Etymotic HF5 vs Westone UM1 Team Edition
Nov 12, 2011 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Blue Boat

Banned member koolkat.
Hi, I need some help deciding between the Etymotic HF5 and Westone UM1 Team Edition

I will be trying these on at a shop in the very near future, but I'd like to have a general idea of what each sounds like.

I'm also very new to IEMs so go easy.

I'm looking for a comfortable and highly isolating IEM that has clear mids, highs and is very detailed.

Durability is a huge plus as well. I already have a full-size headphone that's has a warm/bassy sound signature

so I don't want something that sounds like that.

1. Is the Team Edition version better than the UM1? (TE is advertised as having a better FR range)

2. Which is more detailed? The HF5 or the UM1 TE? Is it a very noticeable difference between the two?

3. Which is more isolating?

4. Will bi/triflanges fit onto the UM1 Team Editions?

5. Which is more durable?

6. Which has better mids and highs?

My price range is sub $150 (street price). Would go higher but paypal and shipping fees is a total _____ .

Will rep for long detailed answer. 

Edit: 

Vsonic GR07 added into the mix. 

Nov 12, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #2 of 9
I've had the HF5, and it is everything you are describing that you want.  If I hadn't moved up to the Ety ER4, I would still have the HF5.

I have not heard the UM1, so I cant describe or compare it -- since it is a single BA driver also, it may balanced like the HF5.  I would bet someone here can tell you the difference.

Nov 12, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
I've had the HF5, and it is everything you are describing that you want.  If I hadn't moved up to the Ety ER4, I would still have the HF5.

That's good.

I don't expect too many replies since this subforum seems to be a little less active than the full-size forums.  If I may ask another question, is the HF5 comfortable to wear for long periods? 

Nov 12, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #4 of 9
I still haven't seen too many people praising the W1, UM1, or any other Westone 1 variant. I take that as a sign that if you're looking into westone you start with W2 and up. If you keep a look out Amazon has sometimes sold the W2 for exactly $150 which is what I got mine for. Ive also seen the HF5 going for $92 on amazon about a month ago and HF2 usually go for $107.

Nov 12, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #5 of 9
@alv The UM1s don't get good reviews because of their poor bass and treble extension, but the Team Edition has a much better FR range. 

Also there's some kind of inflation going on. ER4, HF5 is very close to their retail price on all websites. I've got a coupon code for earphonessolution, which cuts 20% off, but I'll probably wait for a Black Friday sale. Right now all I've got to do is pick which IEMs suit me best. It's either the UM1 TE, HF5 or Audeo PFE.. 

Nov 12, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
The UM1s don't get good reviews because of their poor bass and treble extension, but the Team Edition has a much better FR range. 

Is there really any difference between Team Edition and regular UM1? I thought they are exactly the same except the shell color. At least drivers look the same
And Audeo PFE sounds much better then UM1

Nov 12, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #7 of 9
The Team Editions have a better FR extension, but I don't know about their sound signatures. 
The PFE are apparently uncomfortable but their sound is really good.

I think I'll go for the HF5 simply because of the good marketing on Etymotic's part, lol. 

Nov 12, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #8 of 9

From your post i got an impression you didn't try any of them yet. PFE aren't uncomfortable, at least for me, i went for jogging with them and they held just fine. But westones are more comfortable of course, they isolate better and their cable is more sweat resistant
And you can use bi/triflanges with UM1, i believe all latest batches have some in a package, or you can buy tips for etymotic or shure 

Quote:
The PFE are apparently uncomfortable but their sound is really good.

Nov 12, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
From your post i got an impression you didn't try any of them yet. PFE aren't uncomfortable, at least for me, i went for jogging with them and they held just fine. But westones are more comfortable of course, they isolate better and their cable is more sweat resistant
And you can use bi/triflanges with UM1, i believe all latest batches have some in a package, or you can buy tips for etymotic or shure 

Yea I haven't. Wasn't a fan of IEMs, more of a full-size guy. But IEMs offer analytical sound at a much lower price, and I need something for commuting. I read a review over at another site saying that they were very comfortable because of part of the iem comes into contact with the outer ear (fwir). Thanks for the reply, I'm pretty much set on the HF5, which are $98 on Amazon. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back