Fake ATH-ESW-9? (56K warning!)
Feb 14, 2009 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 330

chi2

500+ Head-Fier
Hello fellow head-fiers!

I remember some discussions here about possible fake ESW-9s. While there certainly are many ES-7 knock-offs, there was some doubt that it economically makes sense to build fake ESW-9s due to the wooden bowls. I thought that, too, until I purchased on a small Swiss internet auction platform a pair of ATH-ESW-9. They were advertised as „new“ and „original“ and the pictures looked good. I got them for CHF 76 (=USD 65) which of course is too good to be true :). (BTW I wasn’t that naive and have stipulated the right to return these within a week.) They didn’t come in a box and there were no documents at all. This and some of the features of the phones make me pretty sure that these are fakes. While the look and build quality of some parts (eg the headband and the cushions) is pretty good, other parts look and feel quite cheap. The wood is rather reddish and while the grain isn’t too bad, the quality of the woodwork leaves to be desired. The worst thing is the cable, which, with its rubbery and sticky feel, only can be fake.

Regarding the sound of these: As I haven't heard any legit ESW-9 up to now it’s not that easy for me to determine if they could be original. My pair sounds *extremely* bass-heavy and dark. The mids and highs are very recessed. There is some extension up to about 15kHz but at minus 15dB or so. While the bass is definitely too strong, it is, to my surprise, not completely without control. However, when looking at the frequency chart of Headroom I’d say: No way that these sound like that.

graphCompare.php

Now, my question to the ESW-9 owners among you is: Could you please compare the pictures I took to your phones and confirm if these are in fact fakes.

fakeesw91di2.jpg

fakeesw92np8.jpg

fakeesw93bo3.jpg

fakeesw94rw5.jpg

fakeesw95lq9.jpg

fakeesw96so5.jpg

fakeesw97ui9.jpg

fakeesw98mk1.jpg

fakeesw99sw4.jpg

fakeesw910no3.jpg

Thanks for your comments!
chi2/Urs

Feb 14, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 330
-silver plug
-silver writing
-light brown at top of headband

I can't say for sure because I don't own them, but they look fake to me.

Feb 14, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #4 of 330
Hmm...I'm looking at my 9's and the wooden cup are not as separated as yours. What I mean is that, I do not have a gap between the cups and the circular frame. Also on the frame surrounding the cups a small bump sticks out right where the cable goes into the cup. The wood grain and colour on the cups seem a bit off but that can be due to your camera. Sorry don't have pics to show you, but others may chime in regarding my observations.

edit: I just popped off the pad and the driver looks a bit different than yours. I don't see any copper colour but more of a bluish surrounding the coil.

Feb 14, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheemo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm...I'm looking at my 9's and the wooden cup are not as separated as yours. What I mean is that, I do not have a gap between the cups and the circular frame. Also on the frame surrounding the cups a small bump sticks out right where the cable goes into the cup...

No bump where the cable goes in with mine, but there are two such small bumps in the frame at the (bracket-frame-) joints. Is the frame on your ATs made of plastic, too, or is it metal?

Thanks,
chi2

Feb 14, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #8 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by chi2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif
Wow. Wouldn't have expected that! Does the cable on your ESW9 feel and *behave* (move around) like a rubber band, too??

Both the cables on my ESW9 and ESW10 look like rubber.

Feb 14, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #9 of 330
wood isnt that pink. engrave letter are unclear and badly engraved. silver plug. those are the most obvious

Feb 15, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #11 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by chi2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No bump where the cable goes in with mine, but there are two such small bumps in the frame at the (bracket-frame-) joints. Is the frame on your ATs made of plastic, too, or is it metal?

Thanks,
chi2

The frame is made of plastic. The bumps are similar to the bracket-frame joints just a bit smaller and less pronounced. If you look at Lil Knights' pictures, you can see them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back