Eversolo DMP-A6 Network Streamer/DAC
Sep 22, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #211 of 772
It would definitely be a upgrade over the D50. Although I never have owned a D50 I did own at one point a DX3 Pro+ and a SMSL M500 mark 2. The Eversolo sounds leagues better than these. Although I’m using it in the living room versus headphones I think it will still be a good choice for either. To me the Eversolo dac sounds natural, clear, laid back and balanced. It seems to have the right approach between “fun” and “chill” simultaneously.
Thank you! Much appreciated!

Sep 22, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #212 of 772
Overall this unit makes a lot of sense to me. Good price point, good performance. One thing where there seems to be a disconnect is the playback screen font size and overall unit dimensions. It’s not necessarily a desktop sized unit more of a rack or living room sized unit for a loudspeaker system or headphone setup where you have a gear shelf system near to your listening position. I have this in my living room and from roughly 12-15 feet away the only thing visible and discernible on the screen is the album artwork. Artist, album and track are too small to be readable and no settings exist for UI customization or altered playback screen layout to account for this. Otherwise the unit it pretty stellar in my books. Will probably look at finalizing my cables this winter with proper optical and subwoofer cables. The unit performs just fine using the rca outputs and audio quest splitters to my amp and subs. One other thing I’ll mention. I rip some of my cds to wav and the parsing on this unit or in Roon for metadata based on file names is not that strong. I can hear the difference usually between flac and wav which is why I usually prefer wav. If you were going to use this unit with a m.2 internally and use the smartphone gui to find and index music etc I would stick with a metadata rich file format like flac or mp3 etc so all the fields populate properly upon indexing. 👍🏻 There’s no way I’m renaming thousands of wav files just to offload the monthly subscription fee of Roon and use the internal m.2 slot since the unit natively supports Qobuz. Something to consider with a music library. I assume future software updates will improve a lot of this.

Attachments

• IMG_3416.jpeg
    IMG_3416.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3417.jpeg
    IMG_3417.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 22, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #213 of 772
Soooo... a player :) It plays music. It plays music from various sources including internet. But that's just a player. I would call it media player, or media audio player.

Streamer to me is something that streams. It can stream music from the internet and to the internet. That's streaming. Both ways, but still streaming.

Anyway, no point messing this thread up. They are called streamers. I accept that. But I don't have to like it. The name threw me away. I though it can do something because it's called something. I learned. Move along people :)
I think part of the reason why you're on your own in terms of disappointment is that there's already a well-known product that does exactly what you're asking and it's called Roon. And most of us know about it because they advertise all over this site and it's usually mentioned in online reviews when the devices are Roon capable, making it clear Roon requires specialized hardware to run. So you can complain about one company using the term "streamer" when literally every other company that makes a similar device calls it a streamer too. I mean, that's a little odd to me, but if it's that a big a deal to you, just get Roon.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 12:50 AM Post #214 of 772
I think part of the reason why you're on your own in terms of disappointment is that there's already a well-known product that does exactly what you're asking and it's called Roon. And most of us know about it because they advertise all over this site and it's usually mentioned in online reviews when the devices are Roon capable, making it clear Roon requires specialized hardware to run. So you can complain about one company using the term "streamer" when literally every other company that makes a similar device calls it a streamer too. I mean, that's a little odd to me, but if it's that a big a deal to you, just get Roon.
I'm not complaining about one company using the term 'streamer', but about the fact that the whole product group is called 'streamers' when they cannot stream... or at least can only stream one way. It's not a big deal at all. It was just a passing comment.

I could be wrong, but Roon is just a software service. I am talking about a hardware product (with its own software).

Anyway, it all doesn't matter. Those products are called 'streamers' and I cannot do anything about it. Let's go back to the Eversolo discussion.

