Entry level customs vs 'high end' universal IEMs?
Oct 26, 2013 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

digitaldave

500+ Head-Fier
I currently have Sony XBA3ip and Westone UM2 IEMs, source is currently an iPhone 5 with 256kbps files. However, I'm thinking about taking a step up with the IEMs. Here in the UK, current prices put some of the higher end universals (looking mainly at the Westone 4) in a similar price bracket to entry level custom IEMs, such as the JH Audio JH5. So, I have two questions really...

1) Would the step up from UM2s to something like the W4 or JH5 be noticeable?
2) Is there much difference in performance level between something like the W4 and the JH5?

Thanks,

Dave.

Oct 27, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #3 of 26
I currently have Sony XBA3ip and Westone UM2 IEMs, source is currently an iPhone 5 with 256kbps files. However, I'm thinking about taking a step up with the IEMs. Here in the UK, current prices put some of the higher end universals (looking mainly at the Westone 4) in a similar price bracket to entry level custom IEMs, such as the JH Audio JH5. So, I have two questions really...

1) Would the step up from UM2s to something like the W4 or JH5 be noticeable?
2) Is there much difference in performance level between something like the W4 and the JH5?

Thanks,

Dave.

yes imo very noticeable, i never heard or owned the jh5 though so cant speak for them

Oct 27, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 26
imo there is a noticeable difference between the w4 and jh5. I would take the jh5 over the w4 in a heartbeat.

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #5 of 26
imo there is a noticeable difference between the w4 and jh5. I would take the jh5 over the w4 in a heartbeat.

true but take into consideration the wait time, plus molds charge, and taking into consideration the current price of the w4r, sound wise the jh5 are probably better, but more expensive.

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #6 of 26
I'll probably say that you have to try if you can hear the difference between JH5 and 4R yourself. If you can hear the difference, then go for the better one. If not, i think 4R is a sufficiently good upgrade from the UM2.

All else equal, customs provide isolation on a different level. For universals, you'll need to test with different tips to achieve a comparable level of isolation. To me that is perhaps the only benefit of a custom. Just my opinion though..

Regards,
Eugene

Oct 28, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #7 of 26
  true but take into consideration the wait time, plus molds charge, and taking into consideration the current price of the w4r, sound wise the jh5 are probably better, but more expensive.

I'll still take the JH5 irregardless of the W4 price. They are just better but that's just me. Also sometimes if you go through a JH dealer impressions are free or discounted. People forget the JH5 used to cost $200 more until UE came out with the UE4 so there was a price drop to compete so imo the JH5 is quite a bargain at $400 if that's your signature. 

Oct 28, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #8 of 26
Thanks for the replies. Although I can probably try out the W4, I guess the JH5 can't be tried as it's a custom. There is a dealer not too far from me, so I'll get in touch with them and see what the prices would be including the moulds for the JH5 (they can do them apparently).

Thanks,

Dave.

Oct 28, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #9 of 26
They might have demos that you can try out. Usually dealers have them so you get an idea of what it sounds like.

Oct 29, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #11 of 26
I have spoken to the dealer in question, and they do have a demo version - I hadn't appreciated that they would put the drivers in a universal housing. So I'm booked in to give them a try in a couple of weeks. Watch this space...

jealous, i wish i had a dealer near me to try them out, i would probably go with customs if i could hear them before purchase...if possible, bring your own equipment to demo them, a dap with your genre of music you like will work. that way you know what they sound like with the music you like....i would esp be interested if a discount for molds or maybe even free molds were avail.

but again i erge you to bring your own music so you can get a taste for how that particular iem sounds with what you like.

the jh5 do look good on paper im sure they sound just as good

Nov 16, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #12 of 26
Update: I had a listen to the JH5 demo today...

After listening to a few tracks, I have decided that I'm going to stick with my UM2s. The JH5 did sound a little better to my ears, and I realise that the full custom version would improve things some more, however, for my ears, the difference wasn't enough to justify the price. Having said that, if I was coming from a cheaper universal, I'd probably have gone for the JH5.

Dave.

Nov 17, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #15 of 26
Both sound like good options. I know I don't regret my jh5 purchase even after owning better customs. I have a high level of respect for 1964 for bringing these high value customs. If they were a more well known company like UE or jha their prices would definitely be a lot more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back