Fasting
May 26, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
If you think you will lose weight by fasting - think again.

What you will lose is muscle mass and not the fat. The fat will be stored because the body anticipates a long spell without sufficient nutrition.

I come from India...land of fasting
rolleyes.gif
and I dont recommend it at all. If you want to get spiritual - go hit some Ganja and listen to Pink Floyd
wink.gif

rolleyes.gif

and BTW: drugs will open the door, but only sobriety will let you enter.

May 26, 2005 at 11:39 PM Post #17 of 40
Here's something that a coworker successfully uses every once in a while:

http://www.therawfoodsite.com/mastercleanse.htm

It's called a lemonade diet.

---

It's not fasting, but I had a friend that tried an all-you-can-eat apples, apples only, diet when he was younger. He lost a ton of weight in just a week or two, but of course it all came back afterwards. I would not recommend this one. Just something of interest.

May 26, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
I come from India...land of fasting
rolleyes.gif
and I dont recommend it at all. If you want to get spiritual - go hit some Ganja and listen to Pink Floyd
wink.gif

Ganja leads to munchies. Munchies lead to donuts. A path to the dark side donuts are.
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2005 at 12:11 AM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
also i am looking to lose weight and exersize is not doing much. my medication SEVERELY altered my metabolism and it's killing me with weight gain. i've gained 70 pounds. granted i've been eating like s__t, but that's the meds too. carb cravings. but i'm beginning to have control over my carb cravings, and now i want control over my body too. i want to find what amount of calories i can eat per day and not gain any weight, once i get back down to 130. i love being skinny, being a fatty causes so many negatives in all aspects of my life. if i skip just one meal i feel instantly better, ignoring the minor jaw-clenching and nervous energy reaction from my central nervous system
wink.gif
but that's common for hypoglycemics, even if i eat well. just happens sometimes. so i learn to ignore it.

Fasting isn't going to cure anything. Carbs make me feel like crap too so i've been changing my diet around and adding more fruit and veggies into the equation. I also snack on an atkins bar a day because hell, it actually tastes good and has some vitamins to boot (site: http://www.allstarhealth.com/de_p/2277.htm).

For drinks, i buy a sugar-free fruit juice (ok, it has 2g of sugar, it uses aspartame). So its basically a diet juice drink, claims to have tons of vitamins. Here's the site: http://www.vita-j.com/

I do know what it feels like to pack on weight, when i started working again back in early 2003 i was a hefty 188lbs and i felt like a bloated monster. I decided to diet by cutting out all greasy food and even junk food (including soda). I dropped to 159lbs and i felt great, like my nimble old 17 year old self. My cholesterol also took a tumble from 250 to 169! I did gain back about 12 lbs a few months later as i changed my diet around again and i've stayed at a steady 171lbs. You just need to find the right kind of diet for your body, i think carbs are making you miserable, so start cutting back on them and eat healthier. I can't imagine i would ever say this, but i love steamed veggies, especially broccoli...i'm actually craving it as i write this!

Best of luck!

May 27, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #20 of 40
My dad fasted for 23 days a couple years ago. Spiritually it was great, but he lost some muscle mass. No other lasting negative effects noted. I've only fasted for two or three days (it was a while ago, can't remember), but I was amazed at the mental focus I had during that time. The hunger only lasts for the first day or so.

G

May 27, 2005 at 12:39 AM Post #21 of 40
Damn, i cheated. i broke down today and ate a big turkey sandwhich, then some chips and salsa.
frown.gif

Okay... sooo. screw the fasting thing, i'll try to just cut down my intake first instead of going from hero to zero, as far as caloric intake. sooo:

Green tea and juice, whole grains, nuts, lots of water, tuna.

i can even make a daily eating schedule!

morning: oatmeal & tea
lunch: tuna & juice
dinner: nuts and juice

sounds like a plan.
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2005 at 1:01 AM Post #22 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
Damn, i cheated. i broke down today and ate a big turkey sandwhich, then some chips and salsa.
frown.gif

Okay... sooo. screw the fasting thing, i'll try to just cut down my intake first instead of going from hero to zero, as far as caloric intake. sooo:

Green tea and juice, whole grains, nuts, lots of water, tuna.

i can even make a daily eating schedule!

morning: oatmeal & tea
lunch: tuna & juice
dinner: nuts and juice

sounds like a plan.
biggrin.gif

Don't eat the same lunch and dinner, you'll go nuts and get bored of it and go back to the same habits. Why not visit a nutritionist to obtain information, answers to your questions from an expert and good planning for eating right? It can't hurt.

May 27, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
Don't eat the same lunch and dinner, you'll go nuts and get bored of it and go back to the same habits. Why not visit a nutritionist to obtain information, answers to your questions from an expert and good planning for eating right? It can't hurt.

what other choice is there? it's either eat similar things all the time, or don't eat.

tongue.gif

man i am already feeling the damage done from my cravings. that turkey made me depressed
frown.gif

May 27, 2005 at 2:02 AM Post #24 of 40
I started with an atkins diet and it worked very well for me. I lost 20 pounds in a month and I still haven't gained any back.

After awhile though, I couldn't stop losing weight, so I switched up my diet.

What I found works great for me is the "No Processed Food" diet.

Basically, I stay away from all processed sugars and flour. As long as I get a little exercise every day, I find I can eat as much as I want and I never gain any weight. I really don't feel like I am dieting persay, more that I just don't eat garbage that makes me feel like crap.

Usually I eat alot of vegetables, fruits, lean meats, cheese, whole grains, basically all natural food..

unless it is one of those days that I am following gsferrari's spiritual advice, then all bets are off.

May 27, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #26 of 40
I gathered all this information from an indian book of natural cures and tips from the dietician. A decent sized serving of cabbage yields enough energy as 240 calories of wheat bread. So if you have it for breakfast, you won't feel weak the whole day. The 1/2 grapefruit is always good, it burns fat. The 1tsp of honey w/ hot water will cause your fats to start moving and just not sit there. Fish may get a little expensive but is always the best so you don't lose muscle while you are in the process of dieting.

My diet plan:

Breakfast: Cabbage Salad, 1/2 Grapefruit, 1tsp honey w/ hot water

Middle: 1tsp Honey w/ hot water

Lunch: Fresh Sushi (Ahi Tuna or Salmon) without Rice, 1tsp honey w/ hot water

Dinner: Baked tuna or salmon with lots of herbs, they add lots of flavor but don't add a lot of calories

------------------------------------------------------------------

Beverages: Water with lemon

May 27, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX
I gathered all this information from an indian book of natural cures and tips from the dietician. A decent sized serving of cabbage yields enough energy as 240 calories of wheat bread. So if you have it for breakfast, you won't feel weak the whole day. The 1/2 grapefruit is always good, it burns fat. The 1tsp of honey w/ hot water will cause your fats to start moving and just not sit there. Fish may get a little expensive but is always the best so you don't lose muscle while you are in the process of dieting.

My diet plan:

Dinner: Baked tuna or salmon with lots of herbs, they add lots of flavor but don't add a lot of calories

Are you allowed to add some of that lemon to the hotwater/honey too? Some sweet warm lemonade sounds good to me
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX

My diet plan:

sounds like the lemonade diet above, with a twist. hehe.

cabbage and grapefruit, hmm. thanks for the tip, i had no idea grapefruit helped burn fat
eek.gif
confused.gif

May 27, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #30 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
Are you allowed to add some of that lemon to the hotwater/honey too? Some sweet warm lemonade sounds good to me
biggrin.gif

tongue.gif
Why not?

As for the miracle flavoring agent, a little vinegar/lemon or some kind of acid works pretty well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back