Fiio FT5
Nov 10, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #106 of 352
Just an update on my rudimentary impressions... they need EQ. I found that the sound was increasingly muddy, and lacking in detail, probably due to the flat FR.

I used Poweramp EQ to autoeq them using the Sundara 2020 eq, and they sound significantly more lively. The issue is, I don't really want to have to EQ them. Given the Harman-esq tuning of the FT3, I was hoping that the FT5 would be the same. I'm also using an ifi Gryphon with Tidal connected via USB, which bypasses any attempt to EQ them from my phone.

Again, I am no expert here, and have only really started to use really good over-ears in the last year or so, but my hope of planar versions of the FT3 with bigger earpads comes with some significant caveats for me.

I'm sure those who have access to great DAPs, their own music collection and like (and know how to) tweak will love these, but I just want to be able to plug and play.

There are two sets of pads, right? Do the pads change this aspect of the sound at all? On the FT3 I noticed the suede pads provided a bass boost, but that was really the only difference.

Nov 10, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #107 of 352
Just an update on my rudimentary impressions... they need EQ. I found that the sound was increasingly muddy, and lacking in detail, probably due to the flat FR.

I used Poweramp EQ to autoeq them using the Sundara 2020 eq, and they sound significantly more lively. The issue is, I don't really want to have to EQ them. Given the Harman-esq tuning of the FT3, I was hoping that the FT5 would be the same. I'm also using an ifi Gryphon with Tidal connected via USB, which bypasses any attempt to EQ them from my phone.

Again, I am no expert here, and have only really started to use really good over-ears in the last year or so, but my hope of planar versions of the FT3 with bigger earpads comes with some significant caveats for me.

I'm sure those who have access to great DAPs, their own music collection and like (and know how to) tweak will love these, but I just want to be able to plug and play.
Which pads did you use for your impression?

Nov 10, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #108 of 352
There are two sets of pads, right? Do the pads change this aspect of the sound at all? On the FT3 I noticed the suede pads provided a bass boost, but that was really the only difference.

Which pads did you use for your impression?
I tried both. I could not really tell a difference between the two honestly. I did on the FT3, but not this one.

Nov 10, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #109 of 352
Just received the FT5. Fresh out of the box on the miniDSP EARS to give you an idea of the FR but it is of course not really calibrated. I have to go out with my wife so just the very, very first impression that they are a bit darker than I expected. The two sets of pads make surprisingly only a minor difference in sound - I possibly prefer the pleather ones (bit more clear/airy bit less bass) and more space for my earlobes.
I like the cable and the case (same as for my FT3). The headband system might be a bit small for my (big) head.
FT5--KA8KCGsIS_GGWVSRm2km0A.jpg

The orange line are the suede pads, the blue one the pleather pads. Probably ignore the bass roll-off (seal was definitely not perfect).
FT5_stoc_pleather-blue-vs-suede-orange.jpg

... have to go.

EDIT: ... there seems to be not much interest in the FT5 (?) but I will add some info anyway:

The pads have an outer diameter of 100mm (as opposed to the 95mm of the FT3) but the inner dimensions are a bit limited: The suede-likes are about 60mm x 50mm, the (p)leather ones are closer to 65mm x 55mm. Both are comfortable in terms of material/touch but my ears do not fit well into the suedes. The slightly padded headband is also quite nice and balances the weight very well with a good amount of clamp but it uses a suspension strap which is a bit to tight and lifts the cups a bit too much for my rather big head. So my earlobes touch the lower part of the pads. I hope that relaxes with time.
Otherwise the build is really good and most importantly I like them in terms of their sound (a bit to early for a final impressions; mechanical and neuronal burn-in still going on).

FT5pads--xp02tRVvT7O4Yepy84A5Nw.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2023 at 4:52 AM Post #111 of 352
Just received the FT5. Fresh out of the box on the miniDSP EARS to give you an idea of the FR but it is of course not really calibrated. I have to go out with my wife so just the very, very first impression that they are a bit darker than I expected. The two sets of pads make surprisingly only a minor difference in sound - I possibly prefer the pleather ones (bit more clear/airy bit less bass) and more space for my earlobes.
I like the cable and the case (same as for my FT3). The headband system might be a bit small for my (big) head.
FT5--KA8KCGsIS_GGWVSRm2km0A.jpg
The orange line are the suede pads, the blue one the pleather pads. Probably ignore the bass roll-off (seal was definitely not perfect).
FT5_stoc_pleather-blue-vs-suede-orange.jpg
... have to go.

EDIT: ... there seems to be not much interest in the FT5 (?) but I will add some info anyway:

The pads have an outer diameter of 100mm (as opposed to the 95mm of the FT3) but the inner dimensions are a bit limited: The suede-likes are about 60mm x 50mm, the (p)leather ones are closer to 65mm x 55mm. Both are comfortable in terms of material/touch but my ears do not fit well into the suedes. The slightly padded headband is also quite nice and balances the weight very well with a good amount of clamp but it uses a suspension strap which is a bit to tight and lifts the cups a bit too much for my rather big head. So my earlobes touch the lower part of the pads. I hope that relaxes with time.
Otherwise the build is really good and most importantly I like them in terms of their sound (a bit to early for a final impressions; mechanical and neuronal burn-in still going on).

FT5pads--xp02tRVvT7O4Yepy84A5Nw.jpg
We're all interested. We just did not want to incur the wrath of your wife.

Nov 11, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #112 of 352
There's a significant discrepancy between your test results and the test results from professional equipment, so they should not be used for reference. @TheFritz
FiiO FT5 official website
My measurements are to demonstrate the relative differences between the pads which is independent of the "absolute" calibration... The main difference in the presentation is the calibration of the miniDSP-EARS FR to your professional FR which uses HPN compensation in my case.

EDIT: ... and by the way: the driver matching of the FT5 is excellent as you may also see in the (unsmoothed and unweighted) individual measurements which barely deviate from the rms-averaged ones and from each other for a given pad set. That is a very positive message... if you are used to read FRs.

EDIT 2: Here are UNCOMPENSATED "RAW" measurements of my FT5 on the miniDSP-EARS - if you really prefer that representation ( I do not because that is not how you actually perceive audio). (P)Leather pads only. The seal is better (the foam compressed more) - so no bass roll-off. And the same general message; very good driver matching, but a bit dark in its sound.
FT5_RAW_pleather.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2023 at 5:24 AM Post #114 of 352
My initial excitement is tempered…they are probably not as good as I thought, especially if they need EQ which I don’t like. So was thinking about the FT3 and I messaged Fiio if my Q3 MQA has enough power feed them but according to Fiio I need a stronger AMP. So the FT3 is useless with the Q3 MQA (and also my Ifi hip-dac 3 I suppose ). 400mW is not enough. To bad… maybe I buy a Sivga but reviews of them are not as good as the FT3…I tried several HiFiMan but the Q3 has not enough power for them either. To be honest I don’t think I have much options left (150,- to 450,- euro max)

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2023 at 5:32 AM Post #116 of 352
My initial excitement is tempered…they are probably not as good as I thought, especially if they need EQ which I don’t like. So was thinking about the FT3 and I messaged Fiio if my Q3 has enough power feed them but according to Fiio I need a stronger AMP. So the FT3 is useless with the Q3 MQA (and also my Ifi hip-dac 3 I suppos). To bad… maybe I buy a Sivga but reviews of them are not so good as the FT3…I tried several HiFiMan but the Q3 has not enough power for them either. To be honest I don’t think I have much options left (150,- to 450,- euro max)
Although there is a 32ohm version of the FT3 available. I'm sure the Q3 is powerful enough for that version?

Nov 11, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #119 of 352
Although there is a 32ohm version of the FT3 available. I'm sure the Q3 is powerful enough for that version?
Is there? I did not know that. I hope they sel those in the Netherlands, I will search for them…

Nov 11, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #120 of 352
Because one guy on a forum tells they are muddy because of beeing "flat" (?!) doesnt mean they "need" eq in any given way. High Fidelity means as close to the original as possible, so a basically flat reponse is exactly that. When this guy is more into V-Shapped, thats fine, but doesnt tell anything about the FT5 at all!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back