Ferrari of IEM's?
Dec 27, 2012 at 2:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

johntheman123

New Head-Fier
Hi,

So I'm by no means an expert audiophile or anything of the sort but am slowly becoming obsessed..

I live alone, and easily spend 12-14 hours a day listening to music using in ear headphones. I previously owned the Kilpsch S4's which I lost, and ended up buying some UE 900's from the Apple Store.

I think they are incredible - if played at the right volume and using the right track, but there's distortion occasionally, the awkward way you put them on and sometimes a little lacking in bass (I've also previously on Dre Pro's which were uncomfortable but powerful on the Bass Side).

I'm afraid of going custom because of the lack of return policies and am trying to find something incredible and quick (have about a week to return these UE's). I've seem to find so far the Audeo PFE 232's are the best out there that aren't custom and over a grand?

If I spend more than $200, I want headphones that are flawless - that I can blast with no distortion, that sound like over the head headphones, that handle all bass, everything -- life changing haha!

What's the best thing out there for under say, $600?

I live in NYC, walk a lot, move around a lot, and listen to them for hours and hours -- so comfort is a must (UE'S are very very comfortable once they're on!).

-- If you're recommendation breaks easily I'd love to know, but I have every bit of electronics I own insured. 

Thanks so much!

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #2 of 38
I opened this thread thinking you were talking about the Ferrari by Logic3 headphones :p  Ferrari IEMs do exist :p  That said though, I really can't help you much in terms of testing the IEMs.  I don't blast my music, it would make me go deaf in the longrun.  I am going to say this, the majority of distortion you get from an IEM will be coming from the defensive mechanisms that are built into your ears with loud noises in the midrange frequencies.

If you are going to be blasting, I would suggestion trying to go towards a V-shaped IEM like the Westone W3, Phonak PFE232, or Heir Audio 3.Ai.  Find one with low sensitivity and higher impedance.  

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #3 of 38
I'm visiting los angeles currently and was told by a professional musician who does house music/trance (and knows the biggest players in the game) the SE 535's are basically the industry standard...

?

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #4 of 38
Quote:
I'm visiting los angeles currently and was told by a professional musician who does house music/trance (and knows the biggest players in the game) the SE 535's are basically the industry standard...

?

the mid-centric se535 for house and trance?

depends on what music you listen to
theres plenty to search in the iem category but the jvc fxz100/200 are the FOTM right now so check out the thread for them

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #5 of 38
Quote:

?

Maybe 6 years ago.

EDIT: he probably is right that they are the industry standard in a way - but the industry is not likely aware of many of the latest developments.  When the E500s came out they were a revelation, not perfect, but they really were awesome.  The industry (IMO) has moved well beyond them.  And I have likely over 1000 hours of headtime between the 500s/535s.

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #6 of 38
Quote:

?

The thing is, if you listen to Shures at full volume, you'll end up blowing out your ears.  Mid-centric IEMs are probably a poor choice if you plan on blasting them, you learned that with the UE 900.  

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #8 of 38
Quote:
I suppose then, overall, what are the best you can get for under $600 pre-tax if you love natural but powerful sounding stuff (batman soundtrack for example, or trance, rock, everything)

I hate to make such an early recommendation (I have about an hour of head time so far) but the JVC FXZ-200s are well controlled, non-fatiguing at higher volumes.  They don't do the scooped mids thing which might be best for something like trance/electronica/DnB, but they do have a Kelton sub built in so the low end is well represented without seeming to give up much in the way of detail.  Might be a bit rolled off on top, can't quite tell yet.

Check out the thread, as mentioned above they are the new FOTM: http://www.head-fi.org/t/632273/jvc-ha-fxz-100-200

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #9 of 38
The PFE232, Sony EX1000, Westone 4, Heir Audio 4Ai are amazing sounding for the price and they are well above the Shure SE535 in term of sound quality. But under this budget you can buy used highend CIEMs like JH13Pro, Westone ES5, UM Miracle and reshell them(they are another level in term of soundquality compare to universal IEMs).

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #10 of 38
I saw the PF232's and was damn near close to ordering them. They look very similar to the Klipsch S4 in terms of style and fit (which i loved) but I'm wondering if they're so good why they're not mentioned that often on this board compared to other brands?

I am ironic on forums because I'm so open to hearing everything everyone says but also aware there are those who trash well liked brands because they're well liked (counter-intuitive folks who enjoy being rebellious). Thus, I keep an open ear to all recommendations but ultimately can't avoid a brand or model that's constantly mentioned (in either good respects or bad).

Human behavior is a funny thing :)

Here's a better way to ask this: trance music, house music, soundtracks (batman eg), rock, basically everything under the sun except country: $600 pre-tax, what would you buy (non custom & brand new)?

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #11 of 38
Quote:
I suppose then, overall, what are the best you can get for under $600 pre-tax if you love natural but powerful sounding stuff (batman soundtrack for example, or trance, rock, everything)

I stick by my recommendations, you'd have to find a coupon code for the PFE232 though (seen it drop in price down to 450 at times).

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #14 of 38
Quote:
Where can I find the PF232's other than their official site?

i want a place with a return policy lol just in case....

There are different resellers online that are authorized (make sure they are authorized).  I think earphonesolutions was one, Amazon.com LLC sells them too I think.  Each reseller holds their own return policy.  Amazon, for example, has a 30-day return policy.

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #15 of 38
For me the best under $600 is the Earsonics SM3, if you like lush detailed mids and an awesome soundstage than you'd love the SM3.  The price has gone up from places that had them at $300 now around $400 give or take is the best I've seen for a new pair but there's a used set in the for sale forum for $270 I think and they're the V2's so if they're in good condition that's a great price for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back