FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Mar 29, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #5,656 of 6,777
Quote:
Yes

It may not work sometimes. But rarely.

A hub can be passive or active. If the DAC draws too much power(maybe battery charge feature is on). It may not work with a passive hub(one that doesn't use external power) if it draws too much and other active devices are connected to that hub.

But yes. USB 3.0 is backwards compatable with USB 2.0.

Every 3.0 hub I've looked at has an external power supply, so it sounds like I'd be good.

Mar 29, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #5,658 of 6,777
I have the initial impression that the E17 is a bit more dynamic (as someone else said) and smoother in the treble when its gain is set to maximum.  I'm surprised if this is borne out, because I had assumed the volume control was purely digital.  

On my Arrow 4G, this is definitely true, presumably because the all-analog design reduces loop feedback when at higher gains.  I am using it at mid-gain, and finding it takes a bit of edge from the treble, but also some detail is lost....  

(HD650 + iPad 3 with Arrow; MacBook Pro with optical to E17 and no USB cable.)

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #5,659 of 6,777
I have the initial impression that the E17 is a bit more dynamic (as someone else said) and smoother in the treble when its gain is set to maximum.  I'm surprised if this is borne out, because I had assumed the volume control was purely digital.  

On my Arrow 4G, this is definitely true, presumably because the all-analog design reduces loop feedback when at higher gains.  I am using it at mid-gain, and finding it takes a bit of edge from the treble, but also some detail is lost....  

(HD650 + iPad 3 with Arrow; MacBook Pro with optical to E17 and no USB cable.)

Just my opinion, but the E17 sounds the same at all gains to me.

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #5,660 of 6,777
For those with Windows 7 and an E17 / E09K combo...
I got tired of looking at the generic "Car Radio" SPDIF Interface icon in the sound mixer so I changed it.

Right Click the volume control in the notification area and select Playback Devices.
Click on the SPDIF Interface (FiiO USB DAC-E17) and select Properties.
On the properties dialog screen click the Change Icon Button.
Select the previously saved Icon file below and hit OK.

Save this Icon file in your Docs or Pics...
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/29361323/E17-E09K.ico
(Right Click the link in FireFox and select "Save Link As")

Much nicer IMHO.
beerchug.gif

Apr 1, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #5,661 of 6,777
I just received my FiiO E17 and I have a question concerning it's battery life.

I will use it 100% of the time connected to my home PC. 
If I set it to "USB Charge ON" will it last 20 years from power supply point of view OR after a few years when the battery dies it will stop ?

Apr 1, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #5,663 of 6,777
Quote:
I just received my FiiO E17 and I have a question concerning it's battery life.

I will use it 100% of the time connected to my home PC. 
If I set it to "USB Charge ON" will it last 20 years from power supply point of view OR after a few years when the battery dies it will stop ?

If you'll be using your E17 plugged in all the time I would recommend running it off the battery for a few hours maybe once or twice a month just to keep the battery conditioned. Don't drain it completely though as this is actually worse for lithium ion batteries.

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #5,664 of 6,777
Correct Panda Battery Procedure:
When the device is in use, do not use USB charge. Turn it off. When the E17/E07K is on it's final bar of battery, turn USB charge(or the USB cable) on and charge it to full. And then unplug or turn off USB charge and use until you are on your last bar of battery left. When you see the bars reduce to one, it would be best to start charging(sometimes you are out, and you can't, that's understandable, a few times won't hurt). Li-ion batteries like the one's found the in the FiiO E17 Alpen's don't react well to a full cycle of charge and FULLY de charge until the battery is dead. This has been proven to be actually bad to the life of li-ioin batteries. HOWEVER., you should do a full cycle where you fully charge up the device and use it all the way until the device automatically turns off ONCE every month or two as that has been shown to actually be good for the battery WHETHER you use it constantly or not. Do not fear my friend, even if USB charge is turned off when the device "dies" it will still charge after it runs out of power naturally as the E17/E07K's firmware will reset!

Li-ION batteris on general will last effectively 1000 complete charges before battery drops below about ~70% of the original storage. This is still acceptable by most consumers standards.

20 hours full battery life * 1000 effective uses =20,000 hours / 24 hours a day = 833 days theoretically before the E07K under theoretical conditions will decrease to 70% of its original storage life and this is with a full depletion and then charge cycle. And that is 24 hour usage as well.

