[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Mar 1, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #1,141 of 3,686
Here in Italy the Btr5 is out of stock on official reseller website. No info about new availability.
What's the situation in China? Here in Italy various region got school closed...
Who knows, I saw this today, there may be other factors that effect the data other than COVID-19 though. Facts can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

1583047829018.png

Mar 1, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #1,142 of 3,686
What are some of the recommend Case for BTR5?
Long press and then short presses, then charge 'on'.

Hello, could you elaborate a little? Does the BTR5 have to be completely off, then Plug into the PC? Doesn't setting it to Charge "On" means the it will use the internal battery when using it as USB DAC?

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #1,143 of 3,686
What are some of the recommend Case for BTR5?

Hello, could you elaborate a little? Does the BTR5 have to be completely off, then Plug into the PC? Doesn't setting it to Charge "On" means the it will use the internal battery when using it as USB DAC?

Charge on, means it's going to charge from the source it's hooked up to. Charge off means it will only use the internal battery. Afaik there are only 2 cases to buy, one is made by dd and the other is branded fiio.

Mar 1, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #1,144 of 3,686
It does feel less bulky for sure, probably because of the thicker corners on the clip and the clip itself. The clip is actually very nice, but if you're just using it as a usb dac a lot it's nice to have the pu case. I took some more pics so you can gauge the thickness.

The case makes it look more pro, ha ha.

Cheers mate, thanks for the pics - I think I’ll have to grab one! :)

Mar 1, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #1,148 of 3,686
Charge on, means it's going to charge from the source it's hooked up to. Charge off means it will only use the internal battery. Afaik there are only 2 cases to buy, one is made by dd and the other is branded fiio.

so, either way, the battery gets used. @FiiO Any idea if the BTR5 have overcharge protection ? I was hoping it can run off of USB Power when using as a USB DAC, thus leaving the Battery alone.

Do I need a specialty Cable to use the BTR5 as a USB DAC for my Computer?

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #1,149 of 3,686
so, either way, the battery gets used. @FiiO Any idea if the BTR5 have overcharge protection ? I was hoping it can run off of USB Power when using as a USB DAC, thus leaving the Battery alone.

No the cable that came with it will work.

Mar 2, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #1,150 of 3,686

You can Disable USB Charge while connected via USB DAC - that is required for iPhone connections - and I have tried Disabling Charge for PC / Note 10+ DAC use to see if I could detect any noise or lack of noise, or audio quality differences - both Charging and Not Charging sound the same to me. You can adjust that setting live on the BTR5 or in the App.

I used the included cable with the BTR5 along with a USB-A Female to USB-A Male extension cable to reach the back or top of the PC case, some USB ports are less noisy than others, and I found my favorite port - surprisingly on the front panel, it has the least noise or no noise I can detect.

I've also used the Note 10+ included cable for charging and DAC use between the Note 10+ and the BTR5, it's too short to reach the USB-C port on my PC, so I am ordering this USB-C to USB-C cable - I haven't tried it yet:

USB C to C Cable 100W (5FT), RIITOP USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 Fast Charging Cable (20Gbps) with E-Marker for PD and 4K Video (Thunderbolt 3 Compatible) Braided Nylon Cord - $13.95
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZVDDBK9

There are USB-C cables built for USB 2.0 speed - 480mbps, and those would be ok for the BTR5 audio, but I wanted something with a bit longer life, better noise rejection, and a nicer outer covering. A 10gbps or 20gbps cable is probably overkill, but I wanted to get a cable that I could use for a couple of generations of devices. That is unless they change the USB-C connector again. These higher speed cables also have better shielding.

This is what I bought to have a short data cable between the Note 10+ and the BTR5, slightly longer than the included cable and USB-C to USB-C. Note the Arrows on the Connectors, you have to orient the arrows in the correct data direction - they only work in one direction, I've tried. Arrows go from the source device to the BTR5. It's back in stock for $7.95:

DD TC05 Type C to Type C Audio Data Decoding Cable for FiiO K3/BTR1K/M9/M6 10 cm
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PJZBYVH

I'm also ordering some high speed converters to adapt cables to sources, I haven't verified they work yet either:

Electop Updated USB 3.1 Male to Type-C Female Adapter,USB A to USB C 3.1 GEN 2 Converter,Support Double Sided 10Gbps Charging & Data
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q81GD5G/

USB C Female to USB 3.0 Male Adapter(2 Pack),Type C to USB A Connector Converter
https://www.amazon.com/Elebase-Keychain-Connector-Chargers-Interface/dp/B07DL9WL73

Still working out which converters to get, there are bunch of them.

