Ety's vs. Fischer?
Sep 19, 2012 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

imadroppa

New Head-Fier
Well, here's my dilemma. I am a hip-hop producer, i make instrumentals. So headphones are a big deal for me. My problem is that i have 3 pair of bassy iem's (kicker EB141, Xears TD4, ATH-CKS77), and in need of something more along the lines of neutral for mixing and mastering. I dont really want over the ear cans for opinionated reasons, so IEM's are my thing.

I've narrowed it down to Etymotic HF5 and Fischer Audio DBA-02. Which would you head-fi'ers rcommend? Isolaton isnt a deal breaker, but it would be nice (obviously the Ety's would be a better choice for isolating needs).

Thanks for any and all replies. Also, if there is a better set (preferrably under $175) feel free to suggest that as well.

In case anybody cares about my "work": http://soundcloud.com/ima-droppa

Sep 19, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #2 of 24
I personally think the HF5 would be better for studio use and you might want to look at the PFE 112 or 122 if you need a mic function.  The highs of the DBA-02 or boosted a bit where as the HF5 is more of a flat response across all frequencies.  Now I haven't heard the DBA-02 MKII but the highs are said to be more tame but I still think the Ety's are the way to go and I'm sure Ety Jim will agree with me on this one 
biggrin.gif

If your were to up your budget about $60 you could get the Etymotic ER-4 which would be really good for studio monitoring, they're selling on Amazon for $230 with free shipping.

Sep 19, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #3 of 24
Etymotic would be the direction to go over the DBA...  You may also want to look at something like the HiFiMan RE0 as well.  

Sep 19, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 24
I have the B2 (same as DBA-02), it has beautiful but hyped treble. It's not neutral, and the kind of coloring it has is by no means what you want in hip hop. If you're fixed on something with a balanced armature maybe read up on the PFE 012 with extra filters so you have 3 different sounds (I have not tried the PFE 012, it's just a general guideline). But I'm guessing a neutral dynamic is more your thing since you need bass extension, in which case get the RE-Zero instead of the RE-0: it has a warmer lushier sound, it's pretty neutral but with forward mids.

Sep 19, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #6 of 24
ER4P or HF-3/5 without amp - ER4S with amp. Done.

Sep 19, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:
I have the B2 (same as DBA-02), it has beautiful but hyped treble. It's not neutral, and the kind of coloring it has is by no means what you want in hip hop. If you're fixed on something with a balanced armature maybe read up on the PFE 012 with extra filters so you have 3 different sounds (I have not tried the PFE 012, it's just a general guideline). But I'm guessing a neutral dynamic is more your thing since you need bass extension, in which case get the RE-Zero instead of the RE-0: it has a warmer lushier sound, it's pretty neutral but with forward mids.

Yeah for what the OP need the Etymotics are the best choice for mixing and mastering tracks in the studio.  You still might want to stretch your budget a bit more and get the ER-4 and more specifically the ER-4S, they're perfect for studio work.

Sep 19, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:
Yeah for what the OP need the Etymotics are the best choice for mixing and mastering tracks in the studio.  You still might want to stretch your budget a bit more and get the ER-4 and more specifically the ER-4S, they're perfect for studio work.

I've never seen anyone recommend the ER-4 for mixing, listening or even coming close to Hip Hop. A super-detailed balanced armature just doesn't seem to be the best choice, but you have tried it and I haven't, so I'll shut up about it.

Sep 19, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

I've never seen anyone recommend the ER-4 for mixing, listening or even coming close to Hip Hop. A super-detailed balanced armature just doesn't seem to be the best choice, but you have tried it and I haven't, so I'll shut up about it.

Seriously, there's quite a few people I know of that use the ER-4S in the studio and really that's one of the things they were made for back in the day.  On the Etymotic site the ER-4 is being promoted by the band The Police's sound engineer as he uses them in the studio.  They're perfect for mixing and mastering because they don't boost any part of the frequency, if you use bass heavy headphones or IEM's to mix the track it will sound all kinds of wrong.

Sep 19, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #10 of 24
Well, It seems we almost all agree on the Etymotic IEMs.

I will say that I have purchased 2 of the 4 sets of ER-4 IEMs that I own from eBay.Have a look, economy used pricing.

They (the ER-4) are a long lasting IEM, being serviced by Etymotic if need be. The others? Well, lets just say they are disposable.

My thoughts, Jim

PS Don't be wooed by any of the filter change gimmicks of the higher priced competition either. Ety does that too. See NRB Mod in my Sig !!!

Sep 19, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #11 of 24
But what if someone doesn't want their nuts rattled, but likes good bass? 
cool.gif

Sep 19, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #13 of 24
I suppose we could call it...

The Kinder Gentler Mod...

LOLz, Jim
Quote:
But what if someone doesn't want their nuts rattled, but likes good bass? 
cool.gif

Sep 19, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #14 of 24
Why mess the Etys up with filters. If you want non audiophile phones, just get dr dre beats and call it a day :p

Sep 19, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #15 of 24
Das is guut...

LOLz, Jim
Quote:
Why mess the Etys up with filters. If you want non audiophile phones, just get dr dre beats and call it a day
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back