What's curious is why they cannot do that. It would add a lot of additional functionality. They already have the hardware and the software, including an app. They give you access to streaming services, to your own music library. They have good hardware. It's already connected to internet. It would create a sort of media centre and satisfy all music needs. All of music in one place - your own and from other services. It can be listened to at home and on the go, etc. For me that would be a big selling point. As it is, it is just a glorified music player that can be only used at home and the value proposition is much smaller (at least to me). I don't use streaming services like Spotify and the like but have a large music collection at home. Unfortunately, I lack a good streaming hardware (my NAS is ancient). If that product could send music to my phone while I'm on the go, I would have ordered it a few days back. It looks good, it has a good DAC, etc. But because it cannot, I haven't yet and trying to decide if it would work for me. My computer is my media centre while I'm at home. It can do everything Eversolo can. I listen to my music sitting next to my computer. So having a dedicated music player next to my computer doesn't really make much sense. When I leave home I power it off though. I know we are all different and look for different things, but for me, if Eversolo could stream music to my phone, it would be a deciding factor.

Anyway, apologies. It wasn't my intention to de-rail this thread. It was just a passing comment.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 5:12 AM Post #215 of 772
OK, thanks.

Another question. Talking about album art (image), is the unit able to display album image saved as "folder.jpg" in the same folder as the album songs?
Yes I think so. My ripped library has had various versions of coverart files stored in the same folder as the songs and displays them no problem. Thus cover.jpg or coverart.jpg or NameOfAlbum.jpg have all worked, I think folder.jpg will also work OK.

Sep 23, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #216 of 772
I'm not complaining about one company using the term 'streamer', but about the fact that the whole product group is called 'streamers' when they cannot stream... or at least can only stream one way. It's not a big deal at all. It was just a passing comment.

I could be wrong, but Roon is just a software service. I am talking about a hardware product (with its own software).

Anyway, it all doesn't matter. Those products are called 'streamers' and I cannot do anything about it. Let's go back to the Eversolo discussion.

What's curious is why they cannot do that. It would add a lot of additional functionality. They already have the hardware and the software, including an app. They give you access to streaming services, to your own music library. They have good hardware. It's already connected to internet. It would create a sort of media centre and satisfy all music needs. All of music in one place - your own and from other services. It can be listened to at home and on the go, etc. For me that would be a big selling point. As it is, it is just a glorified music player that can be only used at home and the value proposition is much smaller (at least to me). I don't use streaming services like Spotify and the like but have a large music collection at home. Unfortunately, I lack a good streaming hardware (my NAS is ancient). If that product could send music to my phone while I'm on the go, I would have ordered it a few days back. It looks good, it has a good DAC, etc. But because it cannot, I haven't yet and trying to decide if it would work for me. My computer is my media centre while I'm at home. It can do everything Eversolo can. I listen to my music sitting next to my computer. So having a dedicated music player next to my computer doesn't really make much sense. When I leave home I power it off though. I know we are all different and look for different things, but for me, if Eversolo could stream music to my phone, it would be a deciding factor.

Anyway, apologies. It wasn't my intention to de-rail this thread. It was just a passing comment.
I think everyone has a different use case for devices like this. For me personally i needed a streamer in my living room to replace my broken Cambridge unit. You could always get a DAP if you weren’t into getting Roon ARC setup. There are a lot more expensive options for streaming from companies like Lumin, Innuos and Aurilac. That’s why a lot of people like the Eversolo I’m guessing because it’s a fraction of the cost of these more expensive options yet still sounds pretty good. I honestly think you would like Roon ARC you can make your pc your core and use local storage files for you library next to tidal and Qobuz. Then you could access your library on the go and not have to fiddle with a DAP constantly transferring files and stuff. Personally I have no use case for portable audio since I’m constantly lisenting to the Sirius XM jazz channels in my truck and don’t take public transit.