If anyone has any other cables / converters they've tried or want to try to recommend please do, I could use some suggestions. I'll update after I've tested out whatever I end up getting.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #1,152 of 3,686
You can Disable USB Charge while connected via USB DAC - that is required for iPhone connections - and I have tried Disabling Charge for PC / Note 10+ DAC use to see if I could detect any noise or lack of noise, or audio quality differences - both Charging and Not Charging sound the same to me. You can adjust that setting live on the BTR5 or in the App.

I used the included cable with the BTR5 along with a USB-A Female to USB-A Male extension cable to reach the back or top of the PC case, some USB ports are less noisy than others, and I found my favorite port - surprisingly on the front panel, it has the least noise or no noise I can detect.

I've also used the Note 10+ included cable for charging and DAC use between the Note 10+ and the BTR5, it's too short to reach the USB-C port on my PC, so I am ordering this USB-C to USB-C cable - I haven't tried it yet:

USB C to C Cable 100W (5FT), RIITOP USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 Fast Charging Cable (20Gbps) with E-Marker for PD and 4K Video (Thunderbolt 3 Compatible) Braided Nylon Cord - $13.95
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZVDDBK9

There are USB-C cables built for USB 2.0 speed - 480mbps, and those would be ok for the BTR5 audio, but I wanted something with a bit longer life, better noise rejection, and a nicer outer covering. A 10gbps or 20gbps cable is probably overkill, but I wanted to get a cable that I could use for a couple of generations of devices. That is unless they change the USB-C connector again. These higher speed cables also have better shielding.

This is what I bought to have a short data cable between the Note 10+ and the BTR5, slightly longer than the included cable and USB-C to USB-C. Note the Arrows on the Connectors, you have to orient the arrows in the correct data direction - they only work in one direction, I've tried. Arrows go from the source device to the BTR5. It's back in stock for $7.95:

DD TC05 Type C to Type C Audio Data Decoding Cable for FiiO K3/BTR1K/M9/M6 10 cm
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PJZBYVH

I'm also ordering some high speed converters to adapt cables to sources, I haven't verified they work yet either:

Electop Updated USB 3.1 Male to Type-C Female Adapter,USB A to USB C 3.1 GEN 2 Converter,Support Double Sided 10Gbps Charging & Data
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q81GD5G/

USB C Female to USB 3.0 Male Adapter(2 Pack),Type C to USB A Connector Converter
https://www.amazon.com/Elebase-Keychain-Connector-Chargers-Interface/dp/B07DL9WL73

Still working out which converters to get, there are bunch of them.

If anyone has any other cables / converters they've tried or want to try to recommend please do, I could use some suggestions. I'll update after I've tested out whatever I end up getting.

My main concern is the non-replaceable internal battery. I simply do not want the battery to be charged / use when I'm using it as a wired USB DAC. Oh well, I should've done more research before ordering the BTR5.

Regardless thanks for the wright up :grin:

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #1,153 of 3,686
My main concern is the non-replaceable internal battery. I simply do not want the battery to be charged / use when I'm using it as a wired USB DAC. Oh well, I should've done more research before ordering the BTR5.

Regardless thanks for the wright up :grin:
NP, I wouldn't worry about it much, the BTR5 will likely work fine for years to come even using the battery in all modes - FiiO has been designing and building such devices for years now. Most(?) devices run from battery as a normal operating mode for best audio vs AC/DC external power.

FiiO does help customers out of warranty as well, so you could send it in for a battery replacement upon that eventuality with the BTR5:
Chamelleon replied at 2019-11-6 14:46
My device is older than year so out of warranty.
"Dear friend,
If you do not mind sending the BTR3 back to us for repair, we could repair for you free of charge, but you would need to pay the 8USD shipping cost of sending back to you.
Best regards "
http://fiio.net:8000/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=44947&page=1#pid130746

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #1,154 of 3,686
NP, I wouldn't worry about it much, the BTR5 will likely work fine for years to come even using the battery in all modes - FiiO has been designing and building such devices for years now. Most(?) devices run from battery as a normal operating mode for best audio vs AC/DC.

FiiO does help customers out of warranty as well, so you could send it in for a battery replacement upon that eventuality with the BTR5:

"Dear friend,
If you do not mind sending the BTR3 back to us for repair, we could repair for you free of charge, but you would need to pay the 8USD shipping cost of sending back to you.
Best regards "
http://fiio.net:8000/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=44947&page=1#pid130746

Yes fiio has done that for me, I just changed the battery myself. Most of these manufacturers are good about keeping extra cells about.

But anyways by the time the battery dies, BTr20 ver 2.0 will be out lol.

Mar 2, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #1,155 of 3,686

Users who are viewing this thread

Back