Ferrum OOR - headphone amplifier with a soul ?
Sep 26, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #46 of 3,858
the only 2 ones I was considering besides Ferrum in the 3k cost range were Benchmark AHB2 due to the hype in Susvara-Forum or Burson Grand Tourer
The main problem with Burson Soloist 3X GT is internal fan. Considering that you are usually quite close to the headphone amp and using open headphones means less isolation from external noise I would never consider any audio equipment "hifi" or "audiophile" that can produce noise due to fan. Otherwise Burson looks great on the paper. I also love it that it can be placed vertically. It would perfectly suit and fit one of my setups currently, but the internal fan makes it no go for me.

Sep 26, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #47 of 3,858
Thx for the hint with the fan, haven't considered that so far.
Guess that issue is present in the complete Burson top line including Timekeeper 3i, right?
What I find tempting though are tweaking options like exchangeable OP amp modules...

Sep 26, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #48 of 3,858
The main problem with Burson Soloist 3X GT is internal fan. Considering that you are usually quite close to the headphone amp and using open headphones means less isolation from external noise I would never consider any audio equipment "hifi" or "audiophile" that can produce noise due to fan. Otherwise Burson looks great on the paper. I also love it that it can be placed vertically. It would perfectly suit and fit one of my setups currently, but the internal fan makes it no go for me.
The noctua fan is typically more quiet than your own room’s ambient noise though so I am pretty sure fan noise will be a non issue. Maybe there could be a diff issue which other amps wont experience e.g. if a fan stops working, but not noise. My Mac mini’s fan is also inaudible. it gives me comfort, but hands on experience will confirm.

Sep 26, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #49 of 3,858
The noctua fan is typically more quiet than your own room’s ambient noise though so I am pretty sure fan noise will be a non issue. Maybe there could be a diff issue which other amps wont experience e.g. if a fan stops working, but not noise. My Mac mini’s fan is also inaudible. it gives me comfort, but hands on experience will confirm.
shhh, you won't make decisions easier :wink:

Sep 26, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #50 of 3,858
Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #51 of 3,858
So what are you leaning towards? Keeping it or not..? How is it with the Traillii?
Trailli sounds quite nice with my strange pairing M8 + Ferrum, it has better slam than Susvara.
Compared to driving Trailli out of M8 directly I see slight advantages in terms of tightness, control
And regarding my decision to keep Ferrum stack or not: I still have no idea.

It's the best amplifier I have had for Susvara so far but I also haven't had many: M30, Flux-FA-10 and now Ferrum OOR - all the ones I had before are too long ago and don't count as I have never tried them with my current headphones.

If I gave it back now I would get a complete refund but will need to listen to Susvara out of M30 at the boarder of it'S amplification until I get the next amp.
What is also giving me thoughts is my source as it seems to be clearly the more important driving factor regarding the described experiences (varying lack of body, unforgivingness and stage width)
I'd love to keep everything in order and have a stack with perfect synergy.
The next Ferrum product coming out in November will be the perfect synergy for the Ferrum stack itself for sure but of course I have no clue about its implementation and how it will behave with headphones according to my taste.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #52 of 3,858
Trailli sounds quite nice with my strange pairing M8 + Ferrum, it has better slam than Susvara.
Compared to driving Trailli out of M8 directly I see slight advantages in terms of tightness, control
And regarding my decision to keep Ferrum stack or not: I still have no idea.

It's the best amplifier I have had for Susvara so far but I also haven't had many: M30, Flux-FA-10 and now Ferrum OOR - all the ones I had before are too long ago and don't count as I have never tried them with my current headphones.

If I gave it back now I would get a complete refund but will need to listen to Susvara out of M30 at the boarder of it'S amplification until I get the next amp.
What is also giving me thoughts is my source as it seems to be clearly the more important driving factor regarding the described experiences (varying lack of body, unforgivingness and stage width)
I'd love to keep everything in order and have a stack with perfect synergy.
The next Ferrum product coming out in November will be the perfect synergy for the Ferrum stack itself for sure but of course I have no clue about its implementation and how it will behave with headphones according to my taste.
I would imagine the Ferrum Oor to definitely perform higher than M30 and FA-10; I hope you get a chance to hear/audition other amps that are considered to be ones better able to drive the Susvaras with little to no concession, e.g. against speaker amps/more powerful (or with better current delivery) headphone amps (e.g. Volot, Wa33, Cayin HA300, Benchmark AHB2, etc) as they're likely the better comparison than the FA-10.

Sep 26, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #53 of 3,858
I would imagine the Ferrum Oor to definitely perform higher than M30 and FA-10; I hope you get a chance to hear/audition other amps that are considered to be ones better able to drive the Susvaras with little to no concession, e.g. against speaker amps/more powerful (or with better current delivery) headphone amps (e.g. Volot, Wa33, Cayin HA300, Benchmark AHB2, etc) as they're likely the better comparison than the FA-10.
I understand what you are saying.
My issue is more that I am currently questioning my source and cannot judge the amplification unbiased as long as I see that it is changing the sound more significantly than amp rolling.
So pls take my comments here with the grain of salt based on the different scenarios and sources.

At the end there might be several ways to come to a desired signature keeping the headphone fixed in the equation
- rolling the source
- rolling the amp
- applying EQ and DSP

Sep 26, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #54 of 3,858
I'm yet to hear a fan that after 2-3 years of constant usage is noiseless... and I would like to buy equipment that lasts. This is also another mechanical moving part prone to failure adding to complexity of device. Since I dislike Apple policies I have no experience with their equipment but all other manufactures have similar issues at some point. However I don't have any experience with Burson so maybe you are right.

Sep 26, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #55 of 3,858
Thx for the hint with the fan, haven't considered that so far.
Guess that issue is present in the complete Burson top line including Timekeeper 3i, right?
What I find tempting though are tweaking options like exchangeable OP amp modules...
You are welcome :) I'm not sure about Timekeeper 3i @FooFighter - I couldn't find such info on Burson web page. Guess you can ask them directly.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #56 of 3,858
My pc has 6 fans running while I listen to music and they're barely audible. So I bet the fan in the GT will be a non-issue like you said. My only concern regarding the fan is if it stops working will the GT overheat or not turn on at all.

Sep 26, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #57 of 3,858
My pc has 6 fans running while I listen to music and they're barely audible. So I bet the fan in the GT will be a non-issue like you said. My only concern regarding the fan is if it stops working will the GT overheat or not turn on at all.
actually wrong thread and I am not a Burson expert but wasn't there a cooling stand offered for the top tier Bursons?
Are we now talking about the fan in the amp itself or about the cooling stand?

Sep 26, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #58 of 3,858
actually wrong thread and I am not a Burson expert but wasn't there a cooling stand offered for the top tier Bursons?
Are we now talking about the fan in the amp itself or about the cooling stand?
I believe (and I'm probably wrong) that the cooling stand was only used to set the amp vertically. The burson would run cooler in a vertical position and warmer when it was placed horizontally. But the stand doesn't provide additional cooling by itself.

Sep 26, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #59 of 3,858
I believe (and I'm probably wrong) that the cooling stand was only used to set the amp vertically. The burson would run cooler in a vertical position and warmer when it was placed horizontally. But the stand doesn't provide additional cooling by itself.
omg, really?
so we could actually build a stand ourselves if that was true

Sep 26, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #60 of 3,858

Users who are viewing this thread

Back