Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 19, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #23,776 of 40,684
Nice review! I’m in toronto, I’ll have to give the shop a visit sometime down the line. I have UE 18 reshells that are starting to crack - crazy glue has held them together after one complete crack, but I see others forming.

Unique Melody did the reshell, but the quality was lousy (fit was good). And because the cracks started more than a year after the reshell, they washed their hands if it and said tough luck. They sound good (the UA 18), but never blew me away.

I’ve actually haven’t anything else from UE aside from the UE 900 back a while back. And as for UM I still have to hear them.

Aug 19, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #23,777 of 40,684
You get the Layla from Charles too? I regret not snapping it when he was clearing the FMJ model. JH is still a very distant dream for me.

Another endorsement of Henry's skill. Just drop off the Stormbreaker and replace it with a 4.4 when you end up buying Odin :p

Yeah, I got the Layla from Charles when they were released. I actually wanted the FMJ version but it was heavier than my carbons.

And yeah man, Henry is good lol I currently have 2 of his pure copper cables. One for my SE846 and for the Layla. Can’t wait to try the pure silver for my FitEar.

Aug 19, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #23,778 of 40,684
It’s not entirely up to EE. Reviewers tend to choose what they’re interested in reviewing - I paid full retail for my Odin but as it was a “review” unit I got it very early in order to start providing impressions and featuring it in other posts

Uhh... I don't think this is true. :D

Aug 19, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #23,779 of 40,684
Uhh... I don't think this is true. :D
I suppose it depends on cases when a reviewer approaches a company to review something vs the company approaching the reviewer. I’ve heard of plenty of times when someone approached a company to review something but I might be completely wrong here :)

Aug 19, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #23,780 of 40,684
I suppose it depends on cases when a reviewer approaches a company to review something vs the company approaching the reviewer. I’ve heard of plenty of times when someone approached a company to review something but I might be completely wrong here :)

Even when you're the one approaching the company to review something, you're probably not gonna come at them with a shopping list in hand, are you? Even if they do let you suggest what you'd prefer to review, I - in my experience - don't think it's often enough to the point where you can say, "Reviewers tend to choose what they're interested in reviewing." That's quite the strong generalisation. In any case, a reviewer being the one to approach the company to review something is completely different from a reviewer specifying what they'd like to review from the company; obviously.

Aug 19, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #23,781 of 40,684
Even when you're the one approaching the company to review something, you're probably not gonna come at them with a shopping list in hand, are you? Even if they do let you suggest what you'd prefer to review, I - in my experience - don't think it's often enough to the point where you can say, "Reviewers tend to choose what they're interested in reviewing." That's quite the strong generalisation. In any case, a reviewer being the one to approach the company to review something is completely different from a reviewer specifying what they'd like to review from the company; obviously.
Yup you’re right, mb there ^^ 👍

Aug 19, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #23,782 of 40,684
I'm curious to hear more impressions on the Hero, my sense from this thread is it's not really a bass-centric thread, while the Odin is (with obviously a lot more refinement). My only EE experience is the LX so hard for me to visualize if the Hero retains that kind of thump bass or is more like EE's answer to the Nio/Solaris, meaning not nearly as much emphasis on bass as the LX. I'm assuming it is more like the Nio, which has a lot more bass presence than the Solaris (or perhaps more like the Z1R bass levels). For me personally I marveled at the LX but just found it crowded the stage too much in what I listen to.
Odin is not bass centric. It has the perfect amount of bass. The Odin is everything-centric. Very very coherent. The Hero is W shaped and everything comes through clearly. Bass is closest to the Valkyrie on Hero but more refined and controlled.

Aug 19, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #23,783 of 40,684
Odin is not bass centric. It has the perfect amount of bass. The Odin is everything-centric.
Care to elaborate a smidge on this?

:upside_down:

Aug 19, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #23,784 of 40,684
I'm a few hours in on Hero listening at this point, and where Odin hits like a stack of high end studio monitors, Hero hits like a high end satellite style surround system. There's clear accentuation of certain frequencies (Maybe like 90Hz, 600Hz, and 4kHz, but don't quote me on that), so certain musical elements really stand out. Where I think the Odin has "better" bass overall, the Hero sometimes has a "thump" that hits a little harder and dynamic builds in a song hit a little bit differently because there's a touch of presence added to highlight that cymbal crash or violin swell.

The Hero has a very immediate sound which highlights exciting elements of the music well, where the Odin by comparison provides a full rich picture and lets you use your own ears to highlight the things that you want to hear.

Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com
Aug 19, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #23,785 of 40,684
Odin is not bass centric. It has the perfect amount of bass. The Odin is everything-centric. Very very coherent. The Hero is W shaped and everything comes through clearly. Bass is closest to the Valkyrie on Hero but more refined and controlled.

Man the way you describe the Odin I will be somewhat disappointed if it doesn’t make me want to sell all of my IEMs. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back