FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Mar 15, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #1,502 of 3,173
Tried the optical input using an HDMI audio splitter. Works nicely with the Q5

20180315_091048.jpg

Mar 15, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #1,504 of 3,173
How’s Bluetooth reliablity and sound from an iPhone X? I typically hate using Bluetooth for anything but it’s so convenient. Audio quality is of the utmost importance for me with this setup. Convenience is nice but not at the expense of SQ.

Mar 15, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #1,505 of 3,173
How’s Bluetooth reliablity and sound from an iPhone X? I typically hate using Bluetooth for anything but it’s so convenient. Audio quality is of the utmost importance for me with this setup. Convenience is nice but not at the expense of SQ.

If you are listening to AAC tracks like Apple Music, it is as good as wired. For MP3 or lossless tracks, it's so-so since iOS doesn't support natively and reverts to SBC. These are technical facts. As for the sound quality of AAC versus lossless, there is no consensus from scientists and audiophiles alike. What one can infer from this ongoing debate is that AAC is pretty damn close to lossless quality. In my experience an AAC from a high quality master sounds better than a lossless file from a low quality master. Apple Music gets all of their music directly from the recording companies in 24/96 format and converts to AAC.

On a side note, all my music is ALAC lossless but use AAC for my iPhone due to storage space. I was very happy to learn that both ALAC and AAC files names are identical so I can use the same playlist M3U files for either ALAC or AAC tracks. That fact that Q5 supports native AAC codec on BT was perfect. I also noted previously that BT from an iPhone X uses very little battery compared to wired. I suspect Apple has not implemented higher bandwidth BT so that battery life is optimized.

Mar 15, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #1,506 of 3,173
If you are listening to AAC tracks like Apple Music, it is as good as wired. For MP3 or lossless tracks, it's so-so since iOS doesn't support natively and reverts to SBC. These are technical facts. As for the sound quality of AAC versus lossless, there is no consensus from scientists and audiophiles alike. What one can infer from this ongoing debate is that AAC is pretty damn close to lossless quality. In my experience an AAC from a high quality master sounds better than a lossless file from a low quality master. Apple Music gets all of their music directly from the recording companies in 24/96 format and converts to AAC.

On a side note, all my music is ALAC lossless but use AAC for my iPhone due to storage space. I was very happy to learn that both ALAC and AAC files names are identical so I can use the same playlist M3U files for either ALAC or AAC tracks. That fact that Q5 supports native AAC codec on BT was perfect. I also noted previously that BT from an iPhone X uses very little battery compared to wired. I suspect Apple has not implemented higher bandwidth BT so that battery life is optimized.

Thanks. I’m currently bouncing around between Apple Music, Spotify and Tidal. I long ago left behind the days of encoding my own music. My experience with music over Bluetooth, though, has been lackluster. It’s fine in the car but even there I can tell a distinct difference between wired and Bluetooth. I’ll have to do some testing to see if it’s acceptable.

Mar 15, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #1,507 of 3,173
Thanks. I’m currently bouncing around between Apple Music, Spotify and Tidal. I long ago left behind the days of encoding my own music. My experience with music over Bluetooth, though, has been lackluster. It’s fine in the car but even there I can tell a distinct difference between wired and Bluetooth. I’ll have to do some testing to see if it’s acceptable.

There are few BT devices that natively decode AAC files. What you are likely hearing in your car is a low bandwidth SBC codec. Furthermore, on the Q5, Fiio bypasses the BT chip decoder and sends the AAC stream directly to the AKM DAC chips so in theory, there should be no sound difference of an AAC track played via BT or USB wired.

Mar 16, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #1,509 of 3,173
Is it possible to control Q5 via FiiO Music App using iPod Touch 6th Gen? I mean is there possibility of changing filter or usb settings with iPod Touch?

Yes since 6th gen runs the latest version of iOS. Go ahead and install it just to be sure. You don't need a Q5 to run the app.

Mar 16, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #1,510 of 3,173
What do you guys think about the AM5 amp module with the Q5? Does it sound much different from the default one? Or would it only be worth getting if I have hard-to-drive headphones?

I'm just wondering if you guys have noticed different sound signatures with AM5 and the other modules. Or if it's best to just stick with the default one.

I haven't actually purchased a Q5 yet, but I'm really interested, since my first ever DAC/amp was a Fiio and it'd be interesting to try their highest-end model.

Mar 16, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #1,511 of 3,173
I got mine today. How do I change the filters? I downloaded the FiiO music app and didn’t see anything in there about filters. That said, the app needs lots of work. Not a good first impression, I’ve got to say. It’s not even optimized for the iPhone X.

Mar 16, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #1,512 of 3,173
I got mine today. How do I change the filters? I downloaded the FiiO music app and didn’t see anything in there about filters. That said, the app needs lots of work. Not a good first impression, I’ve got to say. It’s not even optimized for the iPhone X.
Ha I have the same question. I just unboxed mine, found the Control app doesn't work, I know I saw one of the reviewers post pics of modifying settings through an app, but I haven't figured it out yet. I also have an X and agreed, the FiiO music app is crap. The Onkyo player works very well and so far my impressions are good. I'm swapping out an older TEAC HA-P50(b) for the Q5.

Mar 16, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #1,513 of 3,173

Once your Q5 is connected via BT to your iPhone, look for "Q5" under settings. There you will see filter options. Once set to whatever filter you want, it will remain that way until you change it again. So you are free to use whatever music player you like best and can use the FiiO app just to make changes to the filters.

Mar 16, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #1,514 of 3,173
Once your Q5 is connected via BT to your iPhone, look for "Q5" under settings. There you will see filter options. Once set to whatever filter you want, it will remain that way until you change it again. So you are free to use whatever music player you like best and can use the FiiO app just to make changes to the filters.
Ah I see; it only works over BT and not with the USB connection. Bummer. Thanks!

Mar 16, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #1,515 of 3,173
Ah I see; it only works over BT and not with the USB connection. Bummer. Thanks!

For Q5 settings, yes only BT, but once you select what you want, it will remain that way and you can connect via USB to play music from whatever music app you want that supports external DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back