etymotic er4
Dec 19, 2014 at 8:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

iamanoob

New Head-Fier
Im in need of a new pair of iems, had the hf5s and I LOVED them.. the er4's have been on my mind for quite some time and Im trying to convince myself to buy them. Question tho I was hoping someone can fill me in.. which model should I get?? I'm a little confused between the er4s and the er4pt. er4pt apparently has higher output and is marketed for people "on the go"? if there's greater output why would I choose the er4s over these even if I'm not always "on the go"?

Thanks!

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #3 of 12
  Im in need of a new pair of iems, had the hf5s and I LOVED them.. the er4's have been on my mind for quite some time and Im trying to convince myself to buy them. Question tho I was hoping someone can fill me in.. which model should I get?? I'm a little confused between the er4s and the er4pt. er4pt apparently has higher output and is marketed for people "on the go"? if there's greater output why would I choose the er4s over these even if I'm not always "on the go"?

Thanks!

Exactly.  Bass is even less on 4S versus the already anemic bass 4P.  4S is only meant to be used with an amp and anyone that uses the S without an amp.....well...I just don't know what to say?

Dec 20, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #4 of 12
Ety says the high freq response is a bit different on the ER4S. To me, its pretty simple, the ER4P can become an ER4S by just adding the extra resistors via the P-to-S adapter. So, I really don't see any reason why you would buy the ER4S over the ER4P.

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #6 of 12
Hi all,
I am looking for the most neutral sounding headphones to complement my Grado 325e and ATH-M50.   I would really like to get the HD800 but unfortunately I don't have the money and will probably not in the near future :frowning2:
I also don't want to get the HD600 as a substitute because I am afraid they will not be neutral enough (treble roll off).   
I actually don't mind about terms like "imaging" and "soundstage" ..I just want to get neutral frequency response that will go evenly will all kinds of music genres, from classical to metal..electronic.
I once owned the HF5 and they were indeed very neutral sounding with just a tad of extra warmth..I liked it very much!  But now I am thinking of go up a notch and get the ER4PT (with the included adapter to make it an S version).
How is the ER's bass ? can it go deep?  can it be punchy when needed? 

Can they be a subtitute for a full size cans?   are they more accurate and neutral than the HD800?   

EDIT: their frequency response says: 20hz - 16khz.    what about 16 - 20khz frequencies?

Dec 26, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #7 of 12
The er4-p in my opinion has better low frequency extension than the hf5, having heard/owned both. Although impact-wise they're the same. When using the s adaptor it becomes even tighter and imo, too recessed (hardcore er4 fans will disagree).

It'll only worth than extra price for you if you want that last ~10% of sound refinement, since the er4 sounds more natural and smooth against the hf5 by just a small bit. If you like the hf5 you won't be disappointed by the er4 (whether or not you'll be impressed is another story).

At er4's current price of $300 I think there are better options out there in terms of comfort and sound (subjectively), but if you want the ety's detail/signature er4pt is it.

Dec 26, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #8 of 12
The er4-p in my opinion has better low frequency extension than the hf5, having heard/owned both. Although impact-wise they're the same. When using the s adaptor it becomes even tighter and imo, too recessed (hardcore er4 fans will disagree).

It'll only worth than extra price for you if you want that last ~10% of sound refinement, since the er4 sounds more natural and smooth against the hf5 by just a small bit. If you like the hf5 you won't be disappointed by the er4 (whether or not you'll be impressed is another story).

At er4's current price of $300 I think there are better options out there in terms of comfort and sound (subjectively), but if you want the ety's detail/signature er4pt is it.

Thx.  Just got my old HF5 (they were resting in my parents' house for a couple of years)  yep..same gorgeous sound sig', neutral with a slight warmth.  great extended highs.  really balance and beautiful sound.
these are really not falling to short behind full size cans imo.  Falling in love with them again, I think I will consider seriously getting the ER4's, I really do want that extra 10% of refinement.

Dec 26, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #9 of 12
Thx.  Just got my old HF5 (they were resting in my parents' house for a couple of years)  yep..same gorgeos sound sig', neutral with a slight warmth.  great extended highs.  really balance and beautiful sound.
these are really not falling to short behind full size cans imo.  Falling in love with them again, I think I will consider seriously getting the ER4's, I really do want that extra 10% of refinement.

Go for it!

(If you don't mind buying used they can be found around $150 around eBay. Not sure about the price around here on headfi).

Good luck

Dec 26, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #10 of 12
The HF5 have a nice full sound, punch that I really like.  I read reviews that says that the ER4S lack this punch,  that they are more "gentle".  Is this true?
Did anyone tried to use the HF5 with the 75 ohm adapter?  I wonder what they will sound like..or maybe they will not chage at all.

Dec 26, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #12 of 12
  The HF5 have a nice full sound, punch that I really like.  I read reviews that says that the ER4S lack this punch,  that they are more "gentle".  Is this true?
Did anyone tried to use the HF5 with the 75 ohm adapter?  I wonder what they will sound like..or maybe they will not chage at all.

Yes, that is correct.  The ER4P and HF5 have 13dB increased input on lower frequencies.  That's pretty significant. 

As far as I know, yes the 75 ohm adaptor would turn the HF5 into a ER4S except for not having perfectly matched drivers.  The matching drivers is just marketing mumbo jumbo as the drivers are already purchased to a tolerance that would not be discernable to the ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back