Equilibrated Headphones with DAC
Aug 13, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #16 of 35
You are right as I was thinking of USB to the USB input of the dac and not two usd devices running at once. The cable is wrong and doubt the dac would recognize the turntable. Not for sure if the USB output of the turntable is digital or not though. I corrected. I have no problems when I'm wrong .

Technically it is possible to build a "DAC" (that's in quotes because the device would be far more complex than a single digital audio to analog audio converter - it'd really be blurring the lines between PC and hi-fi components) that could act as a host for this, but I'm not aware of any real-world product that supports it. There *are* some USB-based DACs that can run mass storage devices as hosts (so you can plug in a hard drive or a flash drive and read music off it), but that uses more generic drivers/interfaces than the USB audio controller built in to the turntable - if you think about the turntable as being a complete turntable with the analog-in section of something like the Behringer UCA202 (or some other similar device) strapped onto it's outputs, that's basically what you've got, so you'd have to have driver/software support on the "DAC device" side for it to run as the host. Like I said, it'd really be blurring the lines between PC and hi-fi component, and while it's technically possible to do something like that, I'm not aware of anything one could buy on the open market that could do it. Most "USB DACs" these days are a USB soundcard so they also require a host (e.g. a PC; some smartphones and tablets can do this too), with drivers and all that (so-called "driver free" devices rely on generic drivers from Microsoft, Apple, et al) which differs a lot from something that takes AES or S/PDIF. But again, there's nothing that says if a device were designed for this it couldn't work, and frankly I think it'd be a neat direction for consumer electronics to go, given that USB finally has the bandwidth to handle basically any audio (or video for that matter) bitstream one could dream up, and cabling is dirt cheap. We can dream...

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #17 of 35
Technically it is possible to build a "DAC" (that's in quotes because the device would be far more complex than a single digital audio to analog audio converter - it'd really be blurring the lines between PC and hi-fi components) that could act as a host for this, but I'm not aware of any real-world product that supports it. There *are* some USB-based DACs that can run mass storage devices as hosts (so you can plug in a hard drive or a flash drive and read music off it), but that uses more generic drivers/interfaces than the USB audio controller built in to the turntable - if you think about the turntable as being a complete turntable with the analog-in section of something like the Behringer UCA202 (or some other similar device) strapped onto it's outputs, that's basically what you've got, so you'd have to have driver/software support on the "DAC device" side for it to run as the host. Like I said, it'd really be blurring the lines between PC and hi-fi component, and while it's technically possible to do something like that, I'm not aware of anything one could buy on the open market that could do it. Most "USB DACs" these days are a USB soundcard so they also require a host (e.g. a PC; some smartphones and tablets can do this too), with drivers and all that (so-called "driver free" devices rely on generic drivers from Microsoft, Apple, et al) which differs a lot from something that takes AES or S/PDIF. But again, there's nothing that says if a device were designed for this it couldn't work, and frankly I think it'd be a neat direction for consumer electronics to go, given that USB finally has the bandwidth to handle basically any audio (or video for that matter) bitstream one could dream up, and cabling is dirt cheap. We can dream...
I was totally wrong with my thinking that it all. Period. I am man enough to say I was wrong. I was thinking wrong no if's or but's about it.

Aug 13, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #18 of 35
I was totally wrong with my thinking that it all. Period. I am man enough to say I was wrong. I was thinking wrong no if's or but's about it.

Oh I wasn't at all trying to "call you out" or anything - my initial response (on re-read) was a bit terse, basically saying "no that couldn't work" but then thinking about it further, it actually could work (and would be pretty neat), BUUUUT I don't think any manufacturers are on board with that currently (apart from mass storage device support, or of course the niche of purpose-built hi-fi computers). Maybe in the future someone will, as vinyl seems to be making a comeback, and USB-equipped turntables (and phono preamps) seem to be becoming common-place (along with other USB-based audio devices), it'd be neat to have that kind of plug-and-play single-cable interoperability.

