FiiO X3 MKii the best for the price?
Dec 24, 2015 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

seanwee

Headphoneus Supremus
Im going to get myself a FiiO X3 2nd gen for new year.

But before i buy it i would like to ask if it is the absolute best for the price or is there another product with better value?
Example : Same features but lower price or more features/ better sound for slightly more

Dec 24, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #3 of 11
I can not say best because I have not heard all the competition out there. I can say it's hard to beat with its sound and all the utilitie it has.
I have the 1st gen very happy with it. Olny tried the 2sd for a short time not worth it to upgrade for me but I was impressed with it.

Dec 24, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 11
  Im going to get myself a FiiO X3 2nd gen for new year.

But before i buy it i would like to ask if it is the absolute best for the price or is there another product with better value?
Example : Same features but lower price or more features/ better sound for slightly more

Can you find a place to try out the X3ii with your music to hear if it is that much much better than the X1 to warrant spending the money? Do you already have high enough quality headphones or earphones to use with your X1? If not, then perhaps spending the money on headphones or earphones might be a much better choice. I have the X1 and am very satisfied with it, although it is heavy and bulky to keep in a shirt pocket, so I plan to use the X1 only at home, and use smaller and lighter players portably. The X3ii is 4.8 ounces, vs 3.7 ounces for the X1. Will we soon see you posting about upgrading to the X5ii?

Instead of spending too much on audio, perhaps you should think about investing some money? It is good to start investing at a young age.

Dec 25, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #5 of 11
With the X5 2nd Gen out, you can get the X5 1st Gen for only $240. Cheaper, if you're lucky.

I had the X3ii first, and was not terribly impressed. It's great for the price. Sure. But I upgraded to the X5 Classic (1st Gen), and felt it was exactly what I wanted. Greater soundstage, smoother, more detailed sound. Utterly quiet background noise.

The X3ii has some nice features, though. Like Deep Sleep mode. The scroll-wheel is not as funky.

They are more a like than they are different. The sound of the X5 made the "side-grade" worth it, to me.

With the latest firmware, the X5 scroll-wheel is not as terrible as once it was. :)

Dec 25, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #6 of 11
I like its ability to be used as an external dac with my laptop.

The lower output impedance is also welcome as i am using 8 ohm headphones - FAD Pandora Hope VI. (1/8 rule)

10 band parametric eq and Native DSD playback are also nice extras 
biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #7 of 11
The X5 Classic can be used as a DAC.

The output impedance is low enough your phones will not complain.

The X5 has EQ. The X3 sill converts DSD to PCM.

Dec 25, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 11
The X3 sill converts DSD to PCM.

The new one? I thought that it can natively decode DSD ?

If so then I would get the X5 if I can find one at such a low price.Thx for the heads up on the price.

Dec 26, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #9 of 11
What about modding my X1? Here's a look inside http://soundnews.ro/2014/10/08/fiio-x1-hi-res-for-everybody/

Any components that I can change inside other than the. Pcm 5142 chip?. Seems like a cheaper option. Would it be possible to change the amp as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back