Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 10, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #35,191 of 40,675
These are the Mk II, I've had them since Monday night. It's like they changed, and they are just flipping awesome! I was thinking of going ESR, now I'm not sure.
What are you looking for in terms of sound signature? It seems like you are very happy with your Bravado-MkII, I feel like it's the most unrated model Empire has right now, it's one of my favorites.

Mar 10, 2022 at 11:59 PM Post #35,192 of 40,675
It seems like you are very happy with your Bravado-MkII, I feel like it's the most unrated model Empire has right now
Agreed! :heart_eyes:

Mar 11, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #35,193 of 40,675
I want something that is fairly balanced, and not too bass-heavy. I thought This was the case with Bravados, but now that they have opened up, the bass has seemed to settle down. At the same time, Im thinking, well, maybe I should go custom.

Mar 11, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #35,195 of 40,675
EE does not make its own cables. You would need to look at cable makers' offerings. Though, say you had an Odin, I'm pretty sure the cost of a 64" Stormbreaker would be close to the cost of the Odin itself. :)

Mar 11, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #35,196 of 40,675
These are the Mk II, I've had them since Monday night. It's like they changed, and they are just flipping awesome! I was thinking of going ESR, now I'm not sure.

I have tried many times to shine some light on the Bravado MKII, as I have them in custom form. They take some breaking in but afterwards it's quite a different animal. Problem is most people judge products, especially EE it seems, after a quick listen. The Legend X is the poster child for this... casted out for its bombastic nature... but now after the truth has prevailed about them after some seasoning, they are still in the conversation all these years later.

Mar 11, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #35,198 of 40,675
I have tried many times to shine some light on the Bravado MKII, as I have them in custom form. They take some breaking in but afterwards it's quite a different animal. Problem is most people judge products, especially EE it seems, after a quick listen. The Legend X is the poster child for this... casted out for its bombastic nature... but now after the truth has prevailed about them after some seasoning, they are still in the conversation all these years later.
You are quite right, they are very good, and not just wow! Just wow!

Mar 11, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #35,199 of 40,675
The thing that has always impressed me about the Legend X and now the Bravado-MKII, is that even though they are these big bombastic sounds, the bass even though it is highly elevated in both, it is very well controlled and textural, not just bloated. Most importantly I don't feel like the mids or treble are lacking detail, maybe they're not at the forefront of the sound but not missing. Best way I can think to describe either is you have a really nice set of speakers and you've simply added a subwoofer and properly tuned it for your speakers and room where it just sounds like part of the music.

Mar 11, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #35,200 of 40,675
The thing that has always impressed me about the Legend X and now the Bravado-MKII, is that even though they are these big bombastic sounds, the bass even though it is highly elevated in both, it is very well controlled and textural, not just bloated. Most importantly I don't feel like the mids or treble are lacking detail, maybe they're not at the forefront of the sound but not missing. Best way I can think to describe either is you have a really nice set of speakers and you've simply added a subwoofer and properly tuned it for your speakers and room where it just sounds like part of the music.

Bravado MKII is referred to as Legend X lite, according your impression, how much of Legend X can be experienced with Bravado MkII? I just cannot justify $2200 for a basshead IEM.

Mar 11, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #35,201 of 40,675
Bravado MKII is referred to as Legend X lite, according your impression, how much of Legend X can be experienced with Bravado MkII? I just cannot justify $2200 for a basshead IEM.

The Legend X is so much more than just a "bass head" IEM though. It's quite difficult to pull off heavy bass IEMs without making them sound like crap.

Mar 11, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #35,202 of 40,675
The Legend X is so much more than just a "bass head" IEM though. It's quite difficult to pull off heavy bass IEMs without making them sound like crap.
I agree, the Legend X while bass heavy, is not just a basshead IEM. Over the Bravado-MKII, the Legend X is definitely a step up in raw detail retrieval and increased clarity overall. The Bravado-MKII can come off as a bit dark, due to the slightly rolled off treble at times depending on the song compared to the Legend X. So there is a bit of a difference in overall sound signature between the two, but they both were definitely designed with the same goals in mind, bass emphasis without sacrificing elsewhere, just at two very different price points and I think they both reflect that. The best way for you, @wolfstar76 , to find out which you prefer or whether you think the price increase is worth it from the Bravado-MKII to the Legend X would be to listen to both and take your time to compare each. Personally for what I am looking for I prefer the Bravado-MKII, just because when I'm wanting to listen to something more bass heavy I'm generally not trying to listen critically, or the music I'm listening to isn't produced/mastered very well so I don't want it to be too revealing. Not that you can't do critical listening with the Bravado-MKII, because you definitely can, but the Legend X is much better suited for it imo.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #35,204 of 40,675
I want something that is fairly balanced, and not too bass-heavy. I thought This was the case with Bravados, but now that they have opened up, the bass has seemed to settle down. At the same time, Im thinking, well, maybe I should go custom.
I think what you want is the new prototype that Jack shared at CanJam NYC.

Mar 11, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #35,205 of 40,675
I agree, the Legend X while bass heavy, is not just a basshead IEM. Over the Bravado-MKII, the Legend X is definitely a step up in raw detail retrieval and increased clarity overall. The Bravado-MKII can come off as a bit dark, due to the slightly rolled off treble, at times depending on the song compared to the Legend X. So there is a bit of a difference in overall sound signature between the two, but they both were definitely designed with the same goals in mind, bass emphasis without sacrificing elsewhere, just at two very different price points and I think they both reflect that. The best way for you, @wolfstar76 , to find out which you prefer or whether you think the price increase is worth it from the Bravado-MKII to the Legend X would be to listen to both and take your time to compare each. Personally for what I am looking for I prefer the Bravado-MKII, just because when I'm wanting to listen to something more bass heavy I'm generally not trying to listen critically, or the music I'm listening to isn't produced/mastered very well so I don't want it to be too revealing. Not that you can't do critical listening with the Bravado-MKII, because you definitely can, but the Legend X is much better suited for it imo.
I will demo these IEMs when I get chances, maybe CanJam SoCal this fall? I guess I may have the same preference as you do as I spend most of the time with IEM during my outdoors running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back