[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Apr 20, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #3,586 of 5,698
Dear friends,

If the M17 has 128GB version, would you like to get one?:smile:

Best regards
I definitely think it would be good for some people! I would be interested. I keep my music files on an SD card but offline steaming data on the dap!

Apr 20, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #3,587 of 5,698
Dear friends,

If the M17 has 128GB version, would you like to get one?:smile:

Best regards
@FiiO , if I were you invest your R&D in other features to upgrade first. The m17 is a really well rounded DAP that surely can compete with the best of the best in the DAP world. With that being said most people who know about DAP's don't compare the internal memory specification between units as then determine which DAP to buy. And if they do it is ill informed as most users utilize SD cards which negate the need for "large," internal storage. With that being said to me if you were to upgrade to 128 gb internal memory it would just feel like Fiio was trying to keep up the "specifications," war so they can compete on paper without offering the user any real increase in benefit. Even the ram at 4GB is more than adequate. When other players tout 6GB or even 8GB I have to laugh because 4GB is more than enough. The only reason to have more RAM is to run more apps (considering the system load with just 4GB of ram is very snappy,) at the same time which kind of defeats the minimal nature of a DAP, right? Music first is my mode of operation.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #3,588 of 5,698
I could find a power supply, with USB-C ports that can theoretically provide on one port 12V-15V/3A ? Though it seems to be limited to 20W (I could measure myself that it's a real 12V output on the third port USB-C3 when connected to the M17) of course assuming you buy a USB-C female to 5.5 mm/2.1 adapter
At least, on the M17 it allows to activate the Enhanced Audio Mode, and can still provide juice to maintain the battery charged at 85% ad I have set in the Battery Charging optimization option.
I found that power supply on Amazon in Europe with European plugs adapter included.

https://minix.com.hk/products/neo-p3

1650435311478.png

So you just need to buy a small USB-C female to 5.5mm male adapter for the M17 that can be found on Aliexpress

1650435865518.png

With the Samsung EB-U3300XJEGU 10000 powerbank ... you probably get the most portable powerful DAP to be able to move properly on the way such headphone as the DCA Stealth ..

1650436400635.png

I seriously doubt that it will sound better than with the stock PSU.

Apr 20, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #3,590 of 5,698
As a hard user of streaming services I would prefer to have even more :)
Apple Music let's you select SD Card for download storage. Do other streaming apps not support this option?

Apr 20, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #3,592 of 5,698
I’ve had my M17 for months now and absolutely love it. Simply not using desktop gear now, even for my HE-6.
FiiO, if you’re talking upgrades, the onboard memory wouldn’t matter to me as I don’t use it, unless as said min 512. 1 TB would of course be perfect but that isn’t going to happen is it.
As far as upgrades I would say two card slots, and a new volume wheel, say twice the height, with more resistance and maybe a beautiful knurled design and steel. And then a top end leather case that would better anything else out there. I would say charge for the case as I’m pretty sure most folks would be happy to pay for a beautiful sleeve.
I mention a better volume know for ease of use as well as aesthetics, but not moving the volume so easily would be good.
Those are my immediate thoughts re upgrading the 17. I would not really like to be in a position to sell mine, but if I was open to doing that, these suggestions would be a minimum for me to consider it.
I feel if you are going to upgrade it, you should really make it a genuine upgrade worth considering, because I think it’s likely that all owners out here are probably happy with it as it stands now. I wouldn’t particularly like to see an upgraded model so soon, but if there’s going to be one, make it something really desirable, and a genuine attempt at a M17 version 2.0

Apr 20, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #3,593 of 5,698
Is there a way to use the M17 dac mode with an ipad? Ie set it so that it doesn't draw power from the connected device?
You could use Airplay. Do you have a iPad pro with the USB C?

Apr 21, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #3,598 of 5,698
We are so sorry we didn’t make a clear explanation before.During the R&D process, we had considered both the 4G+64G and 6G+128G solutions for the M17. However, we gave up the 6G+128G solution in the end due to the supply chain issue and consideration of devoting more to sound quality. When developing the M17, we ordered a small amount of 6G+128G materials. Eventually, on our 15th anniversary, we would like to sell 20 pieces of M17s of 6G+128G which has been produced well as a special model. They will be available at our AliExpress official store for 1899.99 USD on April 26, 2022. If you are interested, don’t miss the chance.

Here share a story of M17 that we have been released before!

Chapter 5 Why is the RAM and FLASH of M17 only 4G+64G?

In fact, when the M17 was in the internal beta process, our users raised this question. In fact, it was uncontrollable. Here I would like to explain it in detail.

At present, there are very few processors appropriate for android-based music players. FiiO has already adopted processors from Samsung, Rockchip, Qualcomm, etc. Rockchip's has weak performance, Samsung's has poor compatibility while Qualcomm's is currently the most appropriate. Therefore, four Chinese brands all applied the Qualcomm processor to their music players.

Due to the small order in the player industry, we had to order standard modules which have fewer optional configurations, including RAM+FLASH of 4+64 and 6+128. However, there are several problems with the module.

--Long lead time: the current lead time is 6 months.

--Minimum order quantity (MOQ) restriction: the current MOQ is 3000 RMB.

--High cost: each processor module is very expensive.

--The configuration of 6+128 is much more expensive than the 4+64, which means the retail price will be correspondingly increased.

Therefore, if we adopted the 6+128 module to the M17, there would be some problems.

--For consumers, it is worth buying a high-capacity micro SD card than paying more money for higher RAM and FLASH storage.

--We have to invest several million for the order of the module, which would be stressful for our production.

--The price of the M17 is relatively high. It was difficult for us to predict the sales at the beginning, so we were cautious about the order quantity of the module. And if we choose the 4+64 module, we can reserve more because we have other products also using it.

More details:

In the business world, the sales mode of micro SD card and HiFi portable player is exactly the opposite. As a digital accessory, micro SD cards have an annual sales volume of hundreds of millions. It is standardized with a large market. Commercially speaking, the cost of brand promotion and R&D can be ignored. Therefore, its retail price and hardware cost are very close.

Since portable HiFi players are a very niche product, there is almost no standardization. Therefore, the retail price includes marketing, research and development expenses. It is expensive for retailers. Therefore, the retail price and hardware cost are far away from each other.

Therefore, considering that 4G RAM is completely sufficient for music players. Larger RAM only allows the player to run more apps, yet it is bad for sound quality. More FLASH capacity can be achieved via a micro SD card. If it's still not enough, we have designed dual Type-C ports for the M17, so that it can be connected to a large-capacity hard drive.

The original link of this story : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/story-the-story-of-fiio-m17-from-fiio-james.960565/#post-16677829

Last edited:
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 21, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #3,600 of 5,698
I would be really happy if Fiio produced special power bank with fixed USB/DC12V3A output for M17 to activate Enhanced mode on the go.
This is the only Power bank that I know to reliable activate EHP mode. Not cheap and a bit bulky but, voltage and amperage output can be precisely selected, ensuring no damage to the. M17.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back