eXStata DIY Electrostatic Amp for Intermediate DIYers
Mar 18, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #2,746 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a low probability, but might as well eliminate it.

I recall it buzzing when uncased, while the toroid was a decent distance from the PSU. I really doubt this is it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried firing up in the dark to see if you can see any arcing? You may need to look at both top and bottom of the board.

I can certainly try it.

Mar 18, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #2,747 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by WilCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys! You are confirming what I hoped/expected.
regular_smile .gif

I really enjoy this amp and its performance with both 404LE and O2 is outstanding.

FTFU.

Grrrrrrrrr - performance should be completely seperated from cost.

Mar 18, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #2,748 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FTFU.

soo true...have noticed that very few people in this hobby have had this revelation in the relatively short period of 7 years I have been doing this. In this hobby meaning DIY audio in general.

All credit goes to the designer.
beerchug.gif

Easily the total cost can exceed 1000$ even for this design based on what kind of casing and boutique parts, if any you opt for.

Mar 18, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #2,749 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
soo true...have noticed that very few people in this hobby have had this revelation in the relatively short period of 7 years I have been doing this. In this hobby meaning DIY audio in general.

All credit goes to the designer.
beerchug.gif

Easily the total cost can exceed 1000$ even for this design based on what kind of casing and boutique parts, if any you opt for.

Totally agree!
L3000.gif
This amp still amazes me more everyday, and I still can't believe the level of performance this amp achieves. Not to mention how easy it is to build! Glad I got in on this one, and hope it will still be offered to others in the future at some point.

Mar 18, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #2,750 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DC has almost no effect on the cans besides lowering their efficiency and in the grand scope of things 15V is nothing. All the Single Power ES amps shipped with a fixed offset of -100VDC or more and some designs have a rather high offset but compensate by increasing the bias voltage. Just look at the DC-coupled sibling of the GES which sits at +200V.

What amp is that?

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #2,751 of 2,970
Quote:

FTFU.

Agreed! I'm listening more to my eXStatA SS than my 007tA or 717 and enjoying every minute of it!

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #2,752 of 2,970
Mar 19, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #2,753 of 2,970
Ahh it was 300V.
redface.gif
Crazy expensive to build though with the high voltage Apex opamps. There is also another Gilmore all tube DC amp but I don't think anybody except the good doctor has built a functional unit yet. Rather cool design with a lot of tubes and needs at least 3 different filament supplies to work correctly. It's been on my to-do list for a while now but I just need to order some 6h30pi's.

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #2,754 of 2,970
Quote:

FTFU.

I'm banking on it being a great amp and certainly a value one, but I think I would want people keep in mind how much was accomplished for so little when giving credit to the designer. This design isn't the end all be all, for more money projected in adding to the circuit I think the design itself could possibly be improved. Its the bang for the buck for me when I judge performance which is how equipment should be judged IMO. I don't think anyone should judge it as being on the low end because it doesn't quite measure up to a BHSE without taking into consideration that the BHSE costs 10x as much.

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #2,755 of 2,970
You know, I happen to have several 6h30pi laying around (yanked the wretched EH gold pins out of the Ayon for some 1985 mil marked Reflektors), but dayum, even the mid 80s are $100, and I found some 1978 for $150 each. Were one of my Russian friends would do some buying when they visit the homeland.

Certainly more builds are close to coming online?

Oh, I do think it is in the conversation with the BHSE, and ASR did also at the Dallas meet, who owns a BHSE. At the NY meet, a BH judged as a 10 compared to my red board proto as an 8. While we can all disagree over scale, and if/how much better final is over proto, price really isn't all that relevant.

I would like to see the comparison with a 350v psu - to wit, if anyone wants to let me buy a set of boards for the express purpose of bumping the psu to 350v, and modding the amp accordingly (if needed), ping me. There is one such effort afoot, albeit at a leisurely pace... :)

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #2,756 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think anyone should judge it as being on the low end because it doesn't quite measure up to a BHSE without taking into consideration that the BHSE costs 10x as much.

These comparisons never work, like Al said it's best to just leave them out of it. If the Exstata was ever built commercially it would cost many multiples of its own part's cost and so on. So compare sonics all you want, but leave the dollars out as it only muddies the water. That's my 2¢ anyway.

Oh, and I thought the hybrid Exstata I heard in Boston sounded very nice.

Mar 19, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #2,757 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These comparisons never work, like Al said it's best to just leave them out of it. If the Exstata was ever built commercially it would cost many multiples of its own part's cost and so on. So compare sonics all you want, but leave the dollars out as it only muddies the water. That's my 2¢ anyway.

Oh, and I thought the hybrid Exstata I heard in Boston sounded very nice.

Oh, I think I get what your saying now, comparing sonics and leaving price out would be best.
redface.gif
So easier said then done.

Mar 19, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #2,758 of 2,970
With the BH and T2 designs so much money is spent on utter overkill that is is hard to compare on price alone. There are certainly cheaper ways to make the same designs both in terms of parts used and the sheer number of parts but we like overkill.
tongue.gif
Even the Vulcan has a lot of parts for a simpler version...

In terms of price/performance I do think the ESX is the hardest to beat though as it can be built for peanuts and sounds damn close to the modern CCS filled monsters. With 7f7's/EL34's it sounds very clean and controlled even if I running it a tad out of spec. All point-to-point though but pretty easy to do. I also did one on a perfboard (mini ESX) which was even easier to to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1
You know, I happen to have several 6h30pi laying around (yanked the wretched EH gold pins out of the Ayon for some 1985 mil marked Reflektors), but dayum, even the mid 80s are $100, and I found some 1978 for $150 each. Were one of my Russian friends would do some buying when they visit the homeland.

Crazy prices indeed. Might be better to just drop some ECC99's into that KG design...

Mar 19, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #2,759 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the BH and T2 designs so much money is spent on utter overkill that is is hard to compare on price alone. There are certainly cheaper ways to make the same designs both in terms of parts used and the sheer number of parts but we like overkill.
tongue.gif
Even the Vulcan has a lot of parts for a simpler version...

overkill doesn't necessarily translate into sonic goodness..

The true genius is in making it sound great while keeping it simple..the great doctor Cavalli manages this in each of his designs.

This is the reason his works translate into actual working amps.

Can we get back to the builds and more impressions on the exstata now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back