Ferrum OOR - headphone amplifier with a soul ?
Nov 22, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #2,912 of 3,858
I've reached out to Ferrum already but ask anyone using a Hypos the following:

I'm sitting in a quiet room and after turning on the Hypos the device is kinda "loud", a distinct buzz, humming is noticable from even one meter away. When I "listen for it" I can notice it from even 2m away...

That doesn't seem right, right?
Thanks

Nope, something isn't right.

Nov 23, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #2,913 of 3,858
Same here, no noise. Is the unit physically vibrating?
Thanks to all!
Wojtek asked me to turn off 4T sensing, no change...
Yeah doesn't seem right.
No vibration at all when putting my hand on it.
Better send it in...damn, no spare amp

Nov 23, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #2,914 of 3,858
Thanks to all!
Wojtek asked me to turn off 4T sensing, no change...
Yeah doesn't seem right.
No vibration at all when putting my hand on it.
Better send it in...damn, no spare amp
You can use the Oor without the Hypsos. Are they concerned it's the pairing that's the issue? It's worth asking if you need to send both in for repair or if you can just send in the Hypsos. But perhaps they need both to track down the issue in case it's the Oor.

Nov 23, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #2,915 of 3,858
I would appreciate some feedback on the balanced HP connection on your Oor. I turned my system on today for the first time in over a week and for some time I could not get music to play through headphones. I did the usual turning things off and on, checking cable connections, checking sources. The Hypsos was registering the 6V input from my DAC, but no sound. It eventually resolved after more turning off/on and music plays now.

I noticed the balanced HP connections feels a little loose. It may have always been that way, I don't know. I never paid attention to it-- it's possible it was always this way and with the not playing issue I was looking for any potential causes. The connection is solid, but the connector has a slight wobble to it. And there was a very, very slight buzz in the left ear; the Oor has always been dead quiet.

I stepped away, then came back, turned things on, and things seem ok now, no buzz at all.

Last week someone may have knocked against the balanced cable connection and caused the issue. Just a hypothesis. I've pushed the Oor/Hypsos back into the rack since it's so shallow to avoid this issue in the future.

I'm curious if your Oor balanced HP connection is super tight or if the connector has a slight wobble to it?

Out of curiosity, if the connector got knocked and is slightly looser than it should be, is that kind of thing user serviceable? Is it just a matter of tightening the socket inside? Or is there probably more to it and a technician needs to do it? This would not be a warranty repair.

UPDATE: I contacted Ferrum and they said some wobble was normal. They were not concerned about my situation and said it's probably always been like that.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #2,917 of 3,858
20221124_220245.jpg20221124_220254.jpg

was listening to some music and then sound suddenly cut off. looks at the OOR and it showed the output voltage had dropped to 21v and there was not output power or output current reading (ie 0/zero).

had to bump up the voltage adjustment to 25.7v, and even then the output voltage on the OOR reads 22.6v (pics above). the Hypsos did come back to life though.

does anyone know why the output voltage does not come close to the adjusted voltage?

Nov 24, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #2,918 of 3,858
For me the actual voltage is always .2 V higher than what I set it to, but your case sounds much more serious.. I would contact Ferrum Support.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #2,919 of 3,858
You can use the Oor without the Hypsos. Are they concerned it's the pairing that's the issue? It's worth asking if you need to send both in for repair or if you can just send in the Hypsos. But perhaps they need both to track down the issue in case it's the Oor.
I'll order an if power elite from Amazon to send back after the Hypsos will have been returned. Buzz comes from Hypsos, Oor gotta be fine.
Balanced HP out it solid, no connection issues, have to use both hands to pull out the connector.
Good Luck!

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #2,920 of 3,858

was listening to some music and then sound suddenly cut off. looks at the OOR and it showed the output voltage had dropped to 21v and there was not output power or output current reading (ie 0/zero).

had to bump up the voltage adjustment to 25.7v, and even then the output voltage on the OOR reads 22.6v (pics above). the Hypsos did come back to life though.

does anyone know why the output voltage does not come close to the adjusted voltage?
Oh sorry to hear, but mine shows exactly what I set it to.

