Fiio E7 on Windows 7
Mar 20, 2013 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

randmazn

New Head-Fier
I'm pretty sure this has been mentioned before but I couldn't find any fixes.
I noticed that my E7 was working great a few months back when I first bought it, but now I'm beginning to notice that more and more often audio is beginning to cut in and out like a skipping record and as a result I get these really annoying half second gaps randomly when I plug it in to my laptop via USB. When I use just the 3.5 mm input from my ipod or from my pc, the audio doesn't skip. So when I use it with USB the sound quality suffers but when I use it with the 3.5 mm cable then it doesn't function as a DAC. I've checked and confirmed that its not my cables or my headphones. I'm running windows 7 on my laptop so I tried it with another laptop running vista which came up with the same issues. Then I tried it on a really old desktop running XP and it worked PERFECTLY. I haven't a clue why. Does anyone have any fixes for this? I've already tried resetting the E7, changing the default format from 16 bit 48000 Hz to 16 bit 32000 Hz, and changing the USB/microUSB cable but nothing works. Please help
frown.gif

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #4 of 6
I am guessing that you have the 64bit version of W7 (as do I). I had similar issues and after much research it appears as if these clicks, etc, are being generated from your USB ports and it is a grounding problem that relates to W7 64bit. (Some 64 bit machines exhibit no problems at all). I tried many solutions and two made a difference.

1 http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/downloads/Windows_7_Optimization_Guide.pdf

This made a really big difference though it wasn't totally successful. it might work for you as my sound issues were more pronounced. Yours might be simple switching issues and this could solve them.

2 Use JRiver Media Centre as your media player. It solves this and I don't know why. The caveat is that it will cost you a few dollars. I get no issues at all now and I am running the E7/E9 combo. the JRiver is a great media player.

Good luck and let all of us know if it works

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the advice!
I tried the steps given in the windows optimization link that you gave and so far I'm noticing far less popping and distortion but its definitely still there. I don't know if its just the placebo effect so I think I'm going to have a friend listen for a bit to see what he thinks. In the meantime, I guess I'll try out JRiver in the meantime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back