Favorite steak
Jun 20, 2020 at 11:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

IEMusic

Headphoneus Supremus
What’s your favorite steak/s? Favorite cut, type, steakhouse, grilling method, etc?

Sorry, vegetarians and vegans, please just skip this thread.

(I wish these were my pics.)
888616F7-4B2F-4106-94D6-F1ED30074F3A.jpeg
7A7F31FB-E493-49A4-80C3-1573D87A7C1A.jpeg
BA4DB0A1-AB73-4772-912D-7AFC8C5E295E.jpeg

Jun 20, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #2 of 14
I don’t know any information but the best steak I’ve ever had was a yakiniku restaurant in Tokyo. I’ve tried to find beef of the same quality in the U.S.A but so far no luck. So I just savor the memory for now,

Jun 20, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #3 of 14
I don’t know any information but the best steak I’ve ever had was a yakiniku restaurant in Tokyo. I’ve tried to find beef of the same quality in the U.S.A but so far no luck. So I just savor the memory for now,
Unfortunately, I’ve not had the privilege of eating at a steakhouse in Japan. The best of the best I’m sure.

Jun 20, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #4 of 14
Yes in my opinion it is. I was blown away and shocked how good it was. If you go, go to the Yakiniku places because it is cooked on a charcoal grill

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #5 of 14
My favorite cut is filet mignon.
I actually like using an outdoor griddle a lot for cooking steaks, b/c it’s easy to get a very even sear, with maximum surface area.
If ever in the Tampa Bay area, my favorite steakhouse is Bern’s Steakhouse. It’s especially good if you’re a wine connoisseur.

Jun 20, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #6 of 14
The filet is a very good cut. Strangely many steak connoisseurs don’t think highly of the filet and view it as overrated but I think it’s a great cut and a unique texture.

Jun 21, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #7 of 14
I have not tried real Japanese kobe steaks made properly, and that's one thing I want to try.

I don't like too much fat in meat, and I get very weezy from the oil from fats from the well marbled steaks if I eat too much. I prefer lean, but I understand the meat doesn't melt in mouth with so much fat.

This is why I luv American southern BBQ. Texas style I really do like. I luv the taste of custom made sausages and the way slow cooked meat is so tender and easy to eat with so much flavor.

Perhaps, not all fat are the same? Kobe beef fat different?

Jun 21, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #8 of 14
I like to have New York strip every now and then when I have cravings. The fat in some better cuts turns me off slightly. Ribeye adds fat and prefer strip cut.

Easiest way to cook steak is to reverse sear. Get a thermometer and get the internal temp up to 120 and then sear the surfaces, and you'd get good internal pink, and get consistant results.

Garlic, butter, and rosemary is necessary to subdue that nasty meat smell. This is why I like smoked meat.

Jun 21, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #9 of 14
I have not tried real Japanese kobe steaks made properly, and that's one thing I want to try.

I don't like too much fat in meat, and I get very weezy from the oil from fats from the well marbled steaks if I eat too much. I prefer lean, but I understand the meat doesn't melt in mouth with so much fat.

This is why I luv American southern BBQ. Texas style I really do like. I luv the taste of custom made sausages and the way slow cooked meat is so tender and easy to eat with so much flavor.

Perhaps, not all fat are the same? Kobe beef fat different?

Fat is fat, but fat is also flavor. The different grades of beef are what they are because of the intramuscular fat (marbling). Kobe beef and Wagyu beef have a ton of intramuscular fat, which is very difficult to produce, thus it’s very expensive. When you grill it, the intramuscular fat melts away, flavoring the meat, and leaving it extremely tender. It’s very rich tasting. In general, if you don’t tolerate much fat, then this type of beef isn’t for you (it’s like butter), but one also doesn’t usually eat a bunch of it. You generally don’t prepare a 12oz steak with Kobe beef. You usually have small, thin cuts, that are seared very briefly over extremely high heat. It’s a delicacy.

Does this appear appetizing to you? This is extremely coveted beef.
1FA4FA65-81F8-4AFF-AEBD-9B2B0E25408C.png

Jun 21, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #10 of 14
I like to have New York strip every now and then when I have cravings. The fat in some better cuts turns me off slightly. Ribeye adds fat and prefer strip cut.

Easiest way to cook steak is to reverse sear. Get a thermometer and get the internal temp up to 120 and then sear the surfaces, and you'd get good internal pink, and get consistant results.

Garlic, butter, and rosemary is necessary to subdue that nasty meat smell. This is why I like smoked meat.
I understand what you mean about the fats though. That‘s a big reason why I like filet mignon so much. It‘s very tender beef, but also very lean. A reverse seared filet is probably what both you and I would like best. Well, that or an 18hr smoked beef brisket. Making a very tough piece of meat extremely tender.

Jun 21, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #11 of 14
Fat is fat, but fat is also flavor. The different grades of beef are what they are because of the intramuscular fat (marbling). Kobe beef and Wagyu beef have a ton of intramuscular fat, which is very difficult to produce, thus it’s very expensive. When you grill it, the intramuscular fat melts away, flavoring the meat, and leaving it extremely tender. It’s very rich tasting. In general, if you don’t tolerate much fat, then this type of beef isn’t for you (it’s like butter), but one also doesn’t usually eat a bunch of it. You generally don’t prepare a 12oz steak with Kobe beef. You usually have small, thin cuts, that are seared very briefly over extremely high heat. It’s a delicacy.

Does this appear appetizing to you? This is extremely coveted beef.
That looks good, but need to taste thr properly cooked to make the right judgement. I've seem images of Kobe beef that look like a slab of lard. Kinda gross.

Jun 21, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #12 of 14
That looks good, but need to taste thr properly cooked to make the right judgement. I've seem images of Kobe beef that look like a slab of lard. Kinda gross.
A lot of them really do look like that. That’s why I could only eat very small cuts of it. Kinda like fried butter.

Jun 21, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #13 of 14
I understand what you mean about the fats though. That‘s a big reason why I like filet mignon so much. It‘s very tender beef, but also very lean. A reverse seared filet is probably what both you and I would like best. Well, that or an 18hr smoked beef brisket. Making a very tough piece of meat extremely tender.
I haven't tried filet mignon much. I'll try more and see if it's my fav cut.

I also like how Chines beef is made tender and I have no idea how they do it.

Jun 21, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #14 of 14
This is cooked Kobe.
0F435AF8-F873-4689-BE27-CB848D8DF711.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back