Nov 25, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #2,921 of 3,858
I'll order an if power elite from Amazon to send back after the Hypsos will have been returned. Buzz comes from Hypsos, Oor gotta be fine.
Balanced HP out it solid, no connection issues, have to use both hands to pull out the connector.
Good Luck!
Sorry to hear of your problem - with just Hypsos? Fortunately, such problems seem very rare :). Hopefully it's remedied as quickly as possible. And it will be interesting to hear your impressions of how the ifi power compares with Hypsos...especially given the price difference lol! :wink:. One day I must try my economical Chinese "Ultra Low Noise" LPS unit (with separate Voltage converter) as stock PS replacement that transformed (massively) my experimental Drop THX AAA 'ONE' amp. However, I do love my Hypsos so much that I might just pass on that!!
Good luck!

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #2,923 of 3,858
I would appreciate some feedback on the balanced HP connection on your Oor. I turned my system on today for the first time in over a week and for some time I could not get music to play through headphones. I did the usual turning things off and on, checking cable connections, checking sources. The Hypsos was registering the 6V input from my DAC, but no sound. It eventually resolved after more turning off/on and music plays now.

I noticed the balanced HP connections feels a little loose. It may have always been that way, I don't know. I never paid attention to it-- it's possible it was always this way and with the not playing issue I was looking for any potential causes. The connection is solid, but the connector has a slight wobble to it. And there was a very, very slight buzz in the left ear; the Oor has always been dead quiet.

I stepped away, then came back, turned things on, and things seem ok now, no buzz at all.

Last week someone may have knocked against the balanced cable connection and caused the issue. Just a hypothesis. I've pushed the Oor/Hypsos back into the rack since it's so shallow to avoid this issue in the future.

I'm curious if your Oor balanced HP connection is super tight or if the connector has a slight wobble to it?

Out of curiosity, if the connector got knocked and is slightly looser than it should be, is that kind of thing user serviceable? Is it just a matter of tightening the socket inside? Or is there probably more to it and a technician needs to do it? This would not be a warranty repair.

UPDATE: I contacted Ferrum and they said some wobble was normal. They were not concerned about my situation and said it's probably always been like that.
I never noticed this until you brought it up , mine is ever so loose but I think it’s completely normal variable fit .

Nov 29, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #2,924 of 3,858
Some time ago I learned not to rush to sell things. Keep them around for a while as I might and often do revisit them. In time, you'll know if it's worth selling.

Looking at buying an Oor + Hypsos myself but haven't yet.
Hi, if you havent bought an Oor/ Hypsos combination yet ,i have a near new ,like 3 months old for sale. Make me an offer.
I am preferring the Chord TT2, i just bought.
Im in Philippines, am Australian so if interested let me know

Dec 1, 2022 at 6:55 AM Post #2,925 of 3,858
Recently been on a journey to sell my Oor and Hypsos. I've decided to upgrade my HA6a (KT88 and EL34 based tube amp) to HA300 MK2 (300B based tube amp) and maybe get AHB2.

My main goal, more dynamics and bass from Susvara.

I put my Oor + Hypsos on sale ... packed my Ferrum away and started using HA6a a lot more, rolled some tubes, settled on a warm and fuzzy vintage sounding GL KT77 that I would describe as dynamic, bombastic, strong bass and vintage flavour. Then I rolled some highly regarded Black Treasure KT88-Z that were too solid state for my taste.

Few days pass, I roll some more tubes. Listen to KT77s a lot ... loving it, but the midrage is a bit muddy for some music and I'm like : ... what if I had more clarity in the midrange.

I started second-guessing my Ferrum decision, took it out again, stacked it this time (had it side by side on separate shelves before) ... let it warm up ... running HA6a "vintage bombastic" KT77 powered HA6a next to Ferrum ...

And then the revelation came ... Ferrum sounds A LOT like the KT77 vintage, full, "velvet hot chockolate" sound of the KT77, but with masterful midrange clarity!

... I was blown away, took Ferrum off eBay ...

I begin to be convinced that Ferrum stack, that after a year of usage became "old news" to me, is one of the TOTL Susvara (and other cans) experiences, offering something very unique indeed in the SS world. It's like a tube amp with ultimate clarity, but with the chockolatey, velvety sound tube lovers love. It's not a tube amp, HA6a on KT77 sounds different of course, but it's got that same magic with transparency and clarity that no tube will ever match ... that's why having both makes a lot of sense for people who love that full bodied, smooth sound.

Also it might be my imagination, but when stacked Oor on top of Hypsos it warms up differently and has more full bodied and warmer sound than with Hypsos on the left far away from Oor. It seems like it has more distortion after a warm up, but enjoyable type of distortion that makes things fuzzy and nice sounding : )

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back