FiiO currently reports that they will send replacement parts for a very low price. The battery is not that hard to user replace(but not under warranty). 

Partial charges for Li-ION's are better but of course constantly doing partial ones has also been reported to have an effect on the device as well which is why I recommend to charge before all power is gone and to charge till full.

The last point to make is that you can't use a device if you keep on babying it. Using a device and enjoying it is part of that batteries intent and life cycle. Honeslty, ANYTHING you do to it will have an effect on battery life. The majority of the time, it is a minute effect to something like an audio device. (This advice does not hold for Power Wheels, those buggers need proper battery handling). Enjoy the device, theoretically it will hold up well for many years.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/battery_performance_as_a_function_of_cycling
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Disclaimer: I am not an expert on batteries. I am self taught. Please correct me if something is wrong. But use sources and not just something your papa or person told you to always do.

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #5,665 of 6,777
This sounds terrific BUT the FiiO E17 is placed behind my PC. It's not possible to check it. My question was - if I set it not to charge will it die. The answer was clear - yes.
So I will put it On charge and it should last forever.

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #5,666 of 6,777
Quote:
Correct Panda Battery Procedure:
When the device is in use, do not use USB charge. Turn it off. When the E17/E07K is on it's final bar of battery, turn USB charge(or the USB cable) on and charge it to full. And then unplug or turn off USB charge and use until you are on your last bar of battery left. When you see the bars reduce to one, it would be best to start charging(sometimes you are out, and you can't, that's understandable, a few times won't hurt). Li-ion batteries like the one's found the in the FiiO E17 Alpen's don't react well to a full cycle of charge and FULLY de charge until the battery is dead. This has been proven to be actually bad to the life of li-ioin batteries. HOWEVER., you should do a full cycle where you fully charge up the device and use it all the way until the device automatically turns off ONCE every month or two as that has been shown to actually be good for the battery WHETHER you use it constantly or not. Do not fear my friend, even if USB charge is turned off when the device "dies" it will still charge after it runs out of power naturally as the E17/E07K's firmware will reset!

Li-ION batteris on general will last effectively 1000 complete charges before battery drops below about ~70% of the original storage. This is still acceptable by most consumers standards.

20 hours full battery life * 1000 effective uses =20,000 hours / 24 hours a day = 833 days theoretically before the E07K under theoretical conditions will decrease to 70% of its original storage life and this is with a full depletion and then charge cycle. And that is 24 hour usage as well.

FiiO currently reports that they will send replacement parts for a very low price. The battery is not that hard to user replace(but not under warranty). 

Partial charges for Li-ION's are better but of course constantly doing partial ones has also been reported to have an effect on the device as well which is why I recommend to charge before all power is gone and to charge till full.

The last point to make is that you can't use a device if you keep on babying it. Using a device and enjoying it is part of that batteries intent and life cycle. Honeslty, ANYTHING you do to it will have an effect on battery life. The majority of the time, it is a minute effect to something like an audio device. (This advice does not hold for Power Wheels, those buggers need proper battery handling). Enjoy the device, theoretically it will hold up well for many years.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/battery_performance_as_a_function_of_cycling
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Disclaimer: I am not an expert on batteries. I am self taught. Please correct me if something is wrong. But use sources and not just something your papa or person told you to always do.

I like the other Avatar better!  
redface.gif

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #5,667 of 6,777
Quote:

I like the other Avatar better!  
redface.gif

It's Steve Guttenbug month :)

Audiophile April is our theme for April and this month, we celebrate Steve. Steve has been a friend to Tyll and to our community for many years. As a CNET writer on audio, he is able to share our views to the rest of the world.

Let's give it up for Steve

If you look closely, you will see something on his chest 
rolleyes.gif
 The symbol of manliness

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #5,669 of 6,777
Quote:
How does this compare to the E07K?

The E17 has a more powerful amp. From what I recall the E07K can only drive headphones up to the 150-ish ohm range whereas the E17 can drive 300 ohm headphones. This is one reason the E07K lasts much longer on the battery. The E07K and E17 contain the same DAC if I recall correctly. Another difference would be the placement of buttons which I find much more convenient on the E17 since they're on the face of the device. I'm sure there's some other differences I'm missing but I was trying to decide between the E07K and E17 myself for a while and finally decided to get the E17 since I've been looking at some 250-ohm Beyerdynamics.

Hope that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back