Europe to cap the volume of mp3 players - a head-fier's worst nightmare?
Sep 28, 2009 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

ear8dmg

500+ Head-Fier
Sep 28, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 20
yeah, we need louder music! I can't hear nothing

it's been proven that loudness war music is actually more dangerous, because if there's no louder, there's no softer. keeping the ear under the agression of constant loudness is much worse than anything else.

Sep 28, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #3 of 20
I actually support some type of cap on volumes.

There are far too many people I see out there with their iPod earbuds blasting at ridiculously loud volumes. Not only is this detrimental to one's health, its also incredibly annoying to everyone else around you.

Sep 28, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #4 of 20
How do they plan to achieve a given volume level when it's always possible to buy more sensitive cans ? Will they attach the stock earbuds to the mp3 player ?

Sep 28, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #5 of 20
A volume cap would be good, the subsequent loudness war would be bad.

Sep 28, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #6 of 20
A volume cap may be fine.
But only if it measure the output volume of the attached ear/headphone, as their efficiency vary a lot. Anything else is wrong, as one 'phone may output 89db on a set device while another may not be able to output more than 80db...

Sep 28, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as much as i dislike the eu i dont blame them for this i blame the loudness war for things having gotten ever louder and louder

but people should be able to deafen them selves if they want to

and thats the problem right there..the EU make up such silly rules passing policies of complete BS and taking away human freedom. And some just darn right silly..I remember being told they were passing a policy where tinned apricots had to be of a certain size (the actual apricots in the tin, not the tin size itself). I mean sure this ensures we all get nice sized apricots but come on..how about tackling more serious issues? (like how to deal with Mr.Brown's incompetencies?)

Sep 28, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #9 of 20
let's stay on track and discuss the volume cap, and not politics eh?

I think its a good idea. I cringe when I hear prople walking past with earbuds so loud *I* can hear it clearly..

Sep 28, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but people should be able to deafen them selves if they want to

QFT

Sep 28, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #11 of 20
So how loud is too loud? when I'm on on the bus I keep my ipod at about 75-80% when I take them off I can't hear any leaking. Would this be considered harm to my health?

Sep 28, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #13 of 20
I think it's a good idea to set the cap as default but give the user the ability to remove it (which according to BBC is what's being proposed). I needed to remove the cap from my iPod 5G (using GoPod) to allow my HD595s to reach a reasonable level.

Sep 28, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote from the article :

Quote:

The best solution to this we've found is for bands to follow the example of Metallica with Death Magnetic and record their music much louder.

Was that a joke? If that is the recommendation, then it will truly be sonic armageddon. Generally, I am not all that fussy about quality recordings (i.e. I don't pay exorbitant dollars for high end rematers / recordings), but obviously good recordings are preferred. Metallica's Death Magnetic must be around one of the worst ones I have and is really quite awful.

I am in the "but people should be able to deafen them selves if they want to" camp. DAPs need to have meaningful output as some cans require more power. I found several players like Creative's Zen Vision M lacking sufficient kick in the headphone out to drive PX100s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back