Etymotic Research EVO impressions and discussion thread
Jun 27, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #766 of 1,204
Had the SE425 & Westone W40, Much rather use a ER4SR with EQ or get the Evo. Since the SE425 was just pure mids while the W40 was dark & bass bloat with zero pinna gain and weak treble res/detail. DD bass is really overhyped since every BA headphone I've used seem to have unmatched Speed(diaphragm resting) & overall detail, Even the Single BA ER4 with not a slouch at all despite me saying a few pages back that the Evo a Super ER4XR the ER4 still a very high res IEM. Might wait for more FR charts to how It fares to ER4SR & ER4XR to see If It has that 7K dip gone which Is what loved about my ER2SE which made EQ'ing the treble easier.
Good that I choose ER4XR over an SE425 :sweat_smile:.

Re-listening to my whole collection of music, I am more and more convinced I should have opted for the then-cheaper-due-to-COVID ER4SR. I feel that the realism is higher (on toms and such) when I simulate the SR on the XR. I can believe the EVO to be better in resolution or separation, but I already know what I hear in the similarly-tuned XR.

Choices, choices :slight_smile:.

I am thankful for all the semi- and professional discussion and (ob- and subjective) analysis here, it really helps to look beyond the amazing past 1+ year.

Jun 27, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #767 of 1,204
The more I use the Nyx cable the more I like it’s combo with the EVO. The way the bass is portrayed really brings out the hidden bass-head in me. Was also able to deal with some of the ergonomics issues by twisting the cable which forces the memory wires in the right spot.

Just curious, does that use the Estron T2 plugs or a an equivalent? Estron has warned that use of other connectors might damage their sockets, but I haven't had a chance to verify that.

Jun 27, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #768 of 1,204
Just curious, does that use the Estron T2 plugs or a an equivalent? Estron has warned that use of other connectors might damage their sockets, but I haven't had a chance to verify that.
I'd have to email them to confirm (edit: I just sent out an email asking where they source their connectors from), but the plugs look legitimate to me. Knowing that I had to pay an extra 30 dollars (US) for them to change the 2-pin plugs to T2, I'd be really upset if they were sourcing counterfeits.

They look like the right side image below. So no split tube with black material in the center. A macro shot (to the best of my ability) is shown below of the connector that came on my Nyx cable. I'm actually not sure about the technical differences between a rubber ring and a gasket, but the red rubber portion is has a rectangular edge to it (vs a rounded one). I don't know about IP67 rating and that's not something I want to test personally (total protection against dust and .15-1 M depth/30 minute protection against water).

estron-t2-original-and-copy-comparison.jpg

DSC00597.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #769 of 1,204
I'd have to email them to confirm (edit: I just sent out an email asking where they source their connectors from), but the plugs look legitimate to me. Knowing that I had to pay an extra 30 dollars (US) for them to change the 2-pin plugs to T2, I'd be really upset if they were sourcing counterfeits.

They look like the right side image below. So no split tube with black material in the center. A macro shot (to the best of my ability) is shown below of the connector that came on my Nyx cable. I'm actually not sure about the technical differences between a rubber ring and a gasket, but the red rubber portion is has a rectangular edge to it (vs a rounded one). I don't know about IP67 rating and that's not something I want to test personally (total protection against dust and .15-1 M depth/30 minute protection against water).

estron-t2-original-and-copy-comparison.jpg

DSC00597.jpg
Yep, that picture does look right. That should work just fine.

Jun 28, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #770 of 1,204
I see the extension is still quite low on the evo only going up to 16khz.

Extension has been a sore thumb in the etymotic series moreso than the soundstage (the bass I found to be quite fantastic in general). Percussive instruments in music trail past 20khz all the time and younger people including myself can still hear decay quite a few progressive and alternative rock songs.

I understood the single driver models having limited upper extension but there are now THREE drivers to work with.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #771 of 1,204

Extension has been a sore thumb in the etymotic series moreso than the soundstage (the bass I found to be quite fantastic in general). Percussive instruments in music trail past 20khz all the time and younger people including myself can still hear decay quite a few progressive and alternative rock songs.

I understood the single driver models having limited upper extension but there are now THREE drivers to work with.
Two of those drivers are for bass though. So they still only have one driver for the midrange and treble (and possibly some bass too). It kind of looks like they added two bass drivers over their normal single BA to shape the bass how they wanted it to.

Jun 28, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #772 of 1,204
Good that I choose ER4XR over an SE425 :sweat_smile:.

Re-listening to my whole collection of music, I am more and more convinced I should have opted for the then-cheaper-due-to-COVID ER4SR. I feel that the realism is higher (on toms and such) when I simulate the SR on the XR. I can believe the EVO to be better in resolution or separation, but I already know what I hear in the similarly-tuned XR.

Choices, choices :slight_smile:.

I am thankful for all the semi- and professional discussion and (ob- and subjective) analysis here, it really helps to look beyond the amazing past 1+ year.
Cut the 200Hz are by 1.8db with Q 1.6 if you want a clearer 4XR. It why I use a 5db 80Hz low shelf since It avoids the slight bloat at 200Hz.

