Fiio E10 and E11 or Fiio E17 Only
Jul 8, 2012 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jackcell

New Head-Fier
Let me start by saying that I realize there is an almost Identical thread to this one, and I did not know whether or not to post onto that old thread or create a new one, so I created a new one. I apologize if I piss anyone off. I am new so please bear with me. 

I am looking to purchase a Head phone Amp. 

My current set up is as follows.

Desktop:
8 channel [7.1] HD Audio subsystem [192k/ 24 bit 2ch] built in sound card from my Fairly new MSI 870A-G54 motherboard on my custom built pc. Now I'm assuming that this has a decent DAC but if I am incorrect, please enlighten me. 
Audio Technica Ath-m50. 

Ipod:
5th Gen Ipod classic 60 gb with Rockbox on it.
Audio Technica Ath-m50

PLAN
My initial plan was to purchase a Fiio E10 for my Desktop
and
Fiio E11 for my Ipod.

But now that I have been reading, I have noticed that the Fiio E17 seems to now be the popular alternative to this set up. For that price however, I could buy both an E10 and E11 and all of the required cables. 

Other information: I use all FLAC files so that shouldn't be a contributing factor. The reason I am amping is because I am used to the Heavy bass I get from the system in my car.

So now to my questions:
1) Does my Ipod even have the capability of using the DAC from the E17 or even need it for that matter?
2) I am worried about using a portable device like the E17 for all of my needs, and also worried about it sliding off my desk, Should I be? (Yeah stupid question, I know)
3) Does anyone one have any experiences with either of these set ups or have any advice?

Jul 8, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
Let me start by saying that I realize there is an almost Identical thread to this one, and I did not know whether or not to post onto that old thread or create a new one, so I created a new one. I apologize if I piss anyone off. I am new so please bear with me. 
I am looking to purchase a Head phone Amp. 
My current set up is as follows.
Desktop:
8 channel [7.1] HD Audio subsystem [192k/ 24 bit 2ch] built in sound card from my Fairly new MSI 870A-G54 motherboard on my custom built pc. Now I'm assuming that this has a decent DAC but if I am incorrect, please enlighten me. 
Audio Technica Ath-m50. 
Ipod:
5th Gen Ipod classic 60 gb with Rockbox on it.
Audio Technica Ath-m50
My initial plan was to purchase a Fiio E10 for my Desktop and A Fiio E11 for my Ipod.
But now that I have been reading, I have noticed that the Fiio E17 seems to now be the popular alternative to this set up. For that price however, I could buy both an E10 and E11 and all of the required cables. 
Other information: I use all FLAC files so that shouldn't be a contributing factor. The reason I am amping is because I am used to the Heavy bass I get from the system in my car.
So now to my questions:
1) Does my Ipod even have the capability of using the DAC from the E17 or even need it for that matter?
2) I am worried about using a portable device like the E17 for all of my needs, and also worried about it sliding off my desk, Should I be? (Yeah stupid question, I know)
3) Does anyone one have any experiences with either of these set ups or have any advice?

iPods can not connect to most external add-on DACs, portable or desktop (All Fiio products included), the cheapest way to hook up and external DAC to the iPod is the HRT iStreamer $150.
DACs usually hook up to a coaxial, optical or USB port, which your iPod does not have.
So you can not use the DAC feature of the E10/E17 with the iPod.

Get a used ($55) Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card (decent DAC) for your computer and the Fiio E11, you can switch the E11 between the sound card and your iPod.
for around $13, off eBay, you can get two spare batteries (BL-5B) and a simple AC battery recharger, for use with the E11.
total price around $135

Jul 8, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
iPods can not connect to most external add-on DACs, portable or desktop (All Fiio products included), the cheapest way to hook up and external DAC to the iPod is the HRT iStreamer $150.
DACs usually hook up to a coaxial, optical or USB port, which your iPod does not have.
So you can use the DAC feature of the E10/E17 with the iPod.

Get a used ($55) Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card (decent DAC) for your computer and the Fiio E11, you can switch the E11 between the sound card and your iPod.
for around $13, off eBay, you can get two spare batteries (BL-5B) and a simple AC battery recharger, for use with the E11.
total price around $135

Okay, Now I see what you are saying in regards to the sound card, But what exactly is bad about the current sound card in my new mother board? (I ask mainly out of interest.) And If I get an e10 as well will I be able to avoid purchasing a sound card upgrade? My thinking is that if I want to listen on my laptop, I will be able to plug the E10 in. 

Now, with regards to the Ipod, I was mainly trying to confirm what I had read on this forum that said that the gen 5 Ipod had a pretty good DAC, but thank you for informing me of its incompatibility with external DAC's. I will just use what it has.

Jul 8, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Okay, Now I see what you are saying in regards to the sound card, But what exactly is bad about the current sound card in my new mother board? (I ask mainly out of interest.) And If I get an e10 as well will I be able to avoid purchasing a sound card upgrade? My thinking is that if I want to listen on my laptop, I will be able to plug the E10 in. 

Now, with regards to the IPod, I was mainly trying to confirm what I had read on this forum that said that the gen 5 iPod had a pretty good DAC, but thank you for informing me of its incompatibility with external DAC's. I will just use what it has.

Most motherboard usually come with low cost DACs and the green "headphone jack" is more like a line-out jack that pretends to be a headphone jack.
With the Xonar DX/D1 you get a better DAC and still have headphone surround sound, the headphone jack on the Xonar is not that great, but the E11 is a good headphone amp and can plug into the Xonar.
For use switching between a desktop and a laptop the Fiio E10 does sound like a better choice over the Xonar/E11 combo.
Apple products have a rep for coming with decent audio support (DAC).

Jul 8, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Most motherboard usually come with low cost DACs and the green "headphone jack" is more like a line-out jack that pretends to be a headphone jack.
With the Xonar DX/D1 you get a better DAC and still have headphone surround sound, the headphone jack on the Xonar is not that great, but the E11 is a good headphone amp and can plug into the Xonar.
For use switching between a desktop and a laptop the Fiio E10 does sound like a better choice over the Xonar/E11 combo.
Apple products have a rep for coming with decent audio support (DAC).

Okay, Kool this was very helpful. My laptop is a bogus samsung so I'll probably need the E10 for that, but now that I think about it, It doesn't have any music on it, so It woln't be very convenient. I guess I'm Kinda back to where I started. Maybe I should just start with an E11 and see how that goes, then move on to the E10 if I find that my on board card cannot cut it. 

On a second not, here is the Info on the card from the MSI site. 

Audio
• Chipset integrated by Realtek® ALC892
- True Blu-ray Audio Support
- Flexible 8-channel audio with jack sensing
- Compliant with Azalia 1.0 Spec

and here is the classic BS on it. 

Lossless 24-bit/192KHz HD Audio
Onboard PC audio gets better! MSI is the first to implement the most high-end HD Audio codecs available. Don’t be fooled by other inferior audio solutions onboard (sometimes you can’t even find the driver!) Only MSI offers the Loss-less 24-bit/192KHz HD Audio function with an incredible 109 SNR dB value to provide the most clear & vivid HD audio quality and support 7.1 channels surround sound playback with a 2-channel independent stereo output (multiple streaming) through the front panel 3.5 inch phone jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back