[FiiO BTR7] Portable Bluetooth Amplifier, Color IPS display,High-performance DAC ES9219C*2,THX AAA-28*2 amps,3.5+4.4mm outputs,One-click “dongle” mode
Oct 23, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #1,006 of 2,103
Do you think that the BTR7 is capable to drive the HiFI Man Sundara or other planar magnetic headphones?
I'm using it with my Monolith M1570 at high gain, vol 20 and its plenty loud. So yes, I think it'll be fine for Sundara :)

Oct 23, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #1,007 of 2,103
I'm using it with my Monolith M1570 at high gain, vol 20 and its plenty loud. So yes, I think it'll be fine for Sundara :)
Thanks, good to know :)

What is the benefit of the 4.4mm output versus the 3.5mm? More power and less electrical noise (if living in an electrically noisy environment)?

I had a couple of phone calls via WhatsApp, too. The quality of the call is great, as long as I am holding the BTR7 in front of me, in a steady position. If I will put it in my pocket or start moving around, the caller is hearing some screeching noises and feels to them like I am talking from another room or from further away. No worries about that, it's the same with my Qudelix + nothing can beat my UTWS5 when it comes to phone calls. :)

Attachments

• btr7.jpg
    btr7.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 23, 2022 at 6:33 AM Post #1,008 of 2,103

What is the benefit of the 4.4mm output versus the 3.5mm? More power and less electrical noise (if living in an electrically noisy environment)?

I had a couple of phone calls via WhatsApp, too. The quality of the call is great, as long as I am holding the BTR7 in front of me, in a steady position. If I will put it in my pocket or start moving around, the caller is hearing some screeching noises and feels to them like I am talking from another room or from further away. No worries about that, it's the same with my Qudelix + nothing can beat my UTWS5 when it comes to phone calls. :)
A balanced output will give you more power output, better overall sound quality in terms of stereo separation, reduced if not eliminated crosstalk since each channel has a dedicated ground and less electrical noise, though the later probably doesn't really apply to a relatively short IEM cable but you get the idea 🙂

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #1,009 of 2,103
A balanced output will give you more power output, better overall sound quality in terms of stereo separation, reduced if not eliminated crosstalk since each channel has a dedicated ground and less electrical noise, though the later probably doesn't really apply to a relatively short IEM cable but you get the idea 🙂
Any particular cable you would suggest?
I will also have a look at the dedicated cable thread, here

Oct 23, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #1,010 of 2,103
Most of my IEM's are FiiO so they come with excellent cables to begin with, perhaps if you are looking for IEM cables look at the FiiO ones 🙂

Oct 23, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #1,011 of 2,103
Which is a better buy: Cayin RU6 or BTR7?
I have owned both, they are both good when it comes to sound and it would be hard for me to recommend one over the other since they have different sound signatures and features.

The RU6 being an R2R device is very musical and pleasent to listen to while the BTR7 is more linear and closer to being un-colored. The BTR7 resolves a bit better and has a bit more detail and clarity while the RU6 has wider soundstage, beautiful and full vocals but it's a bit hazy in the upper region compared to BTR7.

I sold my RU6 and kept BTR7 mostly cause of the extra features it has like internal battery and bluetooth connectivity. For me sound quality wasn't a top priority when considering between them as I had other more expensive DACs that are better than both. The RU6 was draining my phone's battery sooner and my Samsung Tab does not come with a Headphone jack so the BTR7's bluetooth input was more useful for me.
Do you think that the BTR7 is capable to drive the HiFI Man Sundara or other planar magnetic headphones?
No just no. I already tried with Sundara (2020) & Edition XS (Balanced Out with both). It can get enough volume out of them but overall it cannot drive them to their full potential. The overall sound while loud enough is Bass anemic, thin and bright. Even the RU6 does not drive them well.

What @scracy said. Although with the BTR7, I noticed that the difference between Balanced and Single-Ended while present, isn't that big as long as you are trying to drive IEMs that don't benefit from the extra power. Some of my previous gear with Balanced circuitry like Sparrow, Gryphon, BTR5... where much more softer and intimate from their Single-Ended Output compared to Balanced Output which had wider soundstage, better Imaging and clarity...

Try XINHS Cables, they are good value for money. I recently got one 8 core cable (If I remember correctly, attached Pic) from them and it has good build quality, better than other alternatives like KBear, Tripowin... and feels good in hand too. A bit heavy though so maybe look for less core count cables from them of that's an issue for you.

