Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Dec 15, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #4,096 of 11,833
  Oh, sorry, I forgot your Elise 'SE' hadn't arrived yet. Well you may just have to help the missus with the Christmas shopping as I did today and now my back is aching again.

EDIT: If the EL11 works well maybe I should ask Mrs X if she can make a dual adapter-but better wait and see what the single tube sounds like first.

Please don't mention "Christmas Shopping"...the walls have ears...AND eyes lol!!
wink_face.gif

And yeah, best to see whether the EL11 is in fact any different to the EL3N...but I must admit, the "German Steel" base does look much more user- friendly LOL!
wink_face.gif
...and those pins are built like tanks!
eek.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
. Can't wait to hear your impressions...
beerchug.gif

Dec 15, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #4,097 of 11,833

Please don't mention "Christmas Shopping"...the walls have ears...AND eyes lol!!
wink_face.gif

And yeah, best to see whether the EL11 is in fact any different to the EL3N...but I must admit, the "German Steel" base does look much more user- friendly LOL!
wink_face.gif
...and those pins are built like tanks!
eek.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
. Can't wait to hear your impressions...
beerchug.gif

I'll try and have a good listen tomorrow and Saturday. We have a couple coming for dinner Saturday night, which is likely to be a boozy affair, so hopefully I'll be ready to post before 7.30 pm. 

What I can say already is the adapter is very easy to use, so much so it's possible to tube roll without taking the adapter out of Elise. The tube just slips in and out like a well oiled piston.

Sound wise- they work, but I've literally only listened for a few moments or so to check the tubes were okay. 

Dec 15, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #4,098 of 11,833

I'll try and have a good listen tomorrow and Saturday. We have a couple coming for dinner Saturday night, which is likely to be a boozy affair, so hopefully I'll be ready to post before 7.30 pm. 

What I can say already is the adapter is very easy to use, so much so it's possible to tube roll without taking the adapter out of Elise. The tube just slips in and out like a well oiled piston.

Sound wise- they work, but I've literally only listened for a few moments or so to check the tubes were okay. 

And don't forget those photos, lol!
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #4,101 of 11,833
If EL11 has twice the gain of EL3N, why would it need a "double adapter" to work as a power tube for Elise?
Or am I missing something?

The "six pack" sound, without the ungainly looking dual adapters would be nice.

I'm still enjoying Elise vicariously through you guys - and almost daily can see the $ I'm saving not "having" to try this tube with that adapter...
I should start banking all that $$$ ready for Elise SE to be offered to the public. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #4,102 of 11,833
  If EL11 has twice the gain of EL3N, why would it need a "double adapter" to work as a power tube for Elise?
Or am I missing something?

The "six pack" sound, without the ungainly looking dual adapters would be nice.

I'm still enjoying Elise vicariously through you guys - and almost daily can see the $ I'm saving not "having" to try this tube with that adapter...
I should start banking all that $$$ ready for Elise SE to be offered to the public. 
biggrin.gif

Absolutely correct-but EL11 has a similar gain to EL3N and I was speculating the dual power adapter for the EL11, not EL12, which is the higher gain tube.

Dec 15, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #4,103 of 11,833
Hi pct,

Same feeling here - finally, finally got the ultimate EL3N/GEC6AS7 set-up and .........boom!  Back to the drawing board.......

But I am playing a game called Follow John (or Colin). Have to see how things pan out, or rather, mesh out lol.......

Dec 15, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #4,104 of 11,833
  Hi pct,

Same feeling here - finally, finally got the ultimate EL3N/GEC6AS7 set-up and .........boom!  Back to the drawing board.......

But I am playing a game called Follow John (or Colin). Have to see how things pan out, or rather, mesh out lol.......

Mordy:  Are we crazy OR are we crazy??? Yes. We are crazy!!!!
gs1000.gif

Speaking of crazy, my all time favorite recording artist (RIP)

Dec 15, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #4,105 of 11,833
Tried to find out the amplification factor of the EL12 tube but couldn't from the spec sheets from Valvo, Telefunken and RFT, but my German is not the best. (What is Klirrfaktor?)

In any case, these tubes draw 1.2A so using them as drivers would be a problem with 2.5A power tubes  (total 7.4A  which is above the recommended total of 6.8A)

Used as dual power tubes would not be a problem. If you have a dual octal adapter, two individual EL12 adapters will fit easily on them in case a dual EL12 adapter isn't available.

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #4,106 of 11,833
Tried to find out the amplification factor of the EL12 tube but couldn't from the spec sheets from Valvo, Telefunken and RFT, but my German is not the best. (What is Klirrfaktor?)

Finding data as a triode is a problem.

Klirrfaktor is harmonic distortion. The interesting value should be the transconductance, Steilheit.

My understanding is limited, so I won't even try to explain.

Google away and you should find more about gain and transconductance.

Dec 16, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #4,107 of 11,833
Hi Oskari,

Thanks for the Steilheit!

The Steilheit (amplification factor) of an EL12 tube is 15 . Compare this to 6AS7/6080 - 2, and 5998 - 5. 

The EL11 draws 0.9A and has an amplification factor of 9

The amplification factor of a 6SN7 is 20.

Don't know how this translates sound wise in the Elise. 

https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/082/e/EL12.pdf

Was even able to find a spec sheet for the EL3N - looks like the amplification factor (S) is 9.

https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/030/e/EL3N.pdf

Thanks for your help

PS: Assuming the above tubes to be pentodes, how do the values correspond when used in triode mode? (2359glenn?)

Dec 16, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #4,109 of 11,833
  Hi pct,

Haha, m...I do love to keep you guys on your toes lol!!
evil_smiley.gif
wink_face.gif

Mordy:  Are we crazy OR are we crazy??? Yes. We are crazy!!!!
gs1000.gif

Speaking of crazy, my all time favorite recording artist (RIP)

Yo, pct...we are ALL crazy here - an essential requirement in this, our wonderful community!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back