Sep 23, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #217 of 772
I think everyone has a different use case for devices like this. For me personally i needed a streamer in my living room to replace my broken Cambridge unit. You could always get a DAP if you weren’t into getting Roon ARC setup. There are a lot more expensive options for streaming from companies like Lumin, Innuos and Aurilac. That’s why a lot of people like the Eversolo I’m guessing because it’s a fraction of the cost of these more expensive options yet still sounds pretty good. I honestly think you would like Roon ARC you can make your pc your core and use local storage files for you library next to tidal and Qobuz. Then you could access your library on the go and not have to fiddle with a DAP constantly transferring files and stuff. Personally I have no use case for portable audio since I’m constantly lisenting to the Sirius XM jazz channels in my truck and don’t take public transit.
Thank you! Yes, I'm researching my options. Plex was recommended to me so I'm just learning what it is and how to use it. I will also check Roon.

I only use the music on the go at the gym and when cycling, so I don't want to spend an am and a leg for that pleasure. It would be good to have access to my whole music collection in my car too though (connected via Android Auto), so that's why I'm checking available options. Thanks!

Sep 23, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #218 of 772
@HiFiRebel yeah I agree with piakoB’s suggestion of picking up a DAP if you want to keep costs down. You’ll have to figure out how to put your music onto a microSD card but 1tb (as an example) is a lot of space. And it’s going to sound better than any streaming option.

Sep 23, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #219 of 772
@HiFiRebel yeah I agree with piakoB’s suggestion of picking up a DAP if you want to keep costs down. You’ll have to figure out how to put your music onto a microSD card but 1tb (as an example) is a lot of space. And it’s going to sound better than any streaming option.
Thank you. However, I want to move away from carrying another device with me. I want my phone to be my core music player. Less devices to charge and remember about, etc. I think Plex might be the solution for me. I'm just learning more about it, but it looks like it might work even on my ancient NAS. In a way I'm sad, because Eversolo is a handsome looking device and it would look on my desk. If they add ability to stream to devices on the go, or Plex server capability, I will re-consider it. Until then I wish you all fantastic bug-free experience with your awesome Eversolo device :)

Sep 26, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #220 of 772
Thank you. However, I want to move away from carrying another device with me. I want my phone to be my core music player. Less devices to charge and remember about, etc. I think Plex might be the solution for me. I'm just learning more about it, but it looks like it might work even on my ancient NAS. In a way I'm sad, because Eversolo is a handsome looking device and it would look on my desk. If they add ability to stream to devices on the go, or Plex server capability, I will re-consider it. Until then I wish you all fantastic bug-free experience with your awesome Eversolo device :)
Details of an imminent firmware update for the A6 on the Zidoo/Eversolo Forum include support for a native Plex feature.

Sep 29, 2023 at 11:15 PM Post #222 of 772
4. One slight drawback is that you have to select specific input and output ports, multiple or simultaneous selections apart from analog outputs are not allowed. So if you choose any of the digital inputs even including Bluetooth, you can only hear the result via the analog outputs of the internal DAC, you cannot send it out again on a digital output for example.

Is this still the case?

I had thought, from reading the Eversolo website, that it would possible for the DMP-A6 to accept an SPDIF Input, and provide a USB Output.

My use case is: SPDIF Audio Output from my Roku or Android Net Streamer, into the DMP-A6, which then Outputs a USB signal to be used by my USB DACs

Sep 30, 2023 at 6:20 AM Post #223 of 772
Don,t know if it has been posted.

But Beatechnik has an LPS upgrade for the DMP-A6: LPS FOR EVERSOLO DMP-A6 ($286)
Will be available in Nov. And it will replace the PS in the DMP-A6.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #224 of 772
Is this still the case?

I had thought, from reading the Eversolo website, that it would possible for the DMP-A6 to accept an SPDIF Input, and provide a USB Output.

My use case is: SPDIF Audio Output from my Roku or Android Net Streamer, into the DMP-A6, which then Outputs a USB signal to be used by my USB DACs
This is still the case I think. SPDIF either coax or optical input into A6 can only emerge via the analog output(s), there is no option for USB output allowed by the current system for this input.

Sep 30, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #225 of 772
I've been intrigued by this unit, but one thing I'm hoping someone can confirm - can you sort your music by "Album Artist"? I prefer this much more to the usual "Artist" sorting (one of the reasons I like DBPoweramp app on my Fiio portable. Thx!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back