Attachments

• 20221004_194738.jpg
    20221004_194738.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Oct 23, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #1,012 of 2,103

No just no. I already tried with Sundara (2020) & Edition XS (Balanced Out with both). It can get enough volume out of them but overall it cannot drive them to their full potential. The overall sound while loud enough is Bass anemic, thin and bright. Even the RU6 does not drive them well.

What @scracy said. Although with the BTR7, I noticed that the difference between Balanced and Single-Ended while present, isn't that big as long as you are trying to drive IEMs that don't benefit from the extra power. Some of my previous gear with Balanced circuitry like Sparrow, Gryphon, BTR5... where much more softer and intimate from their Single-Ended Output compared to Balanced Output which had wider soundstage, better Imaging and clarity...

Try XINHS Cables, they are good value for money. I recently got one 8 core cable (If I remember correctly, attached Pic) from them and it has good build quality, better than other alternatives like KBear, Tripowin... and feels good in hand too. A bit heavy though so maybe look for less core count cables from them of that's an issue for you.
Oh, I see... So, according to your opinion, the BTR7 is not capable of driving planar headphones well? That is no good news... I got it yesterday to test it. I already have the Qudelix-5K. The only justifiable reason for me to keep it is if it could drive some good planar headphones. Currently, I do not own any, but I was planning to buy in the near future. Now I have the IEMs shown in my signature. The 7Hz Timeless sound great with the BTR7 (using the TRI Grace C cable and SpinFit 100+ tips). I have also tried my KLH Ultimate One with a XINHS 8-Cores Graphene cable. Sounds fantastic! Later today, I will also try my RAPTGO HOOK-X with their stock cable. I am sure they will sound great.
But if it will not be able to drive a planar, I am not sure if I should keep it...

Thanks for your suggestion on XINHS. I know them, already using them, they are very nice :)

Oct 23, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #1,014 of 2,103
I will also try my RAPTGO HOOK-X with their stock cable. I am sure they will sound great.
This appears to be a super nice combo!
(Listening to Amazon Music Unlimited and local files via UAPP)

Attachments

• btr7_1.jpg
    btr7_1.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 23, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #1,015 of 2,103
Oct 23, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #1,017 of 2,103
@romekbono , thank you, I will have a look :)

Hey guys, I have observed that the battery level indicator sometimes disappears. This occurred to me today, after connecting my HOOK-X to the 4.4mm connection. Has anyone else observed this? So, I wake up the screen and the battery indicator is not there. If then, I will turn it off and on a couple of times, it appears again.

Oct 23, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #1,018 of 2,103
Hey guys, I have observed that the battery level indicator sometimes disappears. This occurred to me today, after connecting my HOOK-X to the 4.4mm connection. Has anyone else observed this? So, I wake up the screen and the battery indicator is not there. If then, I will turn it off and on a couple of times, it appears again.
Yeah I've noticed this as well. A little annoying.

Oct 23, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #1,019 of 2,103
Yeah I've noticed this as well. A little annoying.
Thanks for confirming, and no worries, just a little annoyance, as you say :)
@FiiO , have a look, if you please

Oct 23, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #1,020 of 2,103
Oh, I see... So, according to your opinion, the BTR7 is not capable of driving planar headphones well? That is no good news... I got it yesterday to test it. I already have the Qudelix-5K. The only justifiable reason for me to keep it is if it could drive some good planar headphones. Currently, I do not own any, but I was planning to buy in the near future. Now I have the IEMs shown in my signature. The 7Hz Timeless sound great with the BTR7 (using the TRI Grace C cable and SpinFit 100+ tips). I have also tried my KLH Ultimate One with a XINHS 8-Cores Graphene cable. Sounds fantastic! Later today, I will also try my RAPTGO HOOK-X with their stock cable. I am sure they will sound great.
But if it will not be able to drive a planar, I am not sure if I should keep it...

Thanks for your suggestion on XINHS. I know them, already using them, they are very nice :)
If you already like the Qudelix and are happy with it, then sure go ahead and get something that is better suited to drive demanding Headphones. Portable DACs like XD-05 Plus, Topping G5 and Hip-DAC2 are better options for planars.

Personally, I like the sound quality of BTR7 better than other Bluetooth Dongle DACs that I've tried like BTR7, XB10, BC3 so I've decided to stick with it for now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back