Etymotic Research EVO impressions and discussion thread
May 25, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #436 of 1,204
unlike ER series, EVO will come with 1 year warranty. Why?
I didn't see warranty information for the EVO on the product page. Did I miss it somewhere?

Edit: it's on their warranty webpage.

May 25, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #437 of 1,204
It ships with the double-flange eartips, both sizes of triple-flange eartips and the foams that everybody knows. The hope is that there will be something there for everybody.

or the new SpinFit SP800 eartips, specific for Ety/Westone

1621960406844.png

May 25, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #438 of 1,204
This is going to be tricky...
Since I am now a member of the trade, associated with Etymotic - I am not allowed (and rightfully so) to post reviews or impressions on Etymotic products.
I am not allowed to post subjective opinions, but I am allowed to post objective info / data.

Hmm, but Senns MoT just posted his impressions of Drop HD8xx which are being featured on the front page of Head-fi now...

May 25, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #439 of 1,204
Hmm, but Senns MoT just posted his impressions of Drop HD8xx which are being featured on the front page of Head-fi now...
1621960896505.png

Yeah. Weird.

May 25, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #440 of 1,204
May 25, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #441 of 1,204
1621960896505.png
Yeah. Weird.
Where did you capture this screenshot? Can you provide a link? It is weird, I agree.
I know the Head-Fi admins personally (met them several times at CanJams). They are all really good guys, so to be honest - I seriously doubt there is any conspiracy with Sennheiser...

May 25, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #442 of 1,204
Where did you capture this screenshot? Can you provide a link? It is weird, I agree.
I know the Head-Fi admins personally (met them several times at CanJams). They are all really good guys, so to be honest - I seriously doubt there is any conspiracy with Sennheiser...
I've had many, many posts deleted that cast Sennheiser in a less-than-positive light. I wouldn't immediately jump to "conspiracy" in the pop culture sense, but my experience has led me to believe they don't like negative opinions on the company to be shared on Head-Fi.

That screengrab was from my direct report on the review post. I'm not looking to be malicious; merely fair and unilaterally so.

May 25, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #443 of 1,204
I mean the language of the MoT terms, as @Zachik showed earlier, doesn't leave much room for interpretation. What they'll probably do is claim the catch-all of "Please note that Sponsors are exempted from some of these rules."
  • A Member of the Trade may not post subjective assessments or negative comments about the products/services of competitors or other Members of the Trade.
  • A Member of the Trade may not review (or make any subjective assessments of) his or her services and/or products he or she manufacturers, represents, sells.

May 25, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #444 of 1,204
May 25, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #445 of 1,204
I've had many, many posts deleted that cast Sennheiser in a less-than-positive light. I wouldn't immediately jump to "conspiracy" in the pop culture sense, but my experience has led me to believe they don't like negative opinions on the company to be shared on Head-Fi.

That screengrab was from my direct report on the review post. I'm not looking to be malicious; merely fair and unilaterally so.
I see. Thanks.
For the record, I understand the rules and intend to follow them.
However... I do think some subjective opinions should be allowed. For example, if I hear that EVO has more bass than some other Etymotic IEM - I think I should be able to say that, despite being subjective.
Once FR graph is provided by Etymotic - I will be able to use it as objective data, and point out differences from other Etymotic IEMs.
Unfortunately, there is no measurable way to show image retrieval, sound stage, etc. so those would have to wait until some people not associated with Etymotic get the EVO into their hands and write about it :)

May 25, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #446 of 1,204
I see. Thanks.
For the record, I understand the rules and intend to follow them.
However... I do think some subjective opinions should be allowed. For example, if I hear that EVO has more bass than some other Etymotic IEM - I think I should be able to say that, despite being subjective.
Once FR graph is provided by Etymotic - I will be able to use it as objective data, and point out differences from other Etymotic IEMs.
Unfortunately, there is no measurable way to show image retrieval, sound stage, etc. so those would have to wait until some people not associated with Etymotic get the EVO into their hands and write about it :)
I have no doubt you'll be an extremely valuable member of the community, MoT badge or otherwise. Did you end up getting the tour thread back?

May 25, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #447 of 1,204
I have no doubt you'll be an extremely valuable member of the community, MoT badge or otherwise. Did you end up getting the tour thread back?
Thank you for the kind words :)
No update on the tour, yet, but I hope to have good news soon... :fingers_crossed:

May 25, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #448 of 1,204
they look very small, do you have a photo next to other earphones?
Here is a photo next to my BLON BL-03 for reference:

1621973911988.png

The EVO is a little bigger.
I used to have a bunch of ChiFi IEMs but I can only find a couple, and they're all "bullet" style so they resemble the ER2/3/4 more than the EVO...

May 25, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #450 of 1,204
@EtyDave I'm curious about the "why" behind the particulars of the bass-boost on the ER2XR (why the corner frequency is where it is, why the sub-bass focus, etc) and the changes to that on the EVO (corner frequency lower than ER2XR at 100Hz, anything else?).

Was this based on some specific research / findings or just a matter of taste?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back