Ferrum OOR - headphone amplifier with a soul ?
Dec 4, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #3,736 of 3,852
Anyone compared the ferrum OOR/Hyposis stack vs Violectric V550 ? Is the ferrum better? I’m seeing lots of mixed reviews online
That's a great question, I hope someone has the experience to answer .

Dec 4, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #3,737 of 3,852
Anyone compared the ferrum OOR/Hyposis stack vs Violectric V550 ? Is the ferrum better? I’m seeing lots of mixed reviews online
Ferrum ORR + Hypsos is a warmer sound setting. Slightly lower resolution, slightly smaller stage/space, rounded treble.
Vio 550 has a more neutral tuning, better articulation in the bass, greater resolution and stage (this is clearly audible on top-end headphones), brighter in the high frequencies.

The general recommendation is this. If you have an inexpensive Delta-Sigma DAC and bright Harman headphones and you are not crazy about harsh high frequencies, then the ORR will be your best choice.

If you have an R2R DAC and high-resolution headphones, then the Vio will be preferable. + Vio has the ability to fine-tune the gain to suit your specific headphones and your musical preferences.

Jan 2, 2024 at 7:44 AM Post #3,738 of 3,852
Hello all, I just bought some Meze Elites and am looking to upgrade my amp (Currently Simaudio Moon 230HAD). My current DAC is the Chord Qutest. The Ferrum stack is on my short list, along with the Chord Anni and Hugo TT2. I was wondering if anyone here has personal listening experience using the Ferrum stack with the Qutest and could provide some thoughts.

Hi h350.

I personally have the TT2/mscaler combo feeding OOR/Hypsos and OG Empys (with angled Alcantara pads and ultra high spec DIY UP-OCC solid silver and copper-wired cable). Using TT2's 'AMP' out as volume control and OOR in bypass mode, this combo in my own setup delivers everything superbly (for me!)...nothing lacking in any department as far as I'm concerned. But the real game changer came from changing source - first to a Denon DCD 1600 NE (SA)CD/DVD-R player (as transport), and now even more so from their flagship DCD A110 (again as transport)...both highlighting the inferiority of streaming/PC as source for serious listening, even though my Antipodes DX (with £650 Ethernet filter) is right up there! And along with finally going fully balanced (and out from OOR of course!), this Ferrum combo is delivering the kind of vinyl-like sound I never achieved from years of tube addiction without the latter's compromises compared with really good SS.

ps. Sorry (not aimed at you!), but after years of experimentation with, and assessment of, different cable wire and construction methods (along with other DIYers seriously into this topic), this is an important area in performance characteristics. This is almost akin to those who don't distinguish between a humble 'vin de table' and Grand Cru Classe vintage Claret I'm afraid!! :triportsad:

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #3,739 of 3,852
Ferrum Oor with Hypsos is the best solid state amplifier I have heard! Really love the sound with my beloved Expanse that I ended up getting one after having the chance to try at the headphone store.

Jan 13, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #3,740 of 3,852
Ferrum ORR + Hypsos is a warmer sound setting. Slightly lower resolution, slightly smaller stage/space, rounded treble.
Vio 550 has a more neutral tuning, better articulation in the bass, greater resolution and stage (this is clearly audible on top-end headphones), brighter in the high frequencies.

The general recommendation is this. If you have an inexpensive Delta-Sigma DAC and bright Harman headphones and you are not crazy about harsh high frequencies, then the ORR will be your best choice.

If you have an R2R DAC and high-resolution headphones, then the Vio will be preferable. + Vio has the ability to fine-tune the gain to suit your specific headphones and your musical preferences.
Not sure why but I have heard differently when I compared the V550 vs Oor+Hypsos while I am on headphone store.

Both were tested using Ifi Pro Idsd as the source.

V550 to me has a warmer tuning (less treble) than the Oor. With regards to resolution, I also hear more from the oor but not by much. Stage is definitely wider on the V550 than that oor. With regards to bass, I hear/feel more slam on the oor than the v550. V550 to me sounds looser or not as solid hitting on the bass. Both are open sounding as well when compared to Ifi Pro Ican/Ican Signature.

Headphone used was DCA Expanse.

Jan 13, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #3,741 of 3,852
does anyone know what potentiometer is built in OOR?

Jan 13, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #3,742 of 3,852
does anyone know what potentiometer is built in OOR?
1705176808774.png

Jan 13, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #3,743 of 3,852
thanks for looking, I'm exhausted finding an upgrade SS HPA and wanted to know if it's the same as US5 which it is...

Jan 13, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #3,744 of 3,852
thanks for looking, I'm exhausted finding an upgrade SS HPA and wanted to know if it's the same as US5 which it is...
Niimbus US 5 also has Alps 27 - 2 pieces. One is responsible for volume, the second for adjusting balance.
Niimbus US 5 PRO has a different volume control.

Jan 13, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #3,745 of 3,852
I know, but when I buy another HPA instead of OOR I'd definetley wanted a better attenuator!

Jan 14, 2024 at 3:38 AM Post #3,746 of 3,852
I know, but when I buy another HPA instead of OOR I'd definetley wanted a better attenuator!
Best by far IMHO is to dispense with any such degradation to the signal and use OOR's deal-winner bypass facility, assuming good quality preamp feed (such as digitally controlled via 'AMP' out from my Chord TT2... albeit a rather expensive option lol :wink:). :)

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 7:02 AM Post #3,748 of 3,852
By the way, my hypsos does not come with any micro b usb cable. Is this normal? If there is an upgrade to the firmware then I need to look one for myself which is kind of bummer given the price.

Jan 14, 2024 at 7:45 AM Post #3,749 of 3,852
Really? I don't think it's rubbish is it? It's a decent control IMHO. I'm not saying better doesn't exist, but it doesn't disgrace Oor.

Jan 14, 2024 at 9:53 AM Post #3,750 of 3,852
Really? I don't think it's rubbish is it? It's a decent control IMHO. I'm not saying better doesn't exist, but it doesn't disgrace Oor.
Rubbish, my baseline is what attenuator am I able to produce? obviously zero. So could I sanley criticize anyone making something I know nothing about? Like sportsfans, list goes on...

But when upgrading f.e. to a Niimbus I would not go for the non pro version with same alps pot.
Also having a reference for another set up like DAC w pre or DAC+pre I know what to look for.

So putting OOR in bypass only shifts attention.

I kinda struggle loosing money on selling OOR and finding a truly "better" SS HPA... no side grade with just slightly different flavor (Bliss...) strictly SS no tubes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back