Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Nov 9, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #39,451 of 40,609
As I sit down to write this update, I am reminded of the trust and patience you've all shown us during this journey with the RAVEN. It's a journey that has tested our resolve and pushed our capabilities, and your unwavering support has been the cornerstone of our progress. I assure you, every step taken, every challenge faced, has been with the singular goal of delivering a product that not only meets but exceeds the high bar we set for ourselves.

We recognized that even though only a handful of units were directly affected, there was an opportunity for us to do more—to enhance every aspect of the RAVEN, down to the finest details. In the world of manufacturing, especially in an arena as complex as metallurgy—which was new territory for us—perfect outcomes are rare. But instead of settling, we chose to rise to the occasion. These past months have been a deep dive into research and development, followed by a meticulous rebuilding process.

As we move forward, you can expect the following enhancements in all RAVEN units:

Enhanced Print Specifications
: We've honed the RAVEN's print specifications to elevate the shell's durability and the HRC's sturdiness without compromising on the thickness crucial to our signature sound tuning. Our rigorous testing has shown that the current 1mm post-processing thickness is integral to the RAVEN's acoustic performance. By refining the print parameters, we've managed to fortify the shell's resilience without altering its acoustic properties, ensuring that the RAVEN delivers the extraordinary audio experience you expect.

Strengthened Internal Assembly: We've bolstered the internal structure, focusing particularly on specifics components and key areas like the 2-pin socket area to ensure it withstands the demands of regular use. The strategic reinforcements are designed to mitigate the risk of damage from cable swapping while maintaining compatibility with .78 spec cables. Our transparent HRC innovation allows for swift and thorough quality checks, ensuring each unit is assembled and sealed to our exacting standards.

Refined 2-Pin Socket Design: In response to your valuable input, we've re-engineered the 2-pin sockets on the RAVEN. They now feature a pre-set gap of .78, designed to ensure a smoother and more user-friendly cable connection process. This enhancement aims to reduce the effort required during cable insertion and removal, thereby minimizing wear and tear. However, we still recommend a delicate touch when using cables with tighter fits, like the CON-X, to preserve the longevity of your IEMs. We've conducted extensive compatibility tests with a variety of cables from well-respected manufacturers, confirming a consistent and reliable fit across the board.

Premium Lacquer Enhancement - We've taken the RAVEN's aesthetic to the next level with a top tier German lacquer. This new finish is meticulously hand-applied, enhancing not just the durability of the RAVEN but also enriching its visual allure. The result is a more sophisticated and lustrous surface that complements the RAVEN's premium sound quality with a correspondingly luxurious appearance.

Faceplate Journey - Diving into metallurgy for the RAVEN's intricate raised logo faceplates and mirror finishes brought its share of complexities and challenges, particularly in CNC machining and coating. My hands-on approach, hand-polishing prototypes for quality benchmarking, was critical in navigating this steep learning curve. While initial attempts saw higher failure rates, our perseverance has paid off. We've emerged with faceplates that not only meet our rigorous standards but are also significantly improved with an advanced anti-fingerprint coating. This new feature ensures that the faceplates retain their aesthetic allure with minimal upkeep, making a significant impact on the overall user experience.

Enhanced Bass Experience – Many of you reminisced about the RAVEN's bass response from our early showcases at CanJam Singapore and Axpona and wanted that richer depth back. We took this to heart. As we revisited the RAVEN, we saw an opportunity not just to improve overall build quality but to enhance. The final tuning that boasts even deeper and more resolving bass, while preserving the RAVEN’s overall sound signature.

Delivery Schedule Update - Anticipation is mounting as we approach the commencement of deliveries for the RAVEN launch edition. Weekly dispatches to our dealers are set to begin next week, with the objective of having all launch edition units shipped by the first week of December. Concurrently, we are preparing for the arrival of a small, carefully curated batch of standard edition faceplates. Upon their delivery, these units will be subjected to a stringent quality assessment, affirming they meet the newly established polishing and coating benchmarks.

Should this initial batch of standard editions pass our inspection, they will be promptly assembled and forwarded to dealers holding pre-paid orders. Additionally, the broader rollout of standard edition RAVENs is on the horizon, with production and delivery anticipated to get underway by the second week of December.