Aug 14, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #19 of 35
You guys have lost me :beyersmile:

I created this thread 'cuz I needed help (well, I still need help) about DAC and Headphones, and now y'all talkin about plugging a f*cked up DAC on a turntable and I can understand a single word because it's too complicated for me :darthsmile:

Aug 14, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #21 of 35
Allow me to clarify and summarize what you are looking for. (Some of this is speculation.)

You have a vinyl rig, but also digital audio files, so you want a DAC for the times you are playing the digital files instead of vinyl.

You are also looking for headphones with a V-shaped tonal balance (emphasized bass and treble) but without compromising the mid-range.

You already have a headphone amp with sufficient power for future headphones.

Your total budget is $450 USD.

Is all this correct? If not, please elaborate.

Aug 14, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #22 of 35
You haven't really given a consistent set of desires for a headphone - you want something "equalibrated" (balanced?) but then reject suggestions for relatively neutral headphones (like HD 600 or 598) because "they don't have enough bass." So what do you actually want? A very bassy/boomy headphone? Or something relatively neutral?

Aug 14, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #23 of 35
Well... more i'm searching about headphones, more I think I want a neutral headphone, something with deep bass, precise and clear treble (like my 1More Triple Driver) and good mids

The problem is my budget (well I think) and I don't know if it's possible to find a headphone with my budget

I'm not rejecting the HD6**, they are juste way over my budget

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #24 of 35
Well... more i'm searching about headphones, more I think I want a neutral headphone, something with deep bass, precise and clear treble (like my 1More Triple Driver) and good mids

The problem is my budget (well I think) and I don't know if it's possible to find a headphone with my budget

You said your budget is $450 USD, right? The HD 650 and HD 600 are only around $300, which would leave you roughly $150 for the DAC. (Or DAC/amp or DAC and separate amp...I dunno which components you already have.)

Aug 14, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #25 of 35
Aug 14, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #26 of 35
Aug 14, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #27 of 35
t

I don't think those words mean what you think they man, or perhaps there's a language barrier here. "Neutral" generally means everything is balanced/in proportion/not exaggerated - the HD 598 would satisfy that. However that won't give you "deep bass" or "lots of bass" or similar. Basically its one way or the other. You can have a bassy headphone or you can have a neutral headphone. "Good mids" is very relative/vague, as is "precise treble." I will tell you you won't ever get a full-size headphone that sounds like an IEM - there's physics at play there (specifically how the drivers/enclosure interact with your ear will influence, significantly, how the system sounds). I get what you're meaning in terms of wanting to "match the sound" and you can generally find headphones that can approach the tonal balance of a given in-ear (unfortunately I'm not familiar with the specific model you have so I can't speak to that in exact terms), but the soundstaging/imaging/etc will be quite different due to the differences in size/coupling/etc.

Aug 14, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #29 of 35

Okay, you didn't specify. (Which is why I asked...but you didn't answer my other questions.)

There are more than a few great headphones in your price range, and you can get the tonal balance you want via EQ with any headphone.

Yes, I specified that, if you've seen m'y posts on the 1st page of this thread, I said I was living in Canada, and I said multiple time "$ CAD"

Aug 14, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #30 of 35
I don't think those words mean what you think they man, or perhaps there's a language barrier here. "Neutral" generally means everything is balanced/in proportion/not exaggerated - the HD 598 would satisfy that. However that won't give you "deep bass" or "lots of bass" or similar. Basically its one way or the other. You can have a bassy headphone or you can have a neutral headphone. "Good mids" is very relative/vague, as is "precise treble." I will tell you you won't ever get a full-size headphone that sounds like an IEM - there's physics at play there (specifically how the drivers/enclosure interact with your ear will influence, significantly, how the system sounds). I get what you're meaning in terms of wanting to "match the sound" and you can generally find headphones that can approach the tonal balance of a given in-ear (unfortunately I'm not familiar with the specific model you have so I can't speak to that in exact terms), but the soundstaging/imaging/etc will be quite different due to the differences in size/coupling/etc.

When I said "Deep bass", I wasn't talking about bassy headphones, with the bass over mid and treble. Juste something with good sub-bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back