FiiO FD1 - 10mm 1DD IEM
Jun 27, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #31 of 381
I certainly wouldn't described these as bass heavy and I personally find them quite mellow and definitely found them comfortable.

Whilst I wouldn't described these as flat, they are pretty smooth right through the frequencies.

Early days yet though. I really need to listen to them a lot more and through a lot of different sources before commenting more in them.

I shall keep you all posted.

Jun 27, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #32 of 381
We have 2 very different owner's opinions so far. Interesting...

Jun 27, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #33 of 381
My apologies for giving a partial response. My reply was to why a random FR graph would indicate that the FD1 might be lacking in the lower range.

I should've prefaced my initial impression with:
1. In my experience, a DD only offering can really be a shadow of it’s true potential, right out of the box. My TFZ No. 3 had the same malady, right out of the box.
2. my rig (for break in) is only meant to give the IEM a workout. Not be used for daily playback.

At the 24 hr mark I’ll switch over to a balanced cable, connect to my (portable setup of choice) Radsone ES100. Give a listen. Then rinse and repeat at 48 hrs., then, ...

Bloody hell - thin and sibilant - my worst nightmare. Everything I hate in an IEM. Why did FiiO advertise these as bass heavy and non-fatiguing? I was hoping for Tin T2 treble and TFZ No.3 bass. Any recommendations?
We have 2 very different owner's opinions so far. Interesting...

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #35 of 381
Bloody hell - thin and sibilant - my worst nightmare. Everything I hate in an IEM. Why did FiiO advertise these as bass heavy and non-fatiguing? I was hoping for Tin T2 treble and TFZ No.3 bass. Any recommendations?
Wait.

Just give it time for those that have it to let the drivers break in, to listen to a lot of different music, and to try different ear tips, before jumping to conclusions. It may be ultimately be thin and sibilant, but we don’t know that yet.

eHello, im looking for a new in-ear monitor. FH7 or this FD1!?

It’s to early to tell right now, but those 2 IEMs are on very different levels.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #37 of 381
To put your query into automotive terms: VW Type R or (VW) Bugatti Veyron. I'd go for the Veyron
Even though the order is reversed, I’m assuming that you’re referring to the FH7 as the Veyron? If not, the FD1 is gonna sell out really fast. :relaxed:

Jun 27, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #38 of 381
Mine arrived yesterday. Initial listening reveals a really nice sounding IEM. Normally I'm not a big believer in burn in but I suspect these may open up somewhat after a couple of days of Trance, Floyd and Rush. I will be posting a full review with pics (when I've written it). I'm also happy to answer any questions anyone may have about them.

PopZeus (excellent handle BTW) - they're pretty efficient - directly from a Galaxy Note 8 full volume is very uncomfortable. My little Benjie player (which sounds unbelievably excellent BTW) drives them loud at about 40% volume.

A couple of points I've noticed about the FD1's.

Pretty mellow - whilst being detailed, they're not ear piercing at all.
Bass goes deep - but only when it's called for - you wouldn't think these were bassy headphones until the bass actually kicks in.
Medium insertion depth into the ears - not terribly good at isolation external noise but this doesn't change the sound quality.
Comfortable - but it took me a while to find the right tips - they come with a good selection - including Comply foam.
Cable looks and feels groovy!
They look really good.
Got them yesterday and I agree with you on comfort, isolation and bass except that the bass goes deep nearly all the time! OK they're not like TFZ No 3 and the sub bass is not as much as TFZ no 3 but it does do a good punching for most of my songs (pop/rock).

And I really do NOT think they are thin and sibilant (sorry Igcubana) BUT I have been using my TRN VX lately so comparing to that FD1 is no match at all in the silbilence department.

For that price and you get this kind of packaging I think Fiio is quite generous. The cable actually feels like their LCE one or whatever (the one with three choices of connections)

Jun 27, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #39 of 381
Why did FiiO advertise these as bass heavy and non-fatiguing?

FiiO did not advertise the FD1 as anything really. They marketed them, saying just about everything. Talking out of both sides of the mouth as to interest a wide range. The trick is to have you see what you want or like and think it will be that. They used loose, balanced, rich, precise, and all kinds of words. They said it was high strength magnetic force for a tight sound and sharp transients and quick, and blah blah to make those that wanted it think they will be refined and tight and have ability while having enough bass and the rich and powerful and blah blah for the more bass focused people. So, they said some of both and nothing definite. Like the "popular sound" term which is nice an vague and not region specific and could mean different things to different people.

