Fiio L9 or iPod Touch Problem?
Jun 18, 2012 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Xinn3r

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
I just bought a Fiio L9 LO for my iTouch, and when the L9 is plugged in, I can only hear the left side working.
Naturally, I contacted the seller and he said he can arrange for a new one.

But he also said to check first whether it was the L9, or is it my iTouch LO that's the problem?
Can anyone confirm that iTouch has this problem? I never read about it before

Jun 18, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #2 of 4
If you iPod touch has the problem I would just use a pair of earbuds, IEMs, or headphones and see if you can hear both channels.  If so then the iPod is good to go.  If the iPod has an issue it will most likely be with the jack or the connector you are using through the jack.  I am under the impression you are using the headphone jack to run the signal into your L9 and not some sort of LOD that takes the line out from the charger section of the iPod?

Make sure you are using a stereo jack connector to plug into both the iPod's jack and the L9.  If for some reason you are using a bad cable or one that is mono you are only going to have one channel.

Tests:

1.)  Use a pair of headphones with your iPod or connect it via headphone jack to your TV / home stereo's aux in jack.  You can test both left and right that way.

2.)  With the iPod connected to the L9 and while listening to music gently wiggle the cable at both jack ends.  Does the other channel pop in and out?  This indicates that the cable / jacks are bad.

3.)  Try several music files to make sure it is not the recording.

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
If you iPod touch has the problem I would just use a pair of earbuds, IEMs, or headphones and see if you can hear both channels.  If so then the iPod is good to go.  If the iPod has an issue it will most likely be with the jack or the connector you are using through the jack.  I am under the impression you are using the headphone jack to run the signal into your L9 and not some sort of LOD that takes the line out from the charger section of the iPod?

Make sure you are using a stereo jack connector to plug into both the iPod's jack and the L9.  If for some reason you are using a bad cable or one that is mono you are only going to have one channel.

Tests:

1.)  Use a pair of headphones with your iPod or connect it via headphone jack to your TV / home stereo's aux in jack.  You can test both left and right that way.

2.)  With the iPod connected to the L9 and while listening to music gently wiggle the cable at both jack ends.  Does the other channel pop in and out?  This indicates that the cable / jacks are bad.

3.)  Try several music files to make sure it is not the recording.

The Fiio L9 is a LOD, which straight away takes the LO from the charger section.

Anyway, thank you for the detailed explanation.

In the end, I borrowed my friends iPod to isolate the problem. 
Turns out it was the cable, because the same thing happens when I'm using his iPod.

But the weird thing is, the channel imbalance only happens in low volumes... when I crank up the music, the imbalance dissapears..
I'll return them and get a new one anyway, so thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back