FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jan 10, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #121 of 6,777
Huzzah! Just like Duyu, I can't wait to hear what you think about it. For me the amp comes before the DAC as most of the time it will be mobile with me. :D

Quote:
FiiO is trying to ship it before the end of next week (before Chinese new year, which will be a week off in China). MP4 Nation is the closest international dealer to FiiO, so they should receive their stock first. But for now, it all depends on how fast FiiO can ship them out.

On a happier note, I just receive the replacement unit and it is all working well this time. Hooray!

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #122 of 6,777

Quote:
BTW,

It is not $60...

if
you preorder it now, which is around 128 (with a coupon code). You will get a free earphone which is worth $28.

I don't know the lowest price of E10 though...

What is this coupon code you speak of? I purchased it for 134.50.

Jan 10, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #125 of 6,777
I have been looking into purchasing the Fiio E17, but I've also been intrigued by the PA2V2 amp sold by Electric Avenue.  I understand that the E17 has a DAC, as well as an amp.

I'd be using the device with an iMac, Macbook Air and an iPhone (which would not be able to use the E17 DAC).

Any thoughts on which is the better choice for me, considering sound quality, value and portability?

Thanks.

Jan 11, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #126 of 6,777
PA2V2 has a well colored lush presentation, but other that that it has less control compared even to a E6. I won't really recommend it. For the same money of a PA2V2, JDS cmoyBB or FiiO E11 will make better 'pure amp' choice. E17 will be great as an all-in-one amp / DAC. For a cheaper (and lesser in performance) choice, there is the iBasso D-zero.

Jan 11, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #128 of 6,777
ZO2.3 still has the upper hand if we are talking solely on bass boost. But E17 is overall an better amp, and the bass boost on its isn't too shabby as well. It depends on what you want - if you really want a good bass boost, ZO2.3 is great, but if you want a more transparent and neutral amp, E17 is better. One thing to note is that ZO2.3 will hiss with some of the high sensitivity, low impedance hiss prone IEM (i.e. SE530, SE535, etc) so it is best avoid pairing them together. For most headphone and IEM >32ohm, you should be okay.

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #129 of 6,777

Quote:
ZO2.3 still has the upper hand if we are talking solely on bass boost. But E17 is overall an better amp, and the bass boost on its isn't too shabby as well. It depends on what you want - if you really want a good bass boost, ZO2.3 is great, but if you want a more transparent and neutral amp, E17 is better. One thing to note is that ZO2.3 will hiss with some of the high sensitivity, low impedance hiss prone IEM (i.e. SE530, SE535, etc) so it is best avoid pairing them together. For most headphone and IEM >32ohm, you should be okay.

ClieOS, I have the E11 and I find the amp + bass boost rocks my M50s like no other. How would you say the bass boost on the E17 is in comparison to the E11. I'm looking to get a DAC/Amp. I didn't like the E7 at all. Sounded very weak in comparison to the E11 amp-wise, plus it didn't work out of the right channel when used as a DAC.

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #130 of 6,777

Quote:
ClieOS, I have the E11 and I find the amp + bass boost rocks my M50s like no other. How would you say the bass boost on the E17 is in comparison to the E11. I'm looking to get a DAC/Amp. I didn't like the E7 at all. Sounded very weak in comparison to the E11 amp-wise, plus it didn't work out of the right channel when used as a DAC.

I found the E11 added minor bass with Ultrasone DJ1 Pros... in comparison to my iphone alone. Guessing that means I mite do better with M50's...

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #131 of 6,777

Quote:
I found the E11 added minor bass with Ultrasone DJ1 Pros... in comparison to my iphone alone. Guessing that means I mite do better with M50's...

Interesting, but not the case with my M50s. I compared with the iPhone and E11. Not even in the same universe. Thumping bass using EQ setting 2 on the M50s. If the E17 can do similar then I will be satisfied. I'm going to pre-order anyway and hope for the best.

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #132 of 6,777

Quote:
Interesting, but not the case with my M50s. I compared with the iPhone and E11. Not even in the same universe. Thumping bass using EQ setting 2 on the M50s. If the E17 can do similar then I will be satisfied. I'm going to pre-order anyway and hope for the best.

Try to find out if you could use the coupon code mentioned by jono454...

Quote:

it's a facebook coupon for liking their page.

Jan 11, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #133 of 6,777

Quote:

I think E11 actually has more power than E17, but E17 can put out more bass via its EQ. The difference between the two (power vs. EQ) is that power doesn't actually change the FR curve, but it adds more impact, speed, and damping (*control, which affects the overall body of the bass note). With EQ, the FR curve is changed so the frequency has more gain (voltage). With the E7, it is limited on both (power and EQ). With E11, the EQ isn't a lot but the power is; with E17, the EQ is more dominated than the power. You probably won't find E17's bass quite as tight as E11, but purely on volume wise, E17 will have more.

Quote:

If you really want a lot of bass boost, try the digiZoid ZO2.3.

Jan 11, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #134 of 6,777

Quote:
I think E11 actually has more power than E17, but E17 can put out more bass via its EQ. The difference between the two (power vs. EQ) is that power doesn't actually change the FR curve, but it adds more impact, speed, and damping (*control, which affects the overall body of the bass note). With EQ, the FR curve is changed so the frequency has more gain (voltage). With the E7, it is limited on both (power and EQ). With E11, the EQ isn't a lot but the power is; with E17, the EQ is more dominated than the power. You probably won't find E17's bass quite as tight as E11, but purely on volume wise, E17 will have more.

If you really want a lot of bass boost, try the digiZoid ZO2.3.

I'll PM you.

Jan 11, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #135 of 6,777

Quote:

I absolutely agree with you. Even though I'm new to all this I can tell that my E11 has lots of power. I can barely stand listening past volume setting 4 on the E11. It just feels strong hitting notes whereas the E7 felt lower powered. Thanks for your insights. My E17 has been ordered. I can't wait to try out a few things, like using the camera connection kit from Apple to get digital out from my iPhone. I'll even make a project out of getting digital out from my HP TouchPad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back