If they did indeed get a great mix in between that is a bit of everything then they did a great job. Some oomph and put on those bass tips and be happy if you want more bassy and smooth. Tighter and fairly balanced with occasional kick with the balanced tips or others you may like and the more balanced but not lacking punch crowd will be happy too. We will see more exactly what they did with them and how well soon enough.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #40 of 381
And WTH! Now supposedly 16 blue FD1 in stock on Amazon. So, why don't they ship? 2 left when I ordered. Then 6, then down again. Now 16. Never had this with Prime on an item that says Prime free shipping and said in stock in various quantities for a whole week. Probably should just cancel. Usually odd things happen like help from above to give me a chance to rethink so thinking I should move on.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #41 of 381
And WTH! Now supposedly 16 blue FD1 in stock on Amazon. So, why don't they ship? 2 left when I ordered. Then 6, then down again. Now 16. Never had this with Prime on an item that says Prime free shipping and said in stock in various quantities for a whole week. Probably should just cancel. Usually odd things happen like help from above to give me a chance to rethink so thinking I should move on.
Amazon does stuff like this... It's been very evident this year with high demand stuff like pools and deck boxes. Cancel and reorder as soon as you can, chances are it'll say your cancellation may not go through cause your item is about to ship.

Usually when it says in stock on "x" it'll actually be in sooner...

Jun 27, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #42 of 381
You have an actual gem on the way, so don't worry too much.

Jun 27, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #43 of 381
@jant71 - looking back, you are correct. I read what I wanted them to be. :slight_frown: Good marketing strategy, for sure.
But the Amazon description does say "strong bass".
FiiO did not advertise the FD1 as anything really. They marketed them, saying just about everything. Talking out of both sides of the mouth as to interest a wide range. The trick is to have you see what you want or like and think it will be that. They used loose, balanced, rich, precise, and all kinds of words. They said it was high strength magnetic force for a tight sound and sharp transients and quick, and blah blah to make those that wanted it think they will be refined and tight and have ability while having enough bass and the rich and powerful and blah blah for the more bass focused people. So, they said some of both and nothing definite. Like the "popular sound" term which is nice an vague and not region specific and could mean different things to different people.

If they did indeed get a great mix in between that is a bit of everything then they did a great job. Some oomph and put on those bass tips and be happy if you want more bassy and smooth. Tighter and fairly balanced with occasional kick with the balanced tips or others you may like and the more balanced but not lacking punch crowd will be happy too. We will see more exactly what they did with them and how well soon enough.
fd1..JPG

Jun 27, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #44 of 381
@bystander - I hope you're right, that these are gems. I don't want another Tin T2 iem, nor do I want a TFZ No.3 - I already have them. Like jant71 said - we will all find out soon.
Although I'm an infrequent contributor, I'm a long time lurker and EVERYONE'S input is valuable to me, so thanks Head-Fi members.

Jun 27, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #45 of 381
24 hrs in,...

I’m a basshead (there I said it), with an aversion to elevated spikes in the 4K range.

While The FD1 does not fatigue me, I wouldn't classify them as overly warm, like the Blon BL03. Skip the Blon BL05; I don't have them, but I know where I would rather spend $59.99 USD. This is what you want: rich sub bass, without mid bass bleed. Instruments and vocals are clean. I’ll have to do some A/Bing against my Moondrop DLC & KPE next.

Pros
Takes to EQ very well
Sub bass with authority,
Clean mid bass,
No discernible sibilance/hiss, that would cut my listening time
Wide presentation,
Vocals are well balanced, against instruments

Cons
Honeymoon phase. I'll check back at 48 hrs

Spotify
“In the Air Tonight”, Phil Collins
On most of my budget friendly IEMs the playback sounds pinched; on the FD1 It plays wide. That chorus of “Remember” is outside of my head.
“When I get my hands on you”, Lost on the River
The sub bass is deep, with no discernible mid bass bleed.
”Yesterday”, Beatles
Minimal instruments, but great separation. Vocals are just in the right place, forward, but not dominating.
“Hotel California“, Eagles (7:12 version)
1st 30 seconds are impactful and clear, kick drum feels like you’re at a live concert. Vocals are spot on; especially considering the era that this song is from.
”House of the Rising Sun”, Animals
This is a song (as much as I like it) that I can’t normally playback at a respectable level of volume, without fatiguing my ears. No irritation to speak of.

Running a 16 core, balanced cable, into my Radsone ES100
FiiO FD1 EQ.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back