Etymotic & Westone - Discussion & Impressions (index in 1st post)
Oct 30, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #302 of 408
I used to believe that about the ZX300's 3.5mm output too, but take that same output, feed it though the Periodic Audio Nickel and then into the MACH80 and prepare to be truly amazed.

Yes, it will depend on your source. Not familiar with zx300 but Sony is usually underpowered. Oh, and their UK versions are volume limited, more like handicapped (read wm1zm2 thread, people are super frustrated).

So, depending on your source and if you are dealing with 10, 40, 60, and 80 models which have lower sensitivity, you might want to use higher power balanced output of your dap, unless you are OK with external amp.

Another option, ask another cable maker to reterminate it for you. Maybe even Linum can do it for a small fee. You are a limited since hardly anybody offers quality ipx cables. Also, I would be cautious about EA cables with modular ConX or Linsoul adapters. They do have ipx tip option, but it's not the original from Linum but 3rd party manufacturers. Read this warning https://www.linum.dk/discover/news-and-articles/warning-t2-plug-copy/

Oct 30, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #303 of 408
Oct 30, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #304 of 408
Yes, it will depend on your source. Not familiar with zx300 but Sony is usually underpowered. Oh, and their UK versions are volume limited, more like handicapped (read wm1zm2 thread, people are super frustrated).

So, depending on your source and if you are dealing with 10, 40, 60, and 80 models which have lower sensitivity, you might want to use higher power balanced output of your dap, unless you are OK with external amp.

Another option, ask another cable maker to reterminate it for you. Maybe even Linum can do it for a small fee. You are a limited since hardly anybody offers quality ipx cables. Also, I would be cautious about EA cables with modular ConX or Linsoul adapters. They do have ipx tip option, but it's not the original from Linum but 3rd party manufacturers. Read this warning https://www.linum.dk/discover/news-and-articles/warning-t2-plug-copy/

Yeah, lack of 3rd party IPX/T2 options is frustrating, but I expect/hope that will change as more and more companies implement the Estron system.

Oct 30, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #305 of 408
Great idea, thanks.

When most new Daps have 4.4mm sockets why would someone want to use SE? I've tried both on the same player and prefer balanced. Also I don't want to stack, too bulky and usually depletes the battery faster.
Balanced for headphones was invented I believe by Astell And Kern, 2.5mm plug/socket in their case, for marketing reasons, to get us to part with more of our money, its as simple as that. There is never any valid performance reason for using Balanced vs Single Ended connection over a 1.2m long IEM cable.

The fact that some players are designed and built to output more power and sound better from the balanced output further adds to this marketing ploy.

This is off-topic for here though, I'm sure there are plenty of Sound Science type forums where people talk about this till everyone is completely bored with it.

I'm happy with my ZX300 + Nickel when desk bound and just the ZX300 by itself when out and about.

I don't really like the sound from Hugo2 when used with most of my IEM's, its a little too bright and clinical for me when used with the MACH80, the Sony's warm sound signature makes it a great paring with the MACH80 though.

Oct 30, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #306 of 408
Balanced for headphones was invented I believe by Astell And Kern, 2.5mm plug/socket in their case, for marketing reasons, to get us to part with more of our money, its as simple as that. There is never any valid performance reason for using Balanced vs Single Ended connection over a 1.2m long IEM cable.
XLR has been used for balanced headphones for years even before AK were still calling themselves iRiver.

This hobby's moderate core exists on the part of the venn diagram that 95% of the population would consider 'invalid performance gains' - Relax and enjoy! If balanced isn't for you, power to you (and your wallet) :)

Oct 30, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #307 of 408
I don't think they are worth the money to be honest, especially from the Linum website 300+ Euros for a balanced cable, really. I will stick with 3.5mm for the MACH80 and use a source with a high quality 3.5mm output.
I agree. But after searching on eBay for 3rd party T2 cable for a long time, and not being able to find a suitable one and Etymotic also does not offer a balanced option, I cut my kidney out and traded it in. So, last week I bled the money for a balanced T2 Linum SuperBax 4.4mm TRRRS for my Etymotic EVO. But that price... you have to be insane or they really have to add something extra. I will see when I receive them... But I guess I like my EVO's so much that I just wanted to spoil them for one times sake.

Oct 30, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #308 of 408
XLR has been used for balanced headphones for years even before AK were still calling themselves iRiver.

This hobby's moderate core exists on the part of the venn diagram that 95% of the population would consider 'invalid performance gains' - Relax and enjoy! If balanced isn't for you, power to you (and your wallet) :)
For IEM's like the MACH80 with eight drivers per side it would make even more sense to have separate balanced conductors for every driver all the way back to the output stage. I'm not sure what we would call the plug for that one but perhaps I've just predicted the future. You read it here first folks. :wink:

I can't wait for everyone to say how amazing it sounds either.

Oct 30, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #309 of 408
They do have ipx tip option, but it's not the original from Linum but 3rd party manufacturers. Read this warning https://www.linum.dk/discover/news-and-articles/warning-t2-plug-copy/
I am wondering if more reputable cable companies that offer IPX connectors are using better quality IPX...
I recently bought an Effect Audio Ares S cable with IPX connectors to test with MACH IEMs. See:
https://www.effectaudio.com/ares-s

Not exactly $29 AliExpress cheap no-brand Chinese cable, but reputable company who cares about their reputation.
I definitely love the look and feel of the cable. Still trying to decide if it offers any SQ upgrade or not, but the fact the tips are replaceable - I now have a single cable that can connect to 2.5mm, 3.5mm and 4.4mm sources!

Oct 30, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #310 of 408
I am wondering if more reputable cable companies that offer IPX connectors are using better quality IPX...
I recently bought an Effect Audio Ares S cable with IPX connectors to test with MACH IEMs. See:
https://www.effectaudio.com/ares-s

Not exactly $29 AliExpress cheap no-brand Chinese cable, but reputable company who cares about their reputation.
I definitely love the look and feel of the cable. Still trying to decide if it offers any SQ upgrade or not, but the fact the tips are replaceable - I now have a single cable that can connect to 2.5mm, 3.5mm and 4.4mm sources!

Oh, absolutely, with their ConX and TermX you have a single modular cable to go between 2pin, mmcx, ipx, etc, and 2.5mm, 3.5mm, 4.4mm, and even usb-c and lightning. And I have their ipx connector and tested it with different iems. It works perfectly, but I confirmed it is not Linum made connector, though if it breaks or something happens with a tip, you can unscrew it and replace it. That's a benefit of a fully modular cable.

Oct 30, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #312 of 408
It works perfectly, but I confirmed it is not Linum made connector, though if it breaks or something happens with a tip, you can unscrew it and replace it. That's a benefit of a fully modular cable.
I agree - it works well, but to clarify: most people would be more concerned about damaging the IEMs. At least when using expensive (over $1,000) IEMs and $199 cable...

Lol looking to the company literally selling 5000 USD iem cables as "reputable"
Ares S is a $199 cable. In my mind, they are reputable NOT because they have a $5000 cable, but because they have been around for a long time, and been endorsed by several IEM companies in the past (e.g. EmpireEars).

Nov 3, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #313 of 408
Nov 6, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #314 of 408
Today we check out the Mach 80 on Headfonia. Article is by @Aerosphere

https://www.headfonia.com/westone-audio-mach-80-review/

chrome_2022-11-06_10-22-03.png

Nov 16, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #315 of 408

Users who are viewing this thread

Back