Fiio E 11 or O2 to pair with Denon AHD 5000 and AKG Q701.
Mar 13, 2012 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

manzano804

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. I would like to have some advice about wich amp to buy . I own a UE TripleFi 10 and i have just ordered a Denon AHD 5000 and a AKG Q701. I will mainly use them to listen to Apple Lossles files,AIFF and WAV from my iPad and iPod Classic 6th generation at home. After some research i have two options Fiio E11 and O2. Which one with go better with my rig? It is important to point that normally i listen to a very low volume to protect my hearing. l also would like to know that if in order to have a better SQ i need a DAC for my iPad/iPod set up. Thanks.

Mar 14, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #2 of 11
Well, I would buy the JDS Labs C421 if you really want a portable amplifier that can power the AKG Q701, Denon AH-D5000 can be powered by just about anything while minimal amping definitely does help.

+ You can't lug around the O2, I'm not sure if you want a portable amp or not, but this is the portable amp sub-forum so....

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks a lot for your quick answer and insights. I want to ask you something else. Do you think that in case i only keep the Denon is an amplifier going to be helpful or i won't need it. As i wrote before i mainly listen Apple lossles in my iPod /iPad at low volume. What about a DAC , will improve sound quality in my rig? Thanks again.

Mar 14, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 11
Well... I'm still not sure if you want an O2 or not.  

However, many people have stated that they go source then amp (while I went the reverse path because I'm an idiot).  An amplifier without a DAC or Line Out in the case of an iPod it will cause the amplifier while adding its own characteristics to amplify the inconsistencies and garbage produced by your original sound card (which you obviously dislike or are not satisfied with because you're upgrading your sound rig). So I would definitely if investing into a good amp, either get the FiiO E17 (AMP and 24/96kHz USB DAC), or do what I said and get the JDS Labs C421, which will allow you to amplify your headphones outside of your home, which imo is important to bring out the true potential of headphones.  After all, many sensitive IEM's can be powered to deafening levels by just an iPod, doesn't mean the SQ is nearly as good as a good silver wire LOD with an amplifier.  Cheers mate.

Mar 16, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #8 of 11
The only external DACs that work with the iPod and iPad cost $500.
So you going to have to use the DAC built into the iPod/iPad.
I would say get the O2 (Objective 2) portable headphone amplifier (nothing against the Fiio E11, I own one)
The O2 seems to do a good job powering everything.
Also get a Fiio L cable, it connects to apple products LOD port, it bypasses the apple products built in headphone amplifier, give a slightly cleaner signal for external amplifiers.

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Thanks for your opinion, i would love to buy the O2 however it seems not very portable , would you think the E11 would be a good choice?

Those are some really expensive headphones to be carrying around/traveling with.
I would "guess" the E11 would power the Denon AH-D5000 and AKG Q701.
I've tested about 6 of my headphones with the E11 and they all work.
The 250-Ohm headphones work, I get decent listening levels with all the volume levels maxed out.
The Denon is only 25-Ohm and the AKG is 62-Ohm.
The AKG Q701 is a little more power hungry (voltage?) then the average 60 to 70-Ohm headphone.
For the amount your are spending on the headphones, the Fiio E11 is a cheap enough amplifier to try out.
Even better if the Fiio E11 is easy to return if it turns out to not work out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back