Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 27, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #38,866 of 40,675
Shouldn't the sound signature for gold and black Ravens be identical and difference just faceplate cosmetics? I don't recall faceplates having affect on sound.

That’s what I remember as what was announced, that they are exactly same. Maybe it’s just my memory playing games.

If the steel plate is part of bcd circuitry though, the added material in the gold version would result in slightly different properties, and this would result in a slightly different sound. Would be interesting to a/b the two versions when they are out and burned in

Sep 27, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #38,867 of 40,675
I got you. We are extending the warranty for all launch edition RAVENs from one year to two years.
What about EU ? We already get 2 years warranty for everything and we pay a higher premium compared to the US. Do we get an additional year of warranty as well, meaning 3 years in total ?

Also what about the standard edition ? Apart from the gold plates, both have same shells and come with the same risks.

Sep 27, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #38,868 of 40,675
If this cable rolling business wouldn’t be a costly affair for some, I can’t help to wonder why such an every-day activity could be a point of a discussion.

I prefer to have the plugs to fit tightly, as is the case with my Custom ODIN and I always handle the plugs & tiny pins very gentle and carefully. The recessed socket from my point ov view is definitively an advantage, as it stabilises the connectors.

I had the opposite problem with another Brand, where the plugs kept falling out when wearing the IEMs – very annoying !!

(OK, I admit, as an old-fashioned “Analogue Type”, I’m pretty aware and used to handle tiny pins, expensive cartridges & associated stylus/ needles, etc.)

Regards
Urs

Sep 27, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #38,869 of 40,675
Good evening from Atlanta! I see the posts and I understand the concerns. I just want to quickly point out a few things:

1. Cable Rolling Technique - Prior to my recent update, we had not provided specific guidance on cable rolling with our products. We recognize this oversight. Rest assured, those affected will receive a replacement unit either from their dealer or us directly.

2. Guidance Included - From here on, each RAVEN unit will include a detailed guide on proper cable handling. We encourage all users to familiarize themselves with this guide, which encapsulates the points discussed here.

3. Breaking in the socket - We will be pre-enlarging the sockets on all forthcoming units and will also undertake a few rounds of cable rolling to confirm overall integrity. This adjustment in our Standard Operating Procedure is designed to minimize potential challenges for future owners.

4. For Current Owners - Dealers have been instructed to return any RAVENs in their inventory for the socket enlargement. Current owners can also avail of this service at no cost, including ground shipping. Interested parties should email me directly at Jack@Empireears.com with Leasah at support@empireears.com, accompanied by a purchase receipt.

5. For Secondhand Owners - We understand that circumstances vary but we're here to assist. Please reach out with warranty-related concerns, and we'll endeavor to support you. However, we do urge users to treat their units with care and not test their limits.

6. Socket Design and Shell Wall Thickness:

The issues some users have faced with RAVEN aren’t indicative of a design flaw. As mentioned the wall tolerances, a standard we've upheld for nearly a decade, have been tweaked slightly to be even slightly thicker in the RAVEN to accommodate the stainless steel faceplate. The main challenges arise from cable rolling and I totally get it.

RAVEN의 디자인 세부 사항을 살펴보십시오. 위에서 빨간색으로 강조 표시된 소켓은 쉘 벽에만 고정되어 있습니다. 이 특별한 디자인 선택은 음향, 인체 공학 및 구성 요소를 위한 내부 공간의 전략적 사용을 결합하여 의도적으로 이루어졌습니다. 개발 단계에서 수집한 피드백을 통해, 돌출된 소켓이나 더 큰 쉘과 같은 대안은 장치 자체가 이미 충분히 크기 때문에 잘 자리잡지 못할 것이라는 것이 분명했습니다. 3D 프린팅된 레진이므로 이 디자인은 세심한 취급이 필요합니다. 강제적이거나 각도를 벗어나는 행동은 장치를 위험에 빠뜨릴 수 있습니다.

