Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Feb 26, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #11,342 of 40,684
I am amazed that this is happening. Final Audio has some amazing tips and its no doubt gonna be great for the new line up.

Thank you! We do our absolute best to deliver the finest IEMs we can while relying on other leading manufacturers for premium accessories. We tested a lot of tips and narrowed it down to the FA Type E and JVC Spiral Dots. We wanted to include both but we unfortunately couldn't strike a deal with JVC. The Spiral Dots are excellent if you want a slightly warmer sound.

So the Bravado is only $499 in the universal?

Wow. Seems like everything here has said it was a steal at $699. That's awfully hard to resist. :confounded:

Bravado, no doubt, will be our sleeper hit. It carries on the spirit of the late Supra as an ultra competitive IEM at a entry level price.

Feb 26, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #11,343 of 40,684
Thank you! We do our absolute best to deliver the finest IEMs we can while relying on other leading manufacturers for premium accessories. We tested a lot of tips and narrowed it down to the FA Type E and JVC Spiral Dots. We wanted to include both but we unfortunately couldn't strike a deal with JVC. The Spiral Dots are excellent if you want a slightly warmer sound.

Bravado, no doubt, will be our sleeper hit. It carries on the spirit of the late Supra as an ultra competitive IEM at a entry level price.

I love my warmth.

This is perfect news to me if I should choose to go universal.

I think EE IEMs are awesome both universal and custom to my ears since they fit nicely to my canals.

Feb 26, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #11,344 of 40,684
I personally feel the Bravado is a great value at 699. To see a price of only 499 for the UIEM is just outrageous. That is one good buy based on all the IEM's I was listening to at the show. Jack, thanks for the posts! That's awesome on the Final tips. Your partnerships are very cool.

Feb 26, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #11,345 of 40,684
I personally feel the Bravado is a great value at 699. To see a price of only 499 for the UIEM is just outrageous. That is one good buy based on all the IEM's I was listening to at the show. Jack, thanks for the posts! That's awesome on the Final tips. Your partnerships are very cool.

couldn't agree more.

And to think the Supra-II cost just as much back then...I can already see the wheels moving on the entry level iem standard with this move.

If the sound performance is just as people praised it, the Bravado universal is gonna shake the market for sure...

Feb 26, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #11,346 of 40,684

Hi Jack,
Just curious if you have tried the Sony Hybrid EP-TC50?
Cheers!

0000001060482.jpg

Photo taken from http://www.e-earphone.jp/shopdetail/000000106048/

Feb 26, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #11,347 of 40,684
Guys, I heard the Bravado's a few times and felt they were really a fun IEM. I would EASILY have a blast traveling wiht them. I think they are perfect with any music you may listen to. It's a nice full ranger and very very comfortable. To me, comfort is so important. I also fell for the Finals. Using the Spiral Dots with my Savant's right now and I liked the Final's a bit better for comfort and seal.

Feb 26, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #11,348 of 40,684
Guys, I heard the Bravado's a few times and felt they were really a fun IEM. I would EASILY have a blast traveling wiht them. I think they are perfect with any music you may listen to. It's a nice full ranger and very very comfortable. To me, comfort is so important. I also fell for the Finals. Using the Spiral Dots with my Savant's right now and I liked the Final's a bit better for comfort and seal.

I am starting to wonder just how much impressive the vantage will be if you put it like that for the Bravado.

It's actually one of my prime interest for the new line up from EE next to Phantom and Legend X.

Feb 27, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #11,349 of 40,684
Curious about what kinds of terminations people own. Do you have balanced 4.4 or 2.5? Or just use 3.5 and call it a day? If anyone has knowledge specific to the Phantom, that would be appreciated.

I've been converting towards 4.4mm due to my recent acquisition of a Sony WM1A, but I have a handful of 3.5mm stock cables I keep on hand in case I want to use my IEMs at work on the mixer board.

I fully agree with Ethan. The Legend X tends to be harsh in the upper mids region and might cause aggression in the sound. On the other hand, I feel the Phantom is rather veiled and lacks in treble extension notably for a flagship iem. My pick of the lineup would be the Vantage as it boasts good extension and brings with it great musicality.

I think it's important to distinguish between treble extension and treble accentuation or sparkle. The Phantom has excellent treble extension, producing a stable stage and an accurate reproduction of overtones and harmonics. However, its linearity plays a part in that as well. A lack of peaks in the upper-treble takes away that sense of tizz and pizzazz that one might find in IEMs like the A18, the Jomo Samba or even the Zeus, which gives the IEM an extra dose in clarity in exchange for naturalness in the overall sound. Because the Phantom is all about organicity and timbre, Nic has chosen to omit that sense of theatricality, in favour of a linear top-end for smoothness and tone. To me, resolution is still absolutely maintained through extension, and clarity isn't lacking despite the calmer top-end; even if listeners who are used to those other flagships may think otherwise.

Feb 27, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #11,350 of 40,684
I've been converting towards 4.4mm due to my recent acquisition of a Sony WM1A, but I have a handful of 3.5mm stock cables I keep on hand in case I want to use my IEMs at work on the mixer board.

I think it's important to distinguish between treble extension and treble accentuation or sparkle. The Phantom has excellent treble extension, producing a stable stage and an accurate reproduction of overtones and harmonics. However, its linearity plays a part in that as well. A lack of peaks in the upper-treble takes away that sense of tizz and pizzazz that one might find in IEMs like the A18, the Jomo Samba or even the Zeus, which gives the IEM an extra dose in clarity in exchange for naturalness in the overall sound. Because the Phantom is all about organicity and timbre, Nic has chosen to omit that sense of theatricality, in favour of a linear top-end for smoothness and tone. To me, resolution is still absolutely maintained through extension, and clarity isn't lacking despite the calmer top-end; even if listeners who are used to those other flagships may think otherwise.

Preach it! Your last paragraph discusses the biggest dilemma in high end audio and it seems to be the same in the IEM and Can arena's also. For years companies have realized that the 'excitement of 'goosing' teh highs in the 12k or up range a db to 3 will make their transducer more exciting in the store. Folks are led to believe that if you go listen to live music, that it will be presented this way. In reality it's not unless the producer rides the board a bit as in many older rock recordings. This is one reason I DO like a properly done EQ, but digitally done EQ leaves a sonic signature. For my IEM's that's not a problem, but in 2 channel audio, it's a major one. It's akin to using a digital volume control where you lose bits when you lower the volume. Think of it this way, do you watch your TV at the same brightness you do in the store under those harsh lights? If so, you will get fatigued and walk away after a show or maybe two. Same thing wiht transducers.

I feel the upper end of the Phantom is just right on really well recorded music. I threw a ton of difficult stuff at it adn with a top DAP, it shined. No fatigue and still fun. Layer after layer for goodness for my ear. We have been conditioned by many companies to 'love' that extra sparkle they produce even if it's not true to the recording. JMHO

Feb 27, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #11,351 of 40,684
People often think treble extension = sparkle, transparent = bright, and resolution = detail, because it's an easy way of analyzing sound that makes sense at face value. But in all three cases it would just mean more treble should equate to better performance, which isn't the case. In fact, while adding a large treble peak might add more clarity, it often decreases the transparency by disrupting the linearity. The Phantom objectively has better extension than 90% of the TOTL iems, and no less than either Zeus or Legend. But in overall treble quantity, it might be too laidback for people that prefer brighter tunings. That is a valid point to raise, as the Phantom won't be to everyone's liking.

Preference for brighter tunings, is perhaps analogous to growing accustomed to a large amount of sugar and salt in your diet. Once you scale the amount back, the food tastes 'bland'. The Phantom was tuned for timbre. Even so, timbre by itself isn't a quality that will appeal to everyone. There are many people that see detail as measure for performance, and the Phantom might indeed not suit them. Unfortunately, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #11,352 of 40,684
People often think treble extension = sparkle, transparent = bright, and resolution = detail, because it's an easy way of analyzing sound that makes sense at face value. But in all three cases it would just mean more treble should equate to better performance, which isn't the case. In fact, while adding a large treble peak might add more clarity, it often decreases the transparency by disrupting the linearity. The Phantom objectively has better extension than 90% of the TOTL iems, and no less than either Zeus or Legend. But in overall treble quantity, it might be too laidback for people that prefer brighter tunings. That is a valid point to raise, as the Phantom won't be to everyone's liking.

Preference for brighter tunings, is perhaps analogous to growing accustomed to a large amount of sugar and salt in your diet. Once you scale the amount back, the food tastes 'bland'. The Phantom was tuned for timbre. Even so, timbre by itself isn't a quality that will appeal to everyone. There are many people that see detail as measure for performance, and the Phantom might indeed not suit them. Unfortunately, you can't have your cake and eat it too.
I guess it helps if one plays an instrument as well as one would recognize how its meant to sound in certain recordings. In my case I play the electric guitar and have from time to time recorded stuff at home so I'm kinda sensitive to how its reproduced on different earphones which is why I love the Phantom so much. :grin:

Feb 27, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #11,353 of 40,684
I guess it helps if one plays an instrument as well as one would recognize how its meant to sound in certain recordings. In my case I play the electric guitar and have from time to time recorded stuff at home so I'm kinda sensitive to how its reproduced on different earphones which is why I love the Phantom so much. :grin:

Former drummer here. I loved the Phantom's sub bass and bass for that reason. It's accurate and it the correct proportions. Do you feel you get the proper bite with the Phantom? What about fingering and fret work? It's it as alive as you are used to on your own recordings? Decay of notes??? What about the tone???? Sorry, but I love knowing what musician's feel IRT audio reproduction. Thanks. Pete

Feb 27, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #11,354 of 40,684
Curious about what kinds of terminations people own. Do you have balanced 4.4 or 2.5? Or just use 3.5 and call it a day? If anyone has knowledge specific to the Phantom, that would be appreciated.
i have all my aftermarket IEM cables terminated in 4.4 to pair with the 1Z. Generally the stock cables with most IEM's / headphones already come with 3.5mm unless explicitly requested otherwise

Feb 27, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #11,355 of 40,684
Former drummer here. I loved the Phantom's sub bass and bass for that reason. It's accurate and it the correct proportions. Do you feel you get the proper bite with the Phantom? What about fingering and fret work? It's it as alive as you are used to on your own recordings? Decay of notes??? What about the tone???? Sorry, but I love knowing what musician's feel IRT audio reproduction. Thanks. Pete
Being a metal head, I love hearing the overall tone and the grit within the distorted guitar tones. The Phantom reproduces that really well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back