Jun 28, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #773 of 1,204

I have this feeling so far. Im doing tiprolling now with shure silicon tips and i cant get any perfect seal with 2 flange ety tips regardless size. Too big, resulting a further driver which lead to thin sound. It seems my ear did well with normal eartips like shure.

Jun 28, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #775 of 1,204
Im doing tiprolling now with shure silicon tips and i cant get any perfect seal with 2 flange ety tips regardless size.
Have you tried Etymotic 3-flange tips? Worked better than 2-flange for my ears... I know the tour units shipped with 2-flange only, unfortunately. I "borrowed" the 3-flange from my other Etymotic IEMs :wink:

Jun 28, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #776 of 1,204
Two of those drivers are for bass though. So they still only have one driver for the midrange and treble (and possibly some bass too). It kind of looks like they added two bass drivers over their normal single BA to shape the bass how they wanted it to.
Yes. Make no mistake what frequencies the etys do cover are done so immaculately (the ER4SR). Their clean signature is why it has always been THE true mainstay in my inventory. Bass is nimble and electric guitars super clean.

Despite what I'm reading about the treble extension from multiple reviews I'll probably try it out sometime in the future. I just think $500 is a bit too much right now considering I'm 23 and that's as much as a current gen gaming console!

Jun 28, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #777 of 1,204
Hopefully a future revision will fix the treble roll off. Though I understand why Etymotic has focused on the most audible frequency range. They have done so expertly.

Of course I haven't listened to the EVOs yet. Just going off of what I've read so far about them.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #778 of 1,204
Despite what I'm reading about the treble extension from multiple reviews I'll probably try it out sometime in the future. I just think $500 is a bit too much right now considering I'm 23 and that's as much as a current gen gaming console!
I'll elaborate on this within my review, but I don't think Ety's sound field would work as effectively as it would if there was more of a treble presence. It also translates into a really fatigue-free listening experience; so long as you get in-ear positioning right, they really are all-day comfortable.

Think of it this way: that next-gen gaming console will be obsolete in a couple years. These Etys will last forever as long as you don't try to run them through the garbage disposal. I'm not enabling you to get this pair, but I consider IEMs to be a much more stable purchase than the PS17 or Xbox Tesseract.

Jun 28, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #779 of 1,204
I'll elaborate on this within my review, but I don't think Ety's sound field would work as effectively as it would if there was more of a treble presence. It also translates into a really fatigue-free listening experience; so long as you get in-ear positioning right, they really are all-day comfortable.

Think of it this way: that next-gen gaming console will be obsolete in a couple years. These Etys will last forever as long as you don't try to run them through the garbage disposal. I'm not enabling you to get this pair, but I consider IEMs to be a much more stable purchase than the PS17 or Xbox Tesseract.
True. 500 doesn't seem that much of a deal breaker considering the warranty it comes with. My PC is ~$1600 and the fun has been worth it.

I was considering a diffuse field DD to compliment my ER4SR, if one so exists, but as soon as I heard about the EVOs I shifted my attention away from the Hifiman RE800, Fiio FD1 and even the Campfire Honeydew. None of these are absolute neutrality like the ER4 but I'm okay with a lil coloration. Just more depth to the presentation and higher frequency reach.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #780 of 1,204
True. 500 doesn't seem that much of a deal breaker considering the warranty it comes with. My PC is ~$1600 and the fun has been worth it.

I was considering a diffuse field DD, if one so exists, but my ER4 has lasted me quite a while so as soon as I heard about the EVOs I shifted my attention away from the Hifiman RE800, Fiio FD1 and even the Campfire Honeydew. None of these are absolute neutrality like the ER4 but I'm okay with a lil coloration. Just more depth to the presentation and higher frequency reach.
I've been using the ER4XR, CA Comet, and Noble X to most closely compare the Evo's sound signature. Based on what my ears hear when cycling through those options, treble tuning would have to be done very carefully on a future iteration or one of two things tends to happen for me:
  1. The sound field collapses entirely. The Evo has a pretty wide stage and can reach ear to ear on the right setup (doesn't even have to be an expensive one, just needs to be tuned slightly warm to achieve it). The moment I start to inject some treble energy back in, that shrinks significantly
  2. Things get peaky quick. This could be corrected by a lot of trial and error, especially to figure out where your pinna gain lies, but I didn't really want to go through the work to set it up. Went through too many setups to get consistent results, but I suppose it's possible.
The Comet definitely has the treble energy you're discussing, but it doesn't have the same sense of staging or smooth presentation. It also tends to get congested on busy passages and God help you if you put a poor recording on (things get stabby fast). Noble X is a much closer match and, while it's far from a "neutrally-tuned" IEM, it reminded me most of an Evo with a little bit of a treble boost. Makes sense, given its somewhat similar architecture, but you get the same result: smaller stage width in comparison. Depth also takes a hit.

The Evo, while not as tonally "robust" as some of the more treble-present pairs out there, is very capable technically. I think that's what impressed me the most over a week's testing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back