여러 RAVEN 장치를 사용하여 중국, 대만, 일본, 한국, 홍콩 및 런던에서 실시한 포괄적인 무역 박람회 테스트에서 문제가 발생하지 않았다는 점을 강조하고 싶습니다. 이번 주말 SoCal CanJam 이벤트에 참석하신다면 RAVEN을 사용한 케이블 롤링을 직접 테스트해 보시기 바랍니다.

출시 지연과 관련하여 우리가 겪은 차질을 깊이 후회합니다. 이 글을 쓰는 동안 나는 5XX개가 넘는 RAVEN 유닛이 페이스플레이트의 최종 손질을 기다리고 있습니다. 우리는 스탠다드 에디션의 생산을 시작하고 있으며 가능한 한 많은 제품을 신속하게 배송하기로 결정했습니다.

변함없는 성원을 보내주시는 모든 분들께 진심으로 감사드립니다. 지연된 점에 대해 깊이 사과드리며, 우리가 초래했을 수 있는 실망감을 깊이 후회합니다. 귀하의 인내와 이해에 진심으로 감사드립니다.
My Raven is still being shipped. If the initial batch has no problems with rolling, can I just use it? I'm a fanboy of Empire, but I'm worried. Are there any changes other than the hole work?

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #38,870 of 40,675
That choice is up to you. You can contact your carrier and ask them if they are sending it back to Empire years to be refined with the two pin connectors or you can just keep it and be very careful with that first removal of the two pin and then, be cautious from there who knows your unit can possibly be fine

Sep 27, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #38,871 of 40,675
To give them the benefit of the doubt, it might be just flaws that made it's way in during the manufacturing process, given say there haven't been 10-20 reports of imploding ravens and just 2 units (here at least).

However, given Jack's detailed response, I can't help but wonder if my Odin will one day implode like that as well. I don't cable roll a lot by any means, but in all the Empire iems I've had, sockets were tight fresh from the box but became reasonable over time.

Shell integrity was never even an afterthought. However in light of the issue highlighting a possible structural issue, the explanation provided regarding shell thickness, and the existence of a pre-made video on how to "properly" remove the cable, it raises a doubt in mind that affects more than the Raven itself.

I've more less declared that I die on the hill that is Odin ownership, but have been eyeing a Raven LE from a fairly local dealer in the last few days. I was willing to go on Empire's reputation and pull the plug, but decided otherwise due to those concerns.
The Odin is my fav from them anyway.:beerchug: I guess most like it warmer.

Sep 27, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #38,872 of 40,675
Loooove the Odin I swapped it for the annihilator but can’t help but miss the Odin special sauce

Sep 27, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #38,874 of 40,675
If this cable rolling business wouldn’t be a costly affair for some, I can’t help to wonder why such an every-day activity could be a point of a discussion.

I prefer to have the plugs to fit tightly, as is the case with my Custom ODIN and I always handle the plugs & tiny pins very gentle and carefully. The recessed socket from my point ov view is definitively an advantage, as it stabilises the connectors.

I had the opposite problem with another Brand, where the plugs kept falling out when wearing the IEMs – very annoying !!

(OK, I admit, as an old-fashioned “Analogue Type”, I’m pretty aware and used to handle tiny pins, expensive cartridges & associated stylus/ needles, etc.)

Regards
Urs
From the bit I have learned about Empire Ears, they deal mostly with musicians. They have tight sockets so they don’t fall out of the IEM much like you mentioned. Musicians typically just get the monitors and leave them as is so it inherently works great.

Consumer market, especially this hobby some folks spend $5k and beyond on cables. So it makes sense they want to plug them into the top of the line monitors, to get that extra 1 to 2%. I spent a significant amount of time trying different cables out on Raven while it’s final tuning was being worked out and it definitely changes the sound marginally. Some for better some for worse to my preferences.

Both sides make sense so they just need to make sure durability and function serve both use cases. Definitely seems like steps are being taken to accomplish that.

