Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 19, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #23,821 of 40,684
Such emotion on display just talking about the Odin ... I can only imagine the emotion when we get our Odins. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #23,822 of 40,684
Yeah no. The Odin is a really good IEM but creating such expectations is also plain unhealthy for the brand.

I own the A18S and it’s an IEM that comfortably goes toe to toe with the Odin, while the andromeda 2020 is easily the most solid IEM I’ve heard around the 1000$ mark

Posts like this only end up pushing people away from Empire Ears, the same way a whole lot of people I know won’t touch iBasso because of the fanboys on their thread
I cannot speak to the A18-S vs the Odin. He is obviously very happy with the Odin. Let him express it. We know some may be true and some might be hype. As more reviews come in we will learn more and you will review as well.

You seem to like a very colored sound, so he might even be correct for some of us. Just keep describing what you all hear. The 64 Audio thread is full of hype. It drives me crazy sometimes. Anyway, let CL be happy! My Yankees are losing, so glad to see someone is happy!

Aug 20, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #23,823 of 40,684
Hey I completely get you, and have total respect for what you guys do! Without you this hobby would be stillborn - I wish we had people like you where I live.

My comment was more tongue-in-cheek, wasn't looking to offend, so apologies if I did. I will say I dislike OTT hype about as much as I dislike.inaccurate and unfounded criticism. I get that new products are a labour of love for many, but when it comes to offering critical advice for hardworking people, there comes a point where comments from experienced users need to be more responsible than "oh this is just amazing guys, buy it!"

I think if you read @aminus's comments he was actually quite complementary of Odin, and although he came down on some of the others, I get why. But his is a particular type of review, and at least it's backed up by experience, thought and music examples. For me as a consumer, his type of review is more useful than the cheerleading that goes hand in hand with a new product launch.

Just my opinion, of course.

Yeah we're really chill people here and love our work. We're also cafe people and love happy vibes- hope you'll get to visit us one day. Stay safe wherever you are ! Keep reading, keep listening. No offence taken at all, it's all good.

Aug 20, 2020 at 2:17 AM Post #23,824 of 40,684
Ibget ll
Yeah we're really chill people here and love our work. We're also cafe people and love happy vibes- hope you'll get to visit us one day. Stay safe wherever you are ! Keep reading, keep listening. No offence taken at all, it's all good.
I absolutely the vibe and the concept you guys have there! Wish we had something like this where I live, would definitely be a regular :D

Aug 20, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #23,825 of 40,684
I cannot speak to the A18-S vs the Odin. He is obviously very happy with the Odin. Let him express it. We know some may be true and some might be hype. As more reviews come in we will learn more and you will review as well.

You seem to like a very colored sound, so he might even be correct for some of us. Just keep describing what you all hear. The 64 Audio thread is full of hype. It drives me crazy sometimes. Anyway, let CL be happy! My Yankees are losing, so glad to see someone is happy!
The Odin is an absolutely excellent IEM - do not get me wrong, I am anything but dissing it. As I mentioned in another post it’s easily top 2 reference monitors on the market right now, and I’m not even comparing it to heavily colored IEMs like the thummim

Aug 20, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #23,826 of 40,684
I really don't understand why people are feeling the need to have a go at @CL14715. All he's doing is giving everyone his impressions about a purchase he is very happy with and providing much requested impressions when there weren't many available. Yes, he might like that particular signature more than others and yes, he might be a little over-excited because of the circumstances surrounding the purchase of the items but he has clearly provided that context to us all, so any rational readers can take that into account when reading his impressions. I, for one, am very grateful for his early impressions of both models and want to thank him for taking the time to share them with us. He is by no means obligated to do so and he is totally entitled to his opinions, however enthusiastic. As everyone keeps saying, this is a very subjective hobby. With that in mind, please allow others to have their own subjective opinions even if you don't necessarily agree with them. There is no room for bullying or snobbery here. And as for @JackVang, I cant imagine he is concerned that glowing reviews of the products that he and his father have worked incredibly hard on and are, no doubt, incredibly proud of, are going to harm their business. Let's get back to enjoying that which we are all very passionate about and be please be courteous to each other. Thank-you.

Aug 20, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #23,828 of 40,684
Without making anything more of this issue than is necessary, I'll just say there's a difference between criticising an IEM and criticising comments that are perceived as hype. Criticising an IEM without hearing it is a bit silly, but criticising someone hyping an IEM (which invariably involves downplaying other IEMs) is frowned upon by some. Also, anyone who comments here - myself included - should be willing and able to engage in a frank debate (and take criticism just as easily as praise), as long as it's fair and on point and not an attack on the person. Now let's move on an enjoy the toys that cost us all way too much money! :smirk:

Aug 20, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #23,829 of 40,684
Without making anything more of this issue than is necessary, I'll just say there's a difference between criticising an IEM and criticising comments that are perceived as hype. Criticising an IEM without hearing it is a bit silly, but criticising someone hyping an IEM (which invariably involves downplaying other IEMs) is frowned upon by some. Also, anyone who comments here - myself included - should be willing and able to engage in a frank debate (and take criticism just as easily as praise), as long as it's fair and on point and not an attack on the person. Now let's move on an enjoy the toys that cost us all way too much money! :smirk:
This is correct and I agree. I saw what appeared to be criticism going a bit more in a personal route than simple disagreement and decided to stop it there. No harm, no foul. I’m happy to have a heated debate with anyone I’d just not rather stink up this thread with it and take attention away from the Empire Ears crew.

Aug 20, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #23,830 of 40,684
It's crazy where everything has be blind buy these days or rely on a few reviewers who got the items for free in return for a unbiased review.

Aug 20, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #23,831 of 40,684
It's crazy where everything has be blind buy these days or rely on a few reviewers who got the items for free in return for a unbiased review.

Yes. There’s an amazing amount of group think on head fi, and honestly it’s hard to find reviews in this hobby in general thar have meaningful critiques. It’s nearly impossible when a product has just launched.

Aug 20, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #23,832 of 40,684
There’s plenty of people who have already bought an Odin at full retail and can help you. @Damz87 has one I believe and several friends have placed orders as well

Aug 20, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #23,833 of 40,684
Yes. There’s an amazing amount of group think on head fi, and honestly it’s hard to find reviews in this hobby in general thar have meaningful critiques. It’s nearly impossible when a product has just launched.
Yes, there is amazing amount of group think on headfi which is great. The problem is not everyone have the same taste. Relying on the few reviewers who get the iems for free in return must provide an unbiased review. :beyersmile:. Some manufacturer rely on these same reviewers for theirbvery existence istead of innovating.

Aug 20, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #23,834 of 40,684
@Jack Vang - still waiting for answer on my (now buried deep) question:
For ordering Hero CIEMs (once custom option becomes available), do you need new ear impressions from me? or can you re-use the ones taken by Austin during CanJam SoCal 2019 for my Bravado CIEMs?

Aug 20, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #23,835 of 40,684
Yes, there is amazing amount of group think on headfi which is great. The problem is not everyone have the same taste. Relying on the few reviewers who get the iems for free in return must provide an unbiased review. :beyersmile:. Some manufacturer rely on these same reviewers for theirbvery existence istead of innovating.

group think is generally not a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back