ESW9 on leaking sound
Aug 28, 2009 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

n0ah

100+ Head-Fier
i've read that ESW9 are close to open in terms of sound getting in, but how are they on sound getting out? how loud can i put them without say the person next to me on a flight being able to hear? i don't have much experience with portables but if you could compare say the KSC75's or portapros for reference i'd get an idea.

Jun 4, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
i've read that ESW9 are close to open in terms of sound getting in, but how are they on sound getting out? how loud can i put them without say the person next to me on a flight being able to hear? i don't have much experience with portables but if you could compare say the KSC75's or portapros for reference i'd get an idea.

They do not leak. Plenty of reviews around (not head-fi) have mentioned that they can blast the cans till their eardrums spoil, and the person right next to you will still hear nothing.

As for me, nobody ever looks at me for leaking out music like iBud users, and I tried listening to uncomfortable levels once to test...nope, no leak.

Jun 4, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #4 of 5
They are very good at controlling leakage.  I had the volume fairly high on my set a while ago when my wife came to talk to me.  No, I didn't leave them on! :wink:  When I took them off she was astonished at how much louder they were when they were just around my neck then when I actually had them on my ears.  She actually asked me to put them back on and take them off again just to make sure she had heard right!  I guess it might depend on your ears & head, but they are pretty surprising at preventing leakage for me!

Jun 4, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #5 of 5
As above it does a good job of sealing out moderate noise. You will not hear conversation. And I have never had complaints about muffled music leaking out :)

But yes they do allow in a degree of loud noise like engines definitely more so than IEMs but then you are safer as a pedestrian I suppose :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back