Sep 27, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #38,875 of 40,675
Just received a Legend X - third time's a charm... 😊 - and the 2-pin connectors slide in and out like butter.. :) I hope it all works out with the Raven in the end. I love my EE IEMs.

Sep 27, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #38,876 of 40,675
Duplicate.

Sep 27, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #38,877 of 40,675
Also what about the standard edition ? Apart from the gold plates, both have same shells and come with the same risks.
Yep, they are the same risk, if the launch edition later batch get fixed still can get 2 years warranty? Remember we pay the same price for the standard version and still are suffering the long delay than the LE ( still doesn’t have estimated shipping date). I’m Thinking about canceling my sd order

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #38,879 of 40,675
Swapped an Odin for an Rn6 earlier this year.... now back with Odin+Rn6. Special sauce was missed, universe is now aligned and well.
Did you get the Soc8 back to stick on it too? 😜
Odin gang cheers!
Loooove the Odin I swapped it for the annihilator but can’t help but miss the Odin special sauce
*picks up pitchfork*

I don't think Raven imploding is actually problem. Just the All Father being possessive

Sep 27, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #38,880 of 40,675
Good evening from Atlanta! I see the posts and I understand the concerns. I just want to quickly point out a few things:

1. Cable Rolling Technique - Prior to my recent update, we had not provided specific guidance on cable rolling with our products. We recognize this oversight. Rest assured, those affected will receive a replacement unit either from their dealer or us directly.

2. Guidance Included - From here on, each RAVEN unit will include a detailed guide on proper cable handling. We encourage all users to familiarize themselves with this guide, which encapsulates the points discussed here.

3. Breaking in the socket - We will be pre-enlarging the sockets on all forthcoming units and will also undertake a few rounds of cable rolling to confirm overall integrity. This adjustment in our Standard Operating Procedure is designed to minimize potential challenges for future owners.

4. For Current Owners - Dealers have been instructed to return any RAVENs in their inventory for the socket enlargement. Current owners can also avail of this service at no cost, including ground shipping. Interested parties should email me directly at Jack@Empireears.com with Leasah at support@empireears.com, accompanied by a purchase receipt.

5. For Secondhand Owners - We understand that circumstances vary but we're here to assist. Please reach out with warranty-related concerns, and we'll endeavor to support you. However, we do urge users to treat their units with care and not test their limits.

6. Socket Design and Shell Wall Thickness:

The issues some users have faced with RAVEN aren’t indicative of a design flaw. As mentioned the wall tolerances, a standard we've upheld for nearly a decade, have been tweaked slightly to be even slightly thicker in the RAVEN to accommodate the stainless steel faceplate. The main challenges arise from cable rolling and I totally get it.

image (1).png

Take a look at the RAVEN’s design specifics: the socket, which you can see highlighted in red above, is anchored solely by the shell walls. This particular design choice was deliberate, marrying acoustics, ergonomics, and the strategic use of the interior space for components. From the feedback we’ve gathered over its developmental phase, it was evident that alternatives like a protruding socket or an even larger shell wouldn't sit well as the unit itself is already large enough. It is 3D printed resin and as such this design necessitates mindful handling. Any forceful or off-angle actions can jeopardize the unit.

I want to highlight that our comprehensive tradeshow tests, conducted across China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, and London with multiple RAVEN units, experienced no issues. If you are attending the SoCal CanJam event this weekend, we warmly invite you to personally test out cable rolling with RAVEN.

Regarding the launch delays, I deeply regret the setbacks we've encountered. As I write this, I am surrounded by over 5XX RAVEN units awaiting their final touch with a faceplate. We are commencing production for the standard edition and are determined to expedite the shipment of as many units as possible.

I genuinely thank you all for your unwavering support. I'm profoundly sorry for the delays, and I deeply regret any disappointment we may have caused. Your patience and understanding are truly appreciated.

Thanks for the explanation, it helps understanding the situation and wait a bit more patiently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back