Extracting Room Impulse Response from Virtualization Plugins
Nov 17, 2023 at 10:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

launder700

New Head-Fier
Is it possible to extract the impulse response of a virtualization plugin, without it's HRTF effect, and then have that ambience to use with my own SOFA? For instance: Waves NX has it's own HRTF, I wish it was possible to extract only the ambience to use with my own HRTF. What tools should I use to do this, if possible?

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #2 of 3
The ambience, is reverb, so I'd look into that to create something serving you better. Fairly simple apps for reverb have no concept of binaural or HRTF anything.
The most basic binaural option starts with something I've seen called "true stereo", where there is some mix into the other ear with some delay, but what I tried didn't allow changing the values applied.
And on the other end of the app spectrum, you can have just about anything, where you configure your room in various ways, place your speakers and those tend to have just about all the outputs possible, including binaural with some imported HRTF content you provide. The only non-free, non-lame app I've seen(I haven't seen many, so there's hope still) was Spat Revolution where you can totally import your sofa file, but the app is like 60$ a month or something.:crying_cat_face:

Nov 18, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #3 of 3
What tools should I use to do this, if possible?
Some convolution reverb plugins allow you to create your own IRs. The only potential issue is the format of those IRs and importing them into your HRTF/virtualisation plugin. I can’t specifically recommend one though, the one I have is a commercial convolution reverb plugin which would do the job but is quite costly due to a bunch of features you wouldn’t require.

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back