Feliks Audio Echo (new budget OTL amp)
Mar 18, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #196 of 542
Received my Echo a couple of days ago (with stock tubes), which I purchased from @U2Edge (who, by the way, is a great guy!).

I have it connected to a Furman power conditioner via a Wireworld Aurora power cord, and it is very quiet indeed.

The Echo’s source is a Schiit Gungnir MB with a Harmonic Tech Truth-Link, a fairly ordinary but high-quality copper interconnect (Ohno cast, so very smooth yet detailed-sounding).

I’ve tried the Echo with jazz, rock, pop, and acoustic guitar music so far, and am really impressed. I had no idea tubes could provide such slam and textured bass! The “elasticity” of drums- literally hearing more texture and the drum skins rebounding- was not audible via my Violectric V200 or my prior solid state amp, the SPL Auditor. Daaaaaang. This is VERY noticeable with LCD-XCs, which excel at bass detail and clarity

The highs are softer and more recessed, which was my hope as I am a bit treble-averse.

Mids are great, but not miles ahead of the V200. They have a bit more body and delicacy, however. Overall, the Echo + LCD-XCs are a great pairing for jazz/folk/acoustic music (I have not tried large-scale orchestral music yet).

This is the end game amp for me, and barring any oddities in the next couple of days, my V200 will be in the classifieds soon. It’s a phenomenal amp, but the Echo is just right for my ears.

Apr 1, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #199 of 542
I'm thinking about getting one of these, but the amp dimensions aren't listed, and I'm not quite sure it will fit in with my current desk space. anyone able to measure how deep this amp is?

I'm also curious about how it pairs with sensitive headphones (most sensitive is Grado Hemp), as my current tube amp, ZDT Jr., has an output transformer that audibly hums, and there's some noise from the tubes. I'd be curious how people in this thread feel about pairings like this, just in terms of whether there's audible noise or some other noticeable issue here.

Apr 1, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #200 of 542
I'm thinking about getting one of these, but the amp dimensions aren't listed, and I'm not quite sure it will fit in with my current desk space. anyone able to measure how deep this amp is?
I'm also curious about how it pairs with sensitive headphones (most sensitive is Grado Hemp), as my current tube amp, ZDT Jr., has an output transformer that audibly hums, and there's some noise from the tubes. I'd be curious how people in this thread feel about pairings like this, just in terms of whether there's audible noise or some other noticeable issue here.
Are you looking for information on the Echo v1 or the new Echo v2? I have the former and can share measurements if that is helpful.

With regards to noise, I use my Echo with LCD-XCs, which are both sensitive (20 Ohms) and have a low noise floor- so I would hear any notable hum. I have heard nothing yet, and have spent about 6+ hours listening with a number of different genres and volume settings. There is also no audible hum externally from the transformer or otherwise. In my experience, the Echo is as quiet as any solid state headphone amp I’ve owned.

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #201 of 542
Since I'd be buying new, I was referencing the echo mkII, but I can't imagine that it would change much. While this is OTL, so no transformer hum, I suppose I was just hoping to get some confirmation on what the noise levels are like, and also make sure it is a reasonable size (depth being the main concern). So it seems you've answered the noise floor question. And I just heard back about a job offer for which I'll have to move, and I accepted! Maybe space won't be a constraint after all. Thanks for your response :beerchug:

Apr 2, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #202 of 542

I can check for you when I get it today or tomorrow...

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Apr 2, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #203 of 542
Since I'd be buying new, I was referencing the echo mkII, but I can't imagine that it would change much. While this is OTL, so no transformer hum, I suppose I was just hoping to get some confirmation on what the noise levels are like, and also make sure it is a reasonable size (depth being the main concern). So it seems you've answered the noise floor question. And I just heard back about a job offer for which I'll have to move, and I accepted! Maybe space won't be a constraint after all. Thanks for your response :beerchug:
Congratulations with the new job! I hope your move goes smoothly and that amp space is not a problem. 😄

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #204 of 542

You can go to Feliks website and download the manual. It has the physical dimensions listed.

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #206 of 542
You can go to Feliks website and download the manual. It has the physical dimensions listed.
Actually for this product the dimensions are not listed, and if I'm not mistaken the echo II is the only product that does not have the manual downloadable from their page. I did look and try to find this info, and it doesn't seem to be available. I am not one of those people who asks without looking :)

Apr 2, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #207 of 542
From the manual
Echo dimension manual.PNG

Apr 2, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #208 of 542

Users who are viewing this thread

Back