Evolving the UM Reference: A New Chapter for the Mason Series—Mason Nuit Étoilée & Soleil Tombé
Jan 26, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #31 of 202
In general I really enjoy Unique Melody's IEM's and I've had good experiences with various models in their lineup. Having said that this price point for an IEM regardless of brand, materials, R&D or any other metric is absolutely absurd.

Nobody in their right mind would invest over $8500 on an IEM. The cost of materials is very low and regardless of how these sound there's no way that the cost should approach anywhere near $8000.

Unique Melody is just pissing people off and destroying their loyal fanbase. This seems like a very short sighted marketing scheme.

Jan 26, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #32 of 202
R&D takes years and tons of money. What do you want the company to do? innovate once and be done? Not recoup on their investment? or sit around and wait for years while others surpass them?
Right. Name other established technical consumer “flagship” products that increased their price a 1000% (!) in only a few years while staying the same in their functionality and basic build. Honestly, there might be some new fancy drivers inside, but wired earphones really aren’t such of a super complex product in comparison to others (that don’t see such price development). Or compare this to the development of something new like the Apple Vision Pro, for example. Open your eyes people. Again, they cost so much for the same reason as a Louis Vuitton bag or a Rolex…they are now marketed as luxury goods. Believe it or not. Of course that’s everybody’s company’s right…but…BUT (…our beloved hobby!)

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #33 of 202
Right. Name other established technical consumer “flagship” products that increased their price a 1000% (!) in only a few years while staying the same in their functionality and basic build. Honestly, there might be some new fancy drivers inside, but wired earphones really aren’t such of a super complex product in comparison to others (that don’t see such price development). Or compare this to the development of something new like the Apple Vision Pro, for example. Open your eyes people. Again, they cost so much for the same reason as a Louis Vuitton bag or a Rolex…they are now marketed as luxury goods. Believe it or not. Of course that’s everybody’s company’s right…but…BUT (…our beloved hobby!)
the issue here is that rolex/lv bag/ jewelry can last decades and they are accessories that can't get outdated.
iems on the other side are consumer electronics. In 3-5 years time, chifi will produce a 1k IEM that will outperform these.

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #34 of 202
In 3-5 years time, chifi will produce a 1k IEM that will outperform these.
Interesting prediction. I think UM is pushing customers hard to Kinera for exemple.
Why? Innovation accelerate and it's wont' be 3 years before introduction of such technologies in the mid-market.
I would go as far as saying 1 year! Time will tell but I'm convinced that cycles are much faster.

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #35 of 202
Although the special PW cable that’s included with the new Mason’s will likely sound fine, you‘ll need to upgrade to a Brise cable to truly hear the TOTL sonic nirvana that they are capable of…
IMG_2379.jpeg

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #36 of 202
In general I really enjoy Unique Melody's IEM's and I've had good experiences with various models in their lineup. Having said that this price point for an IEM regardless of brand, materials, R&D or any other metric is absolutely absurd.

Nobody in their right mind would invest over $8500 on an IEM. The cost of materials is very low and regardless of how these sound there's no way that the cost should approach anywhere near $8000.

Unique Melody is just pissing people off and destroying their loyal fanbase. This seems like a very short sighted marketing scheme.
Even if they DID somehow spend millions upon millions for R&D, it would surely be better to sell it for a lower price and sell orders of magnitude more units.

This seems quite short-sighted and exploitative from UM, gouging their most loyal customers and turning off everyone else.

Jan 26, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #38 of 202
@UniqueMelody Is there plans to offer a Fusang version of this new Mason generation? I am interested.
I don't about that. If there is one, I hope it will be in a new style/shape rather than RHFE or Indigo. 🤔

Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Jan 26, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #39 of 202
Owner and lover of AP here.

VE just released a new flagship at $3k.

just sayin'

Jan 26, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #41 of 202
This is so disgusting. UM knows exactly the target audience on Head-Fi.
I think it's time to quit Head-Fi and head over to Reddit or something to discuss Hi-Fi.
I feel like we are witnessing our hobby inheriting the problems of the sneaker or watch world.

This crap needs to be shot down before it takes off. It will destroy the hobby, if we let it.

Jan 26, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #42 of 202
Well the watches market is in better shape, real valuables does not lost value and are still decades long life.

The damage done here in our hobby are probably irreversibles as so many are educated to think it's normal prices
and don't question the valuation anymore. Brands will not back on pricing it would be an admission of misbehavior.

Every few months you have a 2 digits price hikes that now put you on par with pro studio equipment.
They put something much less than haptics phone feedback and sells it like at the price of of Mac Studio M2 Ultra will full cores, ram and storage!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back