Revisions for Existing RAVEN Owners - For those who've kept their RAVENs and are experiencing no issues, we respect your decision. Yet, should you opt for the updated version, we're extending an opportunity until the year's end for revisions to be made. U.S. residents can directly return their units to us. Please initiate the process by emailing Leasah at support@empireears.com and cc me Jack@Empireears.com. Do provide your shipping details and proof of purchase. We ask that you return the carrying case, the IEMs, and the coin. For our international community, your local dealer will facilitate this process, so please reach out to them for coordination.

Extended Warranty Assurance - We're reaffirming the extended two-year warranty mentioned in my prior communication. This warranty applies to the updated RAVENs as a gesture of our gratitude for your patience and understanding as we've honed and enhanced our product. Your satisfaction and confidence in our brand are paramount, and we're committed to honoring that through this warranty extension.

Handle with Care: We're proud of the advancements we've made with the RAVEN, yet we must underscore that it is an IEM delicately crafted from resin, equipped with full-sized drivers, and finished with stainless steel faceplates. It is a piece of precision audio equipment, not intended for rough handling or to endure impacts. Similar to the nature of a car's windshield, even slight physical impacts can cause microfractures that may lead to greater damage over time. Please treat your RAVEN with the same care you would any other premium audio instrument.

Thank you once again for your trust, patience, and the privilege of your time as we worked to perfect the RAVEN. It's been a humbling experience, and one that has made us even more committed to crafting exceptional auditory experiences for you.

Warmest regards,

Thanks for this.
More bass, preserving the signature is really interesting. To me current Raven sounds like there is no more space for anything else without letting go of something else. As a happy owner of the previous version, I’m leaning to switch but can we perhaps when we get the new unit test both and decide which one to keep?

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 3:53 AM Post #39,453 of 40,609
With respect to the bass revisions, the changes are nuanced, originating from the structural enhancements we've incorporated. There are no electronic alterations internally—nothing that would show up in specifications or graphs. However, during our critical listening tests, we've experienced a slightly deeper bass presence with more resolution and layering.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #39,454 of 40,609
With respect to the bass revisions, the changes are nuanced, originating from the structural enhancements we've incorporated. There are no electronic alterations internally—nothing that would show up in specifications or graphs. However, during our critical listening tests, we've experienced a slightly deeper bass presence with more resolution and layering.
This is great and exciting news if the sound profile is that of CJ SG.

Nov 9, 2023 at 4:06 AM Post #39,455 of 40,609
I've got no skin in this game, as I don't buy EE's bass monsters. The Zeus and Odin are fine for me. :beyersmile:
The Zeus (XIV... XRA) weren't "bass light" at all, yes 😉

They were "medium high", not the same thing 😜

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #39,456 of 40,609
„Nuanced“, „no electronic alterations internally“, „slightly … more resolution and layering“: hey, we are audiophile,
we live from such perceptions! 😌

Irony mode off: I'm very pleased and it speaks for you that you have recognized the problem and have taken countermeasures, thank you very much!

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 5:59 AM Post #39,457 of 40,609
Just in 😍 unbelievable surprise when I unwrapped this bad boy. Absolutely worth the upgrade over the LX. Thankfully my average ears seat these just fine.

20231108_145838.jpg

If they were available in custom, I'd have given them a serious listen at AXPONA and probably ordered a pair. I'm curious to try out bone conduction, but I doubt the effect will carry through the custom silicone eartips I require to play and audition universals.

Nov 9, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #39,459 of 40,609
👀👀🔥

Nov 9, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #39,460 of 40,609
Nov 9, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #39,461 of 40,609
This is great and exciting news if the sound profile is that of CJ SG.
This is the best news I've heard yet. I really loved the SG tuning and was quite underwhelmed by Socal tuning. So, the fact that EE is moving back toward that signature has me excited to hear it in Dallas. Glad to hear the build issues have been sorted out. Absolutely love the face plate.

Nov 9, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #39,462 of 40,609
As I sit down to write this update, I am reminded of the trust and patience you've all shown us during this journey with the RAVEN. It's a journey that has tested our resolve and pushed our capabilities, and your unwavering support has been the cornerstone of our progress. I assure you, every step taken, every challenge faced, has been with the singular goal of delivering a product that not only meets but exceeds the high bar we set for ourselves.

