Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Nov 19, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #9,152 of 40,684
I see that you use several cables with your XR zeus, what is your feeling about them?
The Ares II and Truth copper are my favorite pairings. Neither exacerbate the bright treble and neither impede the resolution or transparency. Let me say the Zeus is brighter than most of the IEM's I have used however it's not harsh and it's never fatiguing to me. I will also add in the photo that Pinky took he has decided on the JVC Spiral Dot tips and for me I prefer a more narrow tip(Final Audio) for the Zeus.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #9,153 of 40,684
Wow, now I look at the clear and see even better how great the wiring is in those. Very nice look. I have noble Savant 2 pins and I've taken the original cable out once and the pins bend a bit and I'm almost scared to 'change' cables. Looks like the better cables have a much better connection though.

Nov 19, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #9,154 of 40,684
The new shell design is more streamlined. The Adel version did not get a refresh only the non-Adel.
Thanks for letting me know. Nice pictures by the way. I like the simple design of your universal.

Nov 19, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #9,155 of 40,684
Thanks for letting me know. Nice pictures by the way. I like the simple design of your universal.
Mine was designed and assembled by Dean. It was the first one they did with the new shell. Thank you.

Nov 20, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #9,157 of 40,684
Are there different sizing options? I have small ears so I was wondering if 14 drivers could even fit :/
Their universals are quite small and earwerkz(their old company) has even tinier demos

Nov 20, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #9,158 of 40,684
Are there different sizing options? I have small ears so I was wondering if 14 drivers could even fit :/
From the other thread, i saw that u were choosing between empire and another company and for my reccomendation, i propose an empire spartan.
Has a balanced sound signature and great bang for buck, and is cheaper than that other option. Will be slightly more expensive than the other option if u want adel

Nov 20, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #9,159 of 40,684
Spartan really is awesome. I had mine out yesterday while working on the Shanling M3s review. Beautiful combo. So musical and balanced.

Nov 20, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #9,160 of 40,684
One more thing I want to point out about the photo showing them in my ears...I am using Final Audio tips, if you use a tip such a JVC Spiral Dot they will seat further into your ear. The Final Audio, to my ears, deliver the best sound but make the Zeus stick out a bit further.

Nov 20, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #9,161 of 40,684

There are no sizing options; the Zeus's new-and-much-smaller shell is a permanent replacement to the old one AFAIK. Back when EE was first established, their universals had three different sizes based on what model you purchase. The 2-4-driver models would have the smallest shells, the 6-8-driver ones would be slightly larger, and the 10-14-driver units would have the largest shells (though it's a fairly minute difference across them all). So, if the discrepancy in size between the Zeus and the rest of the line has been reduced, your small ears should fit them just fine.

Nov 20, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #9,162 of 40,684
Great thread IRT info. Thanks to all for sharing. Love learning the history. It seems to me that size is such a huge issue IRT CIEMs. Seeing that EE now is modding the various drivers they use, I bet that there really is a limit in how many drivers can be used, until someone makes even smaller drivers that sound better. I bet that by modding the drivers, we will see even better sounding CIEM's using the same amount of drivers. or maybe fewer. The problem there is marketing. It seems like everyone want's 'more' for their money. I've personally never worried about how many, but for sound quality. Fit and comfort is just as important or even more so. IF they aren't comfy, you won't reach for them when you want to listen.

14 drivers PLUS the crossovers for them is a whole lot of drivers to fit into a properly sized shell. To me, that's pretty amazing. I've had really large ones in my ears, like the Harvey's. I personally didn't love them as they just didn't fit me properly and they really stuck out (IEM's). Their sound profile wasn't my favorite either, but that's another story. I look at pics in folks ears of the Zeus and am really surprised to see how small they truly are for a TOTL IEM. Keeps the pics coming as it's fun and giving me great ideas of what case I will go with.

Nov 20, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #9,163 of 40,684
Great thread IRT info. Thanks to all for sharing. Love learning the history. It seems to me that size is such a huge issue IRT CIEMs. Seeing that EE now is modding the various drivers they use, I bet that there really is a limit in how many drivers can be used, until someone makes even smaller drivers that sound better. I bet that by modding the drivers, we will see even better sounding CIEM's using the same amount of drivers. or maybe fewer. The problem there is marketing. It seems like everyone want's 'more' for their money. I've personally never worried about how many, but for sound quality. Fit and comfort is just as important or even more so. IF they aren't comfy, you won't reach for them when you want to listen.

14 drivers PLUS the crossovers for them is a whole lot of drivers to fit into a properly sized shell. To me, that's pretty amazing. I've had really large ones in my ears, like the Harvey's. I personally didn't love them as they just didn't fit me properly and they really stuck out (IEM's). Their sound profile wasn't my favorite either, but that's another story. I look at pics in folks ears of the Zeus and am really surprised to see how small they truly are for a TOTL IEM. Keeps the pics coming as it's fun and giving me great ideas of what case I will go with.

I completely agree. Bespoke drivers and innovations in acoustics (resonating chambers, sound tube modifications, open drivers, etc.) are the future of IEMs in my opinion. This is why I heavily support products like the Custom Art FIBAE 2, the Lime Ears Model X, the Warbler Prelude, Nocturnal Audio's upcoming Avalon and EE's very own Supra and Spartan. They are proof that great sound lies in intelligent tuning and technological innovation, and I've taken it upon myself as a reviewer to make sure these products get the attention they deserve.

Speaking of pics, here's a photo of my Zeus-XR:

ZXR-1.jpg

Both are Fallout faceplates and they look awesome in my opinion. It's a great option if you're looking for a marble-like texture with reddish accents.

Nov 20, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #9,164 of 40,684
I completely agree. Bespoke drivers and innovations in acoustics (resonating chambers, sound tube modifications, open drivers, etc.) are the future of IEMs in my opinion. This is why I heavily support products like the Custom Art FIBAE 2, the Lime Ears Model X, the Warbler Prelude, Nocturnal Audio's upcoming Avalon and EE's very own Supra and Spartan. They are proof that great sound lies in intelligent tuning and technological innovation, and I've taken it upon myself as a reviewer to make sure these products get the attention they deserve.

Speaking of pics, here's a photo of my Zeus-XR:

Both are Fallout faceplates and they look awesome in my opinion. It's a great option if you're looking for a marble-like texture with reddish accents.
Ooh, gorgeous! :hushed: Love the Fallout faceplates.

Nov 20, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #9,165 of 40,684
:heart_eyes:

Zeus-XR custom version?

Innovation is the future for the iems, after that at a cost, it must be measured so that everyone can have access to it and not limited to wealthy people.
I find that the current innovations are still rare, as for example the adel module that can democratize more.
Thanks to companies such as EE, custom art and others that offer new innovations, iem is doing better, but others remain in their base or evolves very can.

I am not an adept of innovation because it is very expensive and can be risky.
I took a big risk starting on Zeus XRA because of the price and also it is necessary to pass by the usa thus customs, but in view of the opinions, of the company which works well, I launched myself
If one day we want the iem to evolve, we must also do it

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back