First change: PSVane CV181

IMG_8810 -1bd.jpg

second one: TUNG-SOL

IMG_8813 - 1 bd.jpg

and the next one: Ken Rad VT-231

IMG_8841 bd.jpg

Now I could play a lot :D

May 19, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #13,847 of 13,856
I found a matched pair of GE 6AS7GA for 100€ and one matched pair of GEC 6AS7G for 350€. Unfortunately I don't know how they test, but they are supposedly both unused. For now I would match both them with the stock driver tubes (might get some NOS ones though if I find something nice).

Any thoughts on which ones to get? Especially also because of the prices, I don't really know if 100€ and 350€ is a lot or not.

May 19, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #13,848 of 13,856
I found a matched pair of GE 6AS7GA for 100€ and one matched pair of GEC 6AS7G for 350€. Unfortunately I don't know how they test, but they are supposedly both unused. For now I would match both them with the stock driver tubes (might get some NOS ones though if I find something nice).

Any thoughts on which ones to get? Especially also because of the prices, I don't really know if 100€ and 350€ is a lot or not.
The GE 6AS7GA is overpriced. You shouldn’t pay more than $25 + shipping for a NOS pair. Used tubes you can get for $10 each + shipping.

May 20, 2024 at 2:54 AM Post #13,849 of 13,856
Hi guys, I'm currently using a goldenwave prelude as a dac/amp to power my hd800s, but kinda wanna get a tube amp to upgrade the system. Feliks is one of the options I've had my eye on for a while, and I'd like to hear some opinions from your guys. How do the Euforia, Elise, and even the Envy sound, what are their characteristics? Btw I'm also wanna get a new pair of headphone probably a planar like abyss diana mr or Meze emprean 2, how do Feliks amps perform on planar headphones? :beerchug:

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 2:55 AM Post #13,850 of 13,856
The GE 6AS7GA is overpriced. You shouldn’t pay more than $25 + shipping for a NOS pair. Used tubes you can get for $10 each + shipping.
Thanks, @mordy !

May 20, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #13,852 of 13,856
Hi guys, I'm currently using a goldenwave prelude as a dac/amp to power my hd800s, but kinda wanna get a tube amp to upgrade the system. Feliks is one of the options I've had my eye on for a while, and I'd like to hear some opinions from your guys. How do the Euforia, Elise, and even the Envy sound, what are their characteristics? Btw I'm also wanna get a new pair of headphone probably a planar like abyss diana mr or Meze emprean 2, how do Feliks amps perform on planar headphones? :beerchug:
To my ears, this combination fits perfectly. You get the typical tube sound with the Elise and this musical sound is overall not a bad thing for the HD 800s.

Somewhat surprisingly, my Arya Stealth also work very harmoniously with it. The Elise takes away some of the sharpness / harshness of the Arya. The treble feels al lot smother compared to a solid state amp

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #13,853 of 13,856
I've had the Elise and the Euforia in the past. I'm currently using a DIY Aegis that was just released commercially through ZMF. You've probably read some of this before but the Elise has a more classic tube sound and is better for tube rolling. I found it big and meaty. I've seen it said before that if you want a tube amp that sounds like solid state, get a Euforia. This is KINDA true. It is very even throughout the frequency range and provides more detail than the Elise. It's very clean but still has that tube "realism". I really enjoyed both amps in their own way. If I had to choose, I'd take the Euforia but I did miss some aspects of the Elise and could see an argument for having both. I used them primarily with ZMF Atriums. For a short time, I still had HFM HE1000v2 when I had the Elise. It certainly warmed up that can and I enjoyed it. But I think if I spent a lot more time with it and different genres I'n guessing I would have found it sounded really good on some stuff and "off" on other stuff. I think planars with either of these is likely going to be dependent on the planar and could be hit or miss depending on what you are listening to. Others may have more experience.

I certainly recommend either of these amps but if you are serious about adding planars and if in is in your budget, I'd recommend checking out the ZMF Aegis. It sounds freakin' amazing and has an output switch you can adjust for impedance so will work with any headphone including planars and IEMs. Even powerful enough to run the Modhouse Tungsten. If you were so inclined, you can build the DIY for a little over $2k or buy the commercial for $3500 (currently $3300 intro price).
https://www.zmfheadphones.com/aegis-amp

I see you are in Seattle. If you are ever down near Salem, OR, reach out. You are welcome to bring your cans and listen to my Aegis.

May 20, 2024 at 10:50 PM Post #13,854 of 13,856
To my ears, this combination fits perfectly. You get the typical tube sound with the Elise and this musical sound is overall not a bad thing for the HD 800s.

Somewhat surprisingly, my Arya Stealth also work very harmoniously with it. The Elise takes away some of the sharpness / harshness of the Arya. The treble feels al lot smother compared to a solid state amp
Yeah, I did a lot reaserch on hd800s pairing and Elise came up multiple times, must be a really good combination. As for Arya, I read on the Feliks site, it emphasizes that Euforia can drive planars but there's no similar description on the Elise page. So yeah I think it's great that Elise could also drive some not so demending planars like Arya in practice

May 20, 2024 at 11:31 PM Post #13,855 of 13,856
I've had the Elise and the Euforia in the past. I'm currently using a DIY Aegis that was just released commercially through ZMF. You've probably read some of this before but the Elise has a more classic tube sound and is better for tube rolling. I found it big and meaty. I've seen it said before that if you want a tube amp that sounds like solid state, get a Euforia. This is KINDA true. It is very even throughout the frequency range and provides more detail than the Elise. It's very clean but still has that tube "realism". I really enjoyed both amps in their own way. If I had to choose, I'd take the Euforia but I did miss some aspects of the Elise and could see an argument for having both. I used them primarily with ZMF Atriums. For a short time, I still had HFM HE1000v2 when I had the Elise. It certainly warmed up that can and I enjoyed it. But I think if I spent a lot more time with it and different genres I'n guessing I would have found it sounded really good on some stuff and "off" on other stuff. I think planars with either of these is likely going to be dependent on the planar and could be hit or miss depending on what you are listening to. Others may have more experience.

I certainly recommend either of these amps but if you are serious about adding planars and if in is in your budget, I'd recommend checking out the ZMF Aegis. It sounds freakin' amazing and has an output switch you can adjust for impedance so will work with any headphone including planars and IEMs. Even powerful enough to run the Modhouse Tungsten. If you were so inclined, you can build the DIY for a little over $2k or buy the commercial for $3500 (currently $3300 intro price).
https://www.zmfheadphones.com/aegis-amp

I see you are in Seattle. If you are ever down near Salem, OR, reach out. You are welcome to bring your cans and listen to my Aegis.
Really thoughtful reply, thank you! Kinda interesting to me that Euforia sound like a solid state amp, it remind me of hearing the Allnic HPA-5000XL which is also a tube amp sounds like a solid state amp, with fantastic detail retrieval. But I think I prefer the warm tube sound you're describing with Elise since I've been listening to solid state for a year now and looking for a change of pace

And I just checked out the ZMF Aegis, man what a beauty. I haven't decided exactly which planar I'm gonna get (or not), but I do believe the Aegis is a great choice even just for the hd800s

Definitely would love to meet you up and try the Aegis when I visit OR next time:thumbsup:

May 21, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #13,856 of 13,856
The Elise and Euforia are both great. I would say the Euforia leans toward sounding like SS but certainly not the same. It has a great sound. But the warmth and heft of the Elise is great too. Euforia has better micro detail.

What is great about the Aegis besides working with any can is that it is a tube rolling dream. I can change the sound quite a bit just by rolling tubes. It’s designed to be flexible with tubes (particularly power tubes).

Anyway, keep me in mind if road tripping down here. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back