Etymotic Research EVO impressions and discussion thread
Feb 8, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #31 of 1,201
While the Massdrop Plus are generally nice IEMs, they are quite substantially bassier than the ER-4S/ER4SR/ER3SE/ER2SE, and also still a good bit bassier and warmer than the ER4XR/ER3XR as well (around 4 dB stronger bass compared to Etymotic's single-BA XR models), and also warmer in the root/fundamental range when compared to the ER2XR. They're more in line with a "warm v-shape with accurate mids" (due to the slight upper treble boost that they have as well) kind of tuning, and boast Campfire Audio Andromeda/NocturnaL Audio Atlantis quantity of bass, but with less thick lower mids than those.
Fair points, and the differences can be looked at further here - https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/graphtool/

The Plus recommendation was halfway recommended because it's the iem that best fits/conforms to my ear without sticking out. I can't think of a better one to fit under a hat, as the other poster mentioned.

Feb 8, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #32 of 1,201
Fair points, and the differences can be looked at further here - https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/graphtool/

The Plus recommendation was halfway recommended because it's the iem that best fits/conforms to my ear without sticking out. I can't think of a better one to fit under a hat, as the other poster mentioned.

Going from Crinnacle's measurements, only some of the JVC and Thieaudio IEMs have tuning anywhere close to the Etymotic. Hear good things about the LZ A7 but I've settled on the ER2s and am perfectly content. The JVC FW10000 look the closest to "neutral" in the bass and rest of the spectrum. So many IEMs have that upper bass boom/bloom from 100Hz -250Hz, it's difficult to find many with a nice tight transition from bass to mids.

I quit listening and reading reviews on here for IEMs because I bought several from recommendations looking for "balanced" and neutral. All recommendations had horrible bass bloat.
I went back to the graphs and the Etymotics were the only thing in an affordable price bracket that weren't V or U shaped period. I had fit and comfort issues with the Etymotics for just a few days and then either I got used to it or my ear canals adjusted. If anything, I get the infamous tickles or itches every once in a while but that's it. I even fell asleep with them in the other day.

Feb 8, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #33 of 1,201
The Akoustyx R-120 come very close to the description of "DF-neutral but with shallower fit", but with more brightness in the range between 4 kHz and 10 kHz compared to the ER-4S/ER4SR/ER2SE and to my personal perception of "flat neutral" (that the ER4SR, out of all IEMs, ultimately come closest to), especially with the range around 7 kHz being brighter relative to 1 kHz to my ears. Therefore ultimately closer to the DF-target than the Ety target, but to my ears also less realistic in the highs and with 3 to 4 dB too much energy at 7 kHz, and ca. 2 dB below and above that, resulting in a somewhat "metallic" upper treble timbre. Doesn't bother/come through all of the time, but can be borderline at times when it does.
Due to the brighter tuning relative to my ER-4S, the R-120 have more perceived "clarity", but to my ears the Etys are ahead when it comes to actual treble resolution and separation.

Otherwise, the Fostex TE02 would also come close, but they're out of production as far as I know.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #34 of 1,201
The Akoustyx R-120 come very close to the description of "DF-neutral but with shallower fit", but with more brightness in the range between 4 kHz and 10 kHz compared to the ER-4S/ER4SR/ER2SE and to my personal perception of "flat neutral" (that the ER4SR, out of all IEMs, ultimately come closest to), especially with the range around 7 kHz being brighter relative to 1 kHz to my ears. Therefore ultimately closer to the DF-target than the Ety target, but to my ears also less realistic in the highs and with 3 to 4 dB too much energy at 7 kHz, and ca. 2 dB below and above that, resulting in a somewhat "metallic" upper treble timbre. Doesn't bother/come through all of the time, but can be borderline at times when it does.
Due to the brighter tuning relative to my ER-4S, the R-120 have more perceived "clarity", but to my ears the Etys are ahead when it comes to actual treble resolution and separation.

Otherwise, the Fostex TE02 would also come close, but they're out of production as far as I know.
i have the fostex, the pina gain is not enough so the mids come out warm and subdued in the upper midrange compared to ER4S, also they need some mods like adding additional front damping to remove the metallic timber of the treble, but overall with mods they can be very very good
the fit is horrible for me though

Feb 9, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #36 of 1,201
Feb 9, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #39 of 1,201
Feb 9, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #40 of 1,201
$249 tops based on the price range of the other Lucid products. They better have deep insertion. That's what makes the Etys special.

Etymotic's current flagship is priced at 300 USD. I might be making a bad assumption, but I'm assuming this triple-driver setup would be the next flagship.

Most definitely not. Looking more like April, unfortunately.

Nice, gives me time to save up! :p

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #43 of 1,201
$249 tops based on the price range of the other Lucid products. They better have deep insertion. That's what makes the Etys special.

1612907606456.png

Unless you meant each side. :) The BaX cable itself usually goes for $99.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #44 of 1,201
Etymotic's current flagship is priced at 300 USD. I might be making a bad assumption, but I'm assuming this dual-driver setup would be the next flagship.

Nice, gives me time to save up! :p

While I cannot say exactly what the MSRP is yet, I will say it will not be priced under the ER4.

The Adoroma pricing has sort of skewed market perception, I think. From what I understand, that was an aggressive Christmas sales promotion and doesn't reflect a permanent change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back