a good chance to listen to it. I'm surprised these aren't more popular around here, especially with the changes from the XDA-1.

Feb 21, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #25 of 39
I have the XDA-2 and really like it. I bought it to upgrade to from the XDA-1, which I really loved. After Big Dan's comments about how good the 2 was going be on the Emo forum, I had to try it. Totally worth it. I did just get a PS Audio PWD Mk II too, so I will probably let the XDA-2 go (sold the 1 already), but I'm not sure that I don't like the sound on the Emo better! I'll give it a few more weeks.

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #26 of 39
Quote:
I have the XDA-2 and really like it. I bought it to upgrade to from the XDA-1, which I really loved. After Big Dan's comments about how good the 2 was going be on the Emo forum, I had to try it. Totally worth it. I did just get a PS Audio PWD Mk II too, so I will probably let the XDA-2 go (sold the 1 already), but I'm not sure that I don't like the sound on the Emo better! I'll give it a few more weeks.

That's a pretty impressive testimonial that you would mention the XDA-2 in the same breath as the PS Audio PWD Mk II. I know that the feature sets are quite different, but it is still impressive. I look forward to any further comments you may have about the XDA-2. 
smile.gif

Feb 25, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #27 of 39
Finally got my XDA-2 hooked up in my system today. I'll save more in depth sound impressions for later, but I'm really liking it so far. I'm using it as a dac and preamp replacing the preamp section of my RR2150, so keep that in mind when I post any comparisons. I'm using both a coax input from an old DVD player and the usb input from a computer, which requires you to download and install drivers from emotiva's website. The computer is running Vista, which has not been officially tested, but I've had not problems. So far, I am happy with the usb implementation as it is not noticeably different from the original CD through coax, although I haven't played around with the built-in sample rate converter. I really appreciate the implementation of the volume control; it has a very wide range, which comes in handy since, when using the RR2150's preamp, I did not have fine control of the volume through the remote at the levels I listen. I haven't tried out the headphone section yet, but I think this product is certainly more geared towards the speaker crowd in both form and function. In terms of sound, and only comparing from memory, I don't think this is as big of an improvement over the RR2150's DAC (which I actuall preferred to my old HRT MS II) as when I hooked up my HRT MS Pro in my same system, but even if this impression holds for me, the features of the XDA-2 will definitely make it a keeper for me.

Feb 26, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #28 of 39
Quote:
Anyone care to post their impressions of how the XDA-2 *sounds*?

I've had mine burning in for about a week now and did some A/B comparisons with the DAC in my Oppo BDP-93.  I don't claim to be an expert but, so far I can't hear any significant difference between the two.  As far as the headphone out, which I see a merely a bonus, it doesn't sound as good as the Schiit Asgard 2 as expected.  But, overall I'm happy with the purchase because of the decent sound and feature set.  The 1U form factor definitely stacks nicely on top of my BDP-93.  I just wish Emotiva would end their pre-occupation with that damn garrish blue lightning and silver accents.  At least have an option for turning off the "halo" lighting around the buttons while leaving the VFD on.

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #29 of 39
Had my XDA-2 for a couple weeks now, so it should be burned in enough to do a proper review. 

My initial impressions were not very good, as I stated my Aune was walking all over it in every department. Since then, it has opened up bigtime. 

First is the soundstage. Its HUGE. The music really wraps around you. 

The treble, while just a tad soft, is very smooth and detailed. 

Midrange is nice and crunchy. Full bodied, lush, etc. A good guitar riff will make you smile!

The bass is very punchy, yet nice and tight. Very controlled. 

So far I am very happy with it. 

Now for the headphone section. 

It seems to be aimed at lower impedence and very efficient headphones. My Grado 325's sound great, while my HD600's sound weak. My DT990's seem to lack midrange. Still up in the air on the headphone section. 

As you can tell i am not a professional reviewer at all......

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #30 of 39
How's the emotiva xda 2 coming along? I just pulled up some data on the x1 aune you mentioned. Only 199 for it? The website states it only gets 16 bit ability when using usb link? What is the final verdict of best dac at this point?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back