Ferrum OOR - headphone amplifier with a soul ?
May 11, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #1,681 of 3,854
Lol...is Ray still in business? He is a nice guy but his amps...
He may build one amp a year for the ignorant newcomer.

Never fear! Without the woeful RSA, we now have the even more woed Wells Audio.

May 11, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #1,682 of 3,854
While I haven't tried it on the OOR, IFI Elite sounds better than the Hypsos in all my use cases across 5 devices. So for the OOR u need to get a 24v version.

That's good to know, thanks! If I may ask, were there any specific differences between the two that set them apart the most in your setup?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 11, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #1,683 of 3,854
He may build one amp a year for the ignorant newcomer.

Never fear! Without the woeful RSA, we now have the even more woed Wells Audio.
How about that shiny exemplary human being named Mikhail and his ultra “high end” amps 🤣

Still member the cluster f amps named after Rudi Stor? 🤣

The best compliment I can give OOR is the amp sounds good and is not a dumpster fire. :beerchug:

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #1,684 of 3,854
May 11, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #1,685 of 3,854
How about that shiny exemplary human being named Mikhail and his ultra “high end” amps 🤣

Still member the cluster f amps named after Rudi Stor? 🤣

The best compliment I can give OOR is the amp sounds good and is not a dumpster fire. :beerchug:
Those legends will live on forever. Ha!

May 11, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #1,686 of 3,854
May 11, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #1,688 of 3,854
May 11, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #1,689 of 3,854
Aaaa this has peaked my interest. The AQ tornado is in my bucket list now as well.

I like the AQ Tornado. doesn't seem to do much wrong except maybe loses a bit of transparency and slight looseness in the low end. I've tried it with all my amps, and prefer it connected to amps than to my dacs or usb reclocker/ddcs.

I really wanted to help but I do not have the same level of RCA and XLR cable. Only got some standard studio RCA cables and Crystal Cable XLR cables. Hopefully someone else can have a fair comparison?

I can see where you are from, as most DACs often only offer 1 pair of XLR and RCA output. For those who have multiple amps, you only have 1 pair of balanced XLR as the source. The only solution seems to be getting a amp in power amp mode, and getting a Hi-Fi 2 Channel Preamp with multiple XLR outputs so that you can output to different headphones amps. Or you have to manually unplug the XLR cable every single time when swapping amps. Or get multiple DACs

yeah that's my exact problem. having a dac with one xlr and one rca out, rather than two xlr outs (only dac I've tried that has two xlr outputs is the okto dac8). my pre also only has one of each, so either ferrum bypass mode or power amp can get the xlr connection.

right now, I've opted for dac xlr into the ferrum (non bypass) and dac rca into the Primaluna pre. the xlr input into the ferrum does give a boost of power and less turns on the volume knob over rca input.

May 12, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #1,690 of 3,854
I just want to a local dealer the hear the oor/hypsos.

It sounded VERY different than my audio-gd HE-9. My HE-9 has a much more hefty presentation and noticeably more neutral. The oor had a absolutely beautiful analogue sweetness, slight roundness to the sound, with less heft, yet highly detailed. Don't get me wrong- it was not thin sounding; it was in fact very CORRECT sounding. Very very transparent amp.

This really has me thinking after all these years with the HE-9. The HE-9 presentation is much more "sterile" so to speak. The OOR is slightly and tastefully honey glazed.

As much as I love bass- I was so taken by the oor- which had tight punchy super high quality bass (but not a lot), it seemed to me to be more convincing; more correct, more real, less digital- by a good amount. More is not always better. This oor is so so well balanced. It sounds like a musical instrument. I agree- it has a soul...

The coloration on this amp. is done so so tastefully, and in such delicate fashion. Absolutely beautiful sounding..........

I am going to hear a 23R in the next few days hopefully. It will be interesting...

My HE-9 is gone..- period...

May 12, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #1,691 of 3,854

It sounded VERY different than my audio-gd HE-9. My HE-9 has a much more hefty presentation and noticeably more neutral. The oor had a absolutely beautiful analogue sweetness, slight roundness to the sound, with less heft, yet highly detailed. Don't get me wrong- it was not thin sounding; it was in fact very CORRECT sounding. Very very transparent amp.

This really has me thinking after all these years with the HE-9. The HE-9 presentation is much more "sterile" so to speak. The OOR is slightly and tastefully honey glazed.

As much as I love bass- I was so taken by the oor- which had tight punchy super high quality bass (but not a lot), it seemed to me to be more convincing; more correct, more real, less digital- by a good amount. More is not always better. This oor is so so well balanced. It sounds like a musical instrument. I agree- it has a soul...

The coloration on this amp. is done so so tastefully, and in such delicate fashion. Absolutely beautiful sounding..........

I am going to hear a 23R in the next few days hopefully. It will be interesting...

This analysis tracks really well with Ferrum's measurements too - GoldenSound measured the amp and it's very noise-free but not to the level of something sterile like the Topping A90. It feels like they did a fantastic job getting the thing to be ultra transparent but add a hint of coloring as to bring some positive flavor/"soul" to the amp that other "good measuring" amps seem to forget about or don't care to do.

May 12, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #1,692 of 3,854

Don't know how much you re into software solutions (I wasn't before getting Holo Audio Spring 3 and trying the recommend software upscaler HQPlayer with it).
In comparison to direct Roon it is providing a variety of analogue sounding filters which can audibly alter the signature by a degree that is usually reached by rolling DACs and amps.
Just also for experimenting together with your current and demo gear...
On top I am using Ovatory1990-PEQ and am very happy with the overall combination with Susvara providing that extra low end punch which can be lacking on many recordings otherwise

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #1,693 of 3,854

Can I ask what DAC was used to test these?

May 12, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #1,695 of 3,854
Using a fairly terrible cable I had on hand I used the single ended line out of my Fiio m17 into the ferrum stack. It sounded much better than I thought it would. Considering buying a good upgrade 4.4 pentaconn to dual 3-pin xlr cable to hear it’s true potential, does anyone have any recommendations?

Attachments

• 4B4C425F-0D0F-4F4D-9C91-3FF09E925F94.jpeg
    4B4C425F-0D0F-4F4D-9C91-3FF09E925F94.jpeg
    815.5 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back