[FIIO K11]Truly Balanced, Truly Brilliant! Desktop DAC and Headphone Amplifier
Jan 2, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #91 of 158
The next question is will there be any benefit in terms of sound if I use some other amp with let’s say 4000mW output?
No, unless you want to listen at a deafening level. Your XS has a 92 dB/mW sensitivity, so with 500 mW it reaches a maximum sound pressure of 119 dB.

Jan 2, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #92 of 158
Thank you, okay, great. So, if I understand right, it will make literally no difference to the sound QUALITY if connected SE(720mW) or BAL(570mW) or even to 4000mW, right? I just want to make it clear for myself, because when reading about the XS I often come across something like “they scale pretty well and require plenty of current to get the best out of them so something more powerful is highly recommended”.

Jan 2, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #93 of 158
^
So, if I understand right, it will make literally no difference to the sound QUALITY if connected SE(720mW) or BAL(570mW) or even to 4000mW, right? I just want to make it clear for myself, because when reading about the XS I often come across something like “they scale pretty well and require plenty of current to get the best out of them so something more powerful is highly recommended”.

Absolutely no difference to sound quality as 720mW is more than enough to drive them to hearing damage levels, and don’t believe everything you read.

Jan 2, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #94 of 158
Thank you, okay, great. So, if I understand right, it will make literally no difference to the sound QUALITY if connected SE(720mW) or BAL(570mW) or even to 4000mW, right? I just want to make it clear for myself, because when reading about the XS I often come across something like “they scale pretty well and require plenty of current to get the best out of them so something more powerful is highly recommended”.
I would like to clarify my answer. The K11 has enough power to run the XS without distortion or clipping. Another thing is the claim, popular among some audiophiles, that you need extra power available (even if you never use it) for these, or other headphones, to give their maximum quality. This is something I am not going to comment on, basically to avoid long discussions that I find boring and useless.

Jan 3, 2024 at 1:18 AM Post #95 of 158
Good, I think I get it with amplification)

A question about DAC. Am I right assuming that K9 will give a better sound quality for the same headphones because of its higher-level DAC while K11 has an entry-level one?

Jan 3, 2024 at 2:53 AM Post #96 of 158
Good, I think I get it with amplification)

A question about DAC. Am I right assuming that K9 will give a better sound quality for the same headphones because of its higher-level DAC while K11 has an entry-level one?
Honestly, I don’t know. My experience with various DACs boils down to comparing the DAC included in the Fiio K5 Pro (AK4493EQ) with the Topping D30 Pro (4 x CS43198). I listen to both DACs almost daily with the same tracks and with the same headphones, and find no noticeable differences.

Jan 3, 2024 at 3:51 AM Post #97 of 158
Okay, I understand)

One more question about K11 output. We are given info for 16 ohm (output is se720/bal570mW) and 32 ohm (se520/bal1400). What will be the output power for 18 ohm and 14 ohm?

Jan 3, 2024 at 6:10 AM Post #98 of 158
Okay, I understand)

One more question about K11 output. We are given info for 16 ohm (output is se720/bal570mW) and 32 ohm (se520/bal1400). What will be the output power for 18 ohm and 14 ohm?
Imposible to say precisely without testing, but very close to the values at 16 Ohms.

Jan 3, 2024 at 6:30 AM Post #99 of 158
Got it, thank you, ahmonge!

A question about output impedance. In the specs we see 1.2Ω for SE and 2.4Ω for BAL. Does it mean that with BAL connection something with the sound will become worse than with SE because of the 2x higher output impedance? (taking into account the 18 Ohm headphone impedance)

Jan 3, 2024 at 6:50 AM Post #100 of 158
Got it, thank you, ahmonge!

A question about output impedance. In the specs we see 1.2Ω for SE and 2.4Ω for BAL. Does it mean that with BAL connection something with the sound will become worse than with SE because of the 2x higher output impedance? (taking into account the 18 Ohm headphone impedance)
The output impedance of an amplifier is only relevant if a) it is very high, similar or higher than that of the headphones and b) if the impedance of the headphones has a high reactive component that varies greatly with frequency, which is not the case with planar magnetic headphones, which only have a resistive component that is constant over the entire frequency range. This is the case of the Hifiman XS. Therefore, I would not worry about this issue, regardless of which headphone socket you connect them to.

Jan 3, 2024 at 8:19 AM Post #102 of 158
Great, got it)

As far as I understand there is absolutely no difference between SE and BAL connection in my situation. Or am I missing something to take into consideration?
Yes, a small difference, so use the one that fits your headphone cable’s jack.

Jan 3, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #104 of 158
Just want to check if I take the most from the setup)

ahmonge, thank you very much for helping me! People like you make this world a better place!
You are welcome. One of the great things about these forums is helping each other.

Jan 7, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #105 of 158
Received the K11 today. Set up very easy, no issues. It’s a surprisingly small compact unit. Feels nice enough though and sits on the desk and stays there.

First impressions? Goodness me, this is a very nice ‘entry’ level piece of kit. Powerful in balanced mode and drives the Sennheiser HD 660s2 and HD600 with ease. Using the NOS (no filtering ) worked best for me. Clean, clean sounding. Great detail retrieval. Enjoyable with plenty of room to go very loud.

I’ve owned the K5 before and this easily surpasses it. I’ve owned the K7 and to be honest I actually prefer this K11. I own the K9 (Standard Edition) and this runs it fairly close IMO. Not in the power output stakes but I really think it comes close in sound.

Early days of course but I can say right now that this K11 is a mega bargain at the price. Give this little thing an audition and I think you will be well pleased.
Sorry to ask but ... you have a K5/K7/K9 ... why buy a (near) entry level K11??? I am pretty confident FiiO are not gonna make a DAC/AMP at just over a hundred quid which outdoes the others, no? (no offense) :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back