We recognized that even though only a handful of units were directly affected, there was an opportunity for us to do more—to enhance every aspect of the RAVEN, down to the finest details. In the world of manufacturing, especially in an arena as complex as metallurgy—which was new territory for us—perfect outcomes are rare. But instead of settling, we chose to rise to the occasion. These past months have been a deep dive into research and development, followed by a meticulous rebuilding process.

As we move forward, you can expect the following enhancements in all RAVEN units:

Enhanced Print Specifications
: We've honed the RAVEN's print specifications to elevate the shell's durability and the HRC's sturdiness without compromising on the thickness crucial to our signature sound tuning. Our rigorous testing has shown that the current 1mm post-processing thickness is integral to the RAVEN's acoustic performance. By refining the print parameters, we've managed to fortify the shell's resilience without altering its acoustic properties, ensuring that the RAVEN delivers the extraordinary audio experience you expect.

Strengthened Internal Assembly: We've bolstered the internal structure, focusing particularly on specifics components and key areas like the 2-pin socket area to ensure it withstands the demands of regular use. The strategic reinforcements are designed to mitigate the risk of damage from cable swapping while maintaining compatibility with .78 spec cables. Our transparent HRC innovation allows for swift and thorough quality checks, ensuring each unit is assembled and sealed to our exacting standards.

Refined 2-Pin Socket Design: In response to your valuable input, we've re-engineered the 2-pin sockets on the RAVEN. They now feature a pre-set gap of .78, designed to ensure a smoother and more user-friendly cable connection process. This enhancement aims to reduce the effort required during cable insertion and removal, thereby minimizing wear and tear. However, we still recommend a delicate touch when using cables with tighter fits, like the CON-X, to preserve the longevity of your IEMs. We've conducted extensive compatibility tests with a variety of cables from well-respected manufacturers, confirming a consistent and reliable fit across the board.

Premium Lacquer Enhancement - We've taken the RAVEN's aesthetic to the next level with a top tier German lacquer. This new finish is meticulously hand-applied, enhancing not just the durability of the RAVEN but also enriching its visual allure. The result is a more sophisticated and lustrous surface that complements the RAVEN's premium sound quality with a correspondingly luxurious appearance.

Faceplate Journey - Diving into metallurgy for the RAVEN's intricate raised logo faceplates and mirror finishes brought its share of complexities and challenges, particularly in CNC machining and coating. My hands-on approach, hand-polishing prototypes for quality benchmarking, was critical in navigating this steep learning curve. While initial attempts saw higher failure rates, our perseverance has paid off. We've emerged with faceplates that not only meet our rigorous standards but are also significantly improved with an advanced anti-fingerprint coating. This new feature ensures that the faceplates retain their aesthetic allure with minimal upkeep, making a significant impact on the overall user experience.

Enhanced Bass Experience – During our recent revisions, we've managed to enhance the bass response to offer more depth, resolution and layering. This nuanced refinement stems from the structural improvements to the RAVEN, achieved without altering the internal electronics or affecting the measurable specs, ensuring the overall integrity of its signature sound.

Delivery Schedule Update - Anticipation is mounting as we approach the commencement of deliveries for the RAVEN launch edition. Weekly dispatches to our dealers are set to begin next week, with the objective of having all launch edition units shipped by the first week of December. Concurrently, we are preparing for the arrival of a small, carefully curated batch of standard edition faceplates. Upon their delivery, these units will be subjected to a stringent quality assessment, affirming they meet the newly established polishing and coating benchmarks.

Should this initial batch of standard editions pass our inspection, they will be promptly assembled and forwarded to dealers holding pre-paid orders. Additionally, the broader rollout of standard edition RAVENs is on the horizon, with production and delivery anticipated to get underway by the second week of December.

Revisions for Existing RAVEN Owners - For those who've kept their RAVENs and are experiencing no issues, we respect your decision. Yet, should you opt for the updated version, we're extending an opportunity until the year's end for revisions to be made. U.S. residents can directly return their units to us. Please initiate the process by emailing Leasah at support@empireears.com and cc me Jack@Empireears.com. Do provide your shipping details and proof of purchase. We ask that you return the carrying case, the IEMs, and the coin. For our international community, your local dealer will facilitate this process, so please reach out to them for coordination.

Extended Warranty Assurance - We're reaffirming the extended two-year warranty mentioned in my prior communication. This warranty applies to the updated RAVENs as a gesture of our gratitude for your patience and understanding as we've honed and enhanced our product. Your satisfaction and confidence in our brand are paramount, and we're committed to honoring that through this warranty extension.

Handle with Care: We're proud of the advancements we've made with the RAVEN, yet we must underscore that it is an IEM delicately crafted from resin, equipped with full-sized drivers, and finished with stainless steel faceplates. It is a piece of precision audio equipment, not intended for rough handling or to endure impacts. Similar to the nature of a car's windshield, even slight physical impacts can cause microfractures that may lead to greater damage over time. Please treat your RAVEN with the same care you would any other premium audio instrument.

Thank you once again for your trust, patience, and the privilege of your time as we worked to perfect the RAVEN. It's been a humbling experience, and one that has made us even more committed to crafting exceptional auditory experiences for you.

Warmest regards,
It’s not how they fall. It’s how they get back up.

Many congratulations to you, Jack, and the entire EE team, for reaching what seems to be the end of this tumultuous launch. You’ve met every complaint with class, and you’ve set an example for how brands (and defenders of said brands) should receive and respond to controversy. Where some may have resorted to downplaying, fruitless deflections or outright silence, you and your team have gone above-and-beyond to resolve your shortcomings whilst remaining humble, transparent and informative throughout.

I’m happy to see the product you’ve finally arrived at looks much better than the original did, IMO. While the original looked to me like a forced union of two materials, this revision’s shells and faceplates look miles more seamless in shape, thickness and gloss (or sheen). I sure hope you’re right in saying that it still sounds like the Top 3 IEM I heard at CanJam SG. 😉

All the best for the rest of your launch, Jack. ’Looks like the Raven’s finally ready to fly.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #39,463 of 40,609
That’s good to hear that matters have now been addressed on the Raven. I’m looking forward to reading people’s impressions in due course.

Nov 9, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #39,464 of 40,609
most dealers in my city offering some kind of single day sale now. when i went to collect a preordered toys tonite after work, i saw an earphone shop advertising big sale for this beautiful baby. hesitating for a few minutes whether to grab this (brand new) or a 2nd hand UM mason FS, i decided to get the odyssey anyway despite a lot of reports on damaged shell.

very fun and entertaining sound right out of the box. this is exactly the kind of tuning that i like a lot :) the faceplate is exceptionally beautiful too. many complain the stock cable is bad but it looks quite good ergonomically and well built to me. i'm not into cable rolling so i've no problem with this pliable and easily manageable cable.

p.s. again proving the so called limited edition (i think there're 600 units made) means nothing. the demand for iems at this price level is merely a few hundreds at best anyway. when 1st launched, most shops claiming this is all sold out. yet after one whole year, big sale is needed to empty the stock . . . very few are willing to do honest business anymore in this trade now . . .

Attachments

• 20231109_213115.jpg
    20231109_213115.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231109_213434.jpg
    20231109_213434.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231109_213710.jpg
    20231109_213710.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #39,465 of 40,609
It’s not how they fall. It’s how they get back up.

Many congratulations to you, Jack, and the entire EE team, for reaching what seems to be the end of this tumultuous launch. You’ve met every complaint with class, and you’ve set an example for how brands (and defenders of said brands) should receive and respond to controversy. Where some may have resorted to downplaying, fruitless deflections or outright silence, you and your team have gone above-and-beyond to resolve your shortcomings whilst remaining humble, transparent and informative throughout.

I’m happy to see the product you’ve finally arrived at looks much better than the original did, IMO. While the original looked to me like a forced union of two materials, this revision’s shells and faceplates look miles more seamless in shape, thickness and gloss (or sheen). I sure hope you’re right in saying that it still sounds like the Top 3 IEM I heard at CanJam SG. 😉

All the best for the rest of your launch, Jack. ’Looks like the Raven’s finally ready to fly.
Honestly, with the unabashed approach they have with their house sound (real bass and not artificially detailed peaky vocals and treble, my favourite implementation of the BC drivers) this was the IEM I was stuck on in CanJam London. They've really settled into a sound signature that they've mastered. The metal plating is also a lot more sleek in person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back