Feliks Audio ENVY
Apr 25, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #6,647 of 6,854
After having the Melz in exlusively for 3 days i can say that they synergize incredibly well with the MO's. But they are not the best solution for everything. They don't synergize that much with the WE's, at least when i use them with my 1266, which is the main focus for them. The Brimars together with the WE's truly makes the midrange of the 1266 wonderful which is saying a lot. Well, with the 1266 you kinda want to shove as much warmth into them as you can without sacrificing details.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #6,648 of 6,854
Any Envy users using either the Brooklyn Bridge 2 or the Chord Hugo2 (realize they are very different!) with their Envy? Wondering the synergy. Also using with a Susvara in the chain as I want the big soundstage, extreme detail and punchy but not muddy/overdone bass as much as possible.

Can read lots of reviews on DACs but what counts more to me is the synergy among the components as well as what kind of sound each person is aiming to achieve.

Other suggestions on DAC welcome from those using Susvaras and Envy. TIA!

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #6,649 of 6,854
Hi chaps, never tube-rolled before and this is also my first tube amp so please forgive if this is an obvious question, but would a Western Electric 300B or Elrog 300B be a (notable) upgrade over the Full Music 300B I have in my performance Envy? If the consensus is 'yes' then I may well be in the market for a pair in the near future.

Apr 25, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #6,650 of 6,854
Hi chaps, never tube-rolled before and this is also my first tube amp so please forgive if this is an obvious question, but would a Western Electric 300B or Elrog 300B be a (notable) upgrade over the Full Music 300B I have in my performance Envy? If the consensus is 'yes' then I may well be in the market for a pair in the near future.
The consensus is "yes"

Apr 25, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #6,652 of 6,854
Yes

Apr 25, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #6,653 of 6,854
Then I shall start saving my pennies.
Hi Markus, you also need to do some reading and understand the difference in characteristic sound between the Elrogs and WE’s and which one would most meet your preferences. At this moment in time it is also somewhat easier to buy WE300B’s than ER300B’s. Use Thanatos as a resource, he knows what he’s talking about.
Edit; sorry spelt your name wrong.

Apr 25, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #6,654 of 6,854
Yes, as is almost any 300b over the price of the Full Music. Of the several I've owned, the Full Music were the 2nd worst, the worst being the stock PSVanes in the regular edition (which might be a different tube now).

Apr 25, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #6,655 of 6,854
Hi
It depends what your preferences are.

WE are warmer tubes with a wonderful midrange.

The Elrogs are a more technically strong tube with big extension top and bottom. They are still tubey but more solid state. The MOs are extremely impressive technically.

I love them both rather a lot.

Apr 25, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #6,656 of 6,854
Oh by the way as you are relatively near to my area you can always pop over and compare them yourself before buying.

Definately start saving though as the 300b upgrade (whichever way you go) is rather a large step up.

Apr 25, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #6,657 of 6,854
There are a lot of impressions of ER's, MO's (the expensive ER's), TM's (the really expensive ER's), and the WE's in this thread. A few Takatsuki's impressions in between.
In general:
WE's are the same warm tube sound as the Full Musics, but a very big upgrade at everything. Pure honey and that typical tube-sound without sacrificing details.
ER's are more technical and less warm than WE. They shine in separation and other technical aspects, more solid state sounding.
MO's are even more technical and the peak of treble and bass extension, combined with for example Melz1578 the amount of details is mind-blowing. No warmth though.
TM's are more natural sounding MO's that should be very close in terms of technical performance but also with a very liquid and overall better midrange. Extremely expensive.
Takatsuki seems to be a mix between WE's and ER's.

All of the Elrogs and also the Western Electric are blowing the Full Music tubes out of the water and make the Envy a truly top of the line amplifier. And of course you can also roll the 6SN7's.

It's hard to believe this thread has already 444 pages, the Wa23 didn't go nearly as crazy. The Envy is truly a masterpiece.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #6,658 of 6,854
I believe that it might have to do with us EU folks not having as many options as people in US with high varity of high end tube amps. The whole ampsandsound line up alone and many great commission basis DIY amps make some tough competition for Wa23.

When you spend more time with Takatsukis would love to hear more of your impressions with those.

Apr 25, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #6,659 of 6,854
WE's are the same warm tube sound as the Full Musics, but a very big upgrade at everything. Pure honey and that typical tube-sound without sacrificing details.
Thanks for all the replies! I may well be at the mercy of the used market also as to what comes up but initial feeling is that I lean towards a warmer sound than a technical one, and the WE's could be a good option. I will be sure to do some research.

I enjoy the Envy w/Full Music's a lot already and was not expecting such a unanimous response in favour of upgrading them, so its exciting to think where upgraded tubes can take the performance of this amazing amp.

@turbofeet thank you, I may well be in touch once I get my thoughts in order.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #6,660 of 6,854
Thanks for all the replies! I may well be at the mercy of the used market also as to what comes up but initial feeling is that I lean towards a warmer sound than a technical one, and the WE's could be a good option. I will be sure to do some research.

I enjoy the Envy w/Full Music's a lot already and was not expecting such a unanimous response in favour of upgrading them, so its exciting to think where upgraded tubes can take the performance of this amazing amp.

@turbofeet thank you, I may well be in touch once I get my thoughts in order.
I don't want to presume to speak for everyone, but I don't think many here think the stock tubes make the amp sound poor. It's just that WE, elrog or tak are such an improvement. Not inconsiderable cost mind. But I do think it's worth it. My 0.02c.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back