Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 13, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #35,236 of 40,675
Hi
@ngoshawk and I were starting an interaction over on the. 64 Audio thread (I think) about the pairing between Legend x and the Eletech Socrates. I would appreciate @ngoshawk’s input on this pairing but also anyone else’s.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #35,238 of 40,675
Friends,
Two quick questions:
1. Am looking for a high-end cable for my Legend EVOs. Effect Audio cables are easy for me to get. Is there any you would recommend?
2. How is the FiiO M17 DAP if any of you have tried it, on this thread?
🙏🏻
I have only tried Leo II and a Cleo Octa with Evo and I did not like either as they both drastically reduced bass. Can't comment on the higher tier cables but I'm sure others can chime in. The best combination I found when I owned Evo was with the Stormbreaker cable from Odin which can be picked up fairly cheaply in the classifieds.

Mar 14, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #35,239 of 40,675
Friends,
Two quick questions:
1. Am looking for a high-end cable for my Legend EVOs. Effect Audio cables are easy for me to get. Is there any you would recommend?
🙏🏻
Hi pls see Head-Fi reviews on the Eletech Socrates here, by @twister6 here, and on Headfonia here. I offer these as one seeker to another, following the breadcrumbs others have left for us. I cannot attest to the SQ at this point as I have not heard it, but to me the price is right and unless something more appealing comes into my purview in the next couple of weeks, I am going for it BUT for the Legend X (which is what I have not EVO). Here is @twister6 ‘s review of Evo in which he recommends EA Centurion as the optimal pairing if one can afford it.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #35,240 of 40,675
Friends,
Two quick questions:
🙏🏻
I've cabled rolled EVO from Eletech Socrates to Illiad and Aeneid before my Genesis x EVO stock cable arrived earlier this year. TBH the stock Genesis cable provided the best synergy with EVO. Depending on the cable signature, it's either going to emphasize the bass and sub bass even more or reduce it and everything else in between. If you can provide details on what you're looking for in a new cable then members could make a recommendation rather than just buying a $$$$ cable.

Fiio M17 has great synergy with EVO. In battery mode M17 is more than adequate but I prefer Enhanced Over-ear headphone mode DC power mode. EVO already has an impressive bass and sub bass authority, M17 EOE mode emphasizes those fundamentals with layered low end presentation. M17 tone is neutral yet punchy and not clinical. It's definitely more dynamic than their other offerings and I'm impressed with Fiio's ESS and THX implementation with M17. It's one of my favorite bricks next to iBasso DX300MAX. I have a feeling the new Cayin N8ii may edge out both when it arrives this week.

Mar 14, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #35,241 of 40,675
The thing about choosing a cable is that it depends on your player, it depends on your IEMs, it depends if you have a universal and have specific tips you like, and it depends on what kind of music you listen to.

So for anyone to tell you definitively what kind of cable goes with, say, the EVO really depends on what your player is and what you listen to. You really need to put everything out there in the question and then try to balance the answers given what the responding posters have to say. Try to find posters with your equipment and your musical taste. That will get you closer to a "correct" choice.

As to cables, there are (generally) silver, gold, copper and hybrid. Generally copper may give you the best lower end but you may loose some sparkle. Generally, silver or gold may accentuate the upper end but may take away from the lower end and may give you a lot of sibilance (depending, of course, on what you attach them to). Generally, hybrids can either make all things great or make all things not so great, and if you are spending a lot of $ on them, that can be very painful. Personally, with the equipment I have, I use a good copper cable. I tried silver and, ouch.

The best thing you can do is keep asking the question while being very specific about what you have and what you listen to. Then take all of the answers, collate them, and see if you want to drop $1k-$3k on a cable based on them. The For Sale thread here is full of cables and other items that just didn't do what the buyer hoped they would do. That's the "joy" of this hobby.

Good luck in your search.

Mar 14, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #35,242 of 40,675
Hi
@ngoshawk and I were starting an interaction over on the. 64 Audio thread (I think) about the pairing between Legend x and the Eletech Socrates. I would appreciate @ngoshawk’s input on this pairing but also anyone else’s.
In reply to my own post above, at length I found @ngoshawk ’s excellent review of Eletech cables, so no further convo needed on that, at least as a response from that reviewer.

I apologize for proferring any suggestions (above) based on my reading, and defer to @olddude ‘s very sage advice. I will try to follow it on my own journey with others here.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #35,245 of 40,675
And are actually still alive?
Well- @ngoshawk is still much alive as the reviewer replied to a post just the other day. Eletech is still making the Socrates and EE selling LX (I just bought one from Andrew at Musicteck 2 weeks ago). Sorry am I missing something?

Mar 15, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #35,247 of 40,675
The thing about choosing a cable is that it depends on your player, it depends on your IEMs, it depends if you have a universal and have specific tips you like, and it depends on what kind of music you listen to.

So for anyone to tell you definitively what kind of cable goes with, say, the EVO really depends on what your player is and what you listen to. You really need to put everything out there in the question and then try to balance the answers given what the responding posters have to say. Try to find posters with your equipment and your musical taste. That will get you closer to a "correct" choice.

As to cables, there are (generally) silver, gold, copper and hybrid. Generally copper may give you the best lower end but you may loose some sparkle. Generally, silver or gold may accentuate the upper end but may take away from the lower end and may give you a lot of sibilance (depending, of course, on what you attach them to). Generally, hybrids can either make all things great or make all things not so great, and if you are spending a lot of $ on them, that can be very painful. Personally, with the equipment I have, I use a good copper cable. I tried silver and, ouch.

The best thing you can do is keep asking the question while being very specific about what you have and what you listen to. Then take all of the answers, collate them, and see if you want to drop $1k-$3k on a cable based on them. The For Sale thread here is full of cables and other items that just didn't do what the buyer hoped they would do. That's the "joy" of this hobby.

Good luck in your search.
Maps for cable seekers, lol.

Was just looking for recommendations from owners w.r.t to their takes on synergy. Found it.

But thanks anyway the elaborate guide on how to ask, assess responses etc, lol. 🙂🤗

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #35,248 of 40,675
Just wanted to let everyone know that @Jack Vang really took care of my concern and approved an exchange - even if I'm being (too) difficult about it. Too much OC on my part. But Jack was very open to discussion and really took care of me. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE! Just builds my confidence with the EE brand! :beerchug:

Also huge thanks to @Z_Showmaster for being a sport and facilitating the exchange. I know they weren't too happy of me as I was quite a difficult customer but they assisted the exchange nonetheless.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #35,250 of 40,675
Can anyone who heard the prototypes at CanJam give some impressions on how their bass responses were relative to something like the Evo or LX?
Jack made a point to tell me these were not to be his new best IEM’s. One of them I hated and the bass was less and less detailed. The other was much better but I still preferred Evo. He said he was thinking $2k or less area. I told him you already have that in the Legend. Why not just try to tighten up the bass on the Legend while somehow keeping the mids and treble the same and sell that for under $2k? He kind of smiled and then we talked about other IEM’s etc. Based on the IEM’s you have I doubt you will be into one